Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
You said you got out the vacuum and stirred them up and sucked them down. Were they dead?
Nope, I just had the hose out and went after them like a jouster! There are more now again, though. I have three ACV traps out with dish soap in them but they're multiplying faster than I can kill them.
sickbyc.gif

I give my chickens kale, spinach or collard leaves that I grow myself. They love 'em and those leaves are very nutritious. Kale and collards are 2 of the best veggie sources of vitamins and minerals.
I wish I lived in a place with a longer growing season. Growing fodder is perfect for us in the Northland and also for those in desert areas.

I've been reading this thread with interest since its inception and finally decided to try this on a small scale before jumping in. I recycle when I can, so I used clear take-out containers. I cut the top and bottom apart, and burned holes evenly in the larger top side for drainage.

The top side of the container is deeper and nests perfectly in the bottom section that I use for excess drainage.

I have these consecutively from right to left (I know, it's kind of backwards): soak 24 hours in the round container, then move to the to-go container with drainage holes. The next pics are days 2 and 3 (also right to left lol) in the draining trays. I am very pleased with how easy this has been. I can stack the trays double for the first 2 days, but by the 3rd day, the roots are growing pretty thickly and there isn't enough space. Now just to wait a few more days for the finished product and decide on how to proceed on a scale that is a bit larger. Thanks everyone for all the information!

what grains did you use?

To Leslie in OR, I don't know if this is helpful based on where you live but on Craigslist I have found several people who sell (or sometimes give away) food grade containers/barrels etc. There's also a Yahoo Group called Freecycle that you can join if there's one in your area, and all that stuff people list IS free. Two good resources... if they are in your area :0)
I think food grade plastic is very important (even at that I prefer steel, ceramic or glass whenever feasible) and worth sourcing when it comes to food production, feeding and watering animals. JMHO. I wish someone made food grade gutters, I'd be ALL OVER that method of sprouting, it sounds GREAT :0)
Cheers!
Ann

what grains did you use?
MG15 congrats on diving in and making use of your plastic containers! I too, have quite a collection and will be putting them to use as you have done, thanks for the inspiration!
I am wondering what you used to burn the holes into the containers?
AND Would you consider taking a picture that's from a little farther away so i could see the whole system in action? I'd be most grateful
love.gif

Cheers!
Ann

Today is day #3 of feeding fodder to my chickens. I can already see I'm going to have to double production! They are loving it.
clap.gif
Isn't it wonderful!!! I will have to feed nothing but layer pellets today because guineas got the trays of fodder when they were outside draining. But I love they are getting fresh live food and doing so well on it.

To Leslie in OR, I don't know if this is helpful based on where you live but on Craigslist I have found several people who sell (or sometimes give away) food grade containers/barrels etc. There's also a Yahoo Group called Freecycle that you can join if there's one in your area, and all that stuff people list IS free. Two good resources... if they are in your area :0)
I think food grade plastic is very important (even at that I prefer steel, ceramic or glass whenever feasible) and worth sourcing when it comes to food production, feeding and watering animals. JMHO. I wish someone made food grade gutters, I'd be ALL OVER that method of sprouting, it sounds GREAT :0)
Cheers!
Ann

I am resorting to Craigslist. I might try freecycle, too ... though it seems there is a bit of a local sub-industry of people collecting and reselling food-safe buckets and barrels, so am not holding my breath for "free." The going rate seems to be about $15 to $25 for a 55 gallon barrel which might then need some modifications to get it open at the top ... Meh. I haven't figured out the password for getting the inside scoop on what local industry is generating these containers for the recyclers.

For the gutter style feeders, I'm thinking taking a large potable water pipe, cutting it in half the long way, and capping the ends. Not sure how large of a water pipe I can find as a "regular" person. Just about any scrap would do ...

I was having a little fantasy about finding a huge glass barrel to use for fermenting ...

(go ahead and google "water pipe" ... I'm so drab I was actually surprised by the top hits I got for this
lau.gif
)

I am resorting to Craigslist. I might try freecycle, too ... though it seems there is a bit of a local sub-industry of people collecting and reselling food-safe buckets and barrels, so am not holding my breath for "free." The going rate seems to be about $15 to $25 for a 55 gallon barrel which might then need some modifications to get it open at the top ... Meh. I haven't figured out the password for getting the inside scoop on what local industry is generating these containers for the recyclers.

For the gutter style feeders, I'm thinking taking a large potable water pipe, cutting it in half the long way, and capping the ends. Not sure how large of a water pipe I can find as a "regular" person. Just about any scrap would do ...

I was having a little fantasy about finding a huge glass barrel to use for fermenting ...

(go ahead and google "water pipe" ... I'm so drab I was actually surprised by the top hits I got for this
lau.gif
)
I'm guessing the hits weren't the same water pipes you can find in the plumbing dept at your local Lowes????
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom