Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
The whole 7/day 3-4/day nutritional content debate has me thinking. I've read elsewhere that hauling grass clippings into the chicken run is good bedding and good fun for them. I don't want to deal with impacted crops, either, but want the best nutrition. So this morning I "mowed" my fodder with a scissors. I'm only working on a small-scale and I realize this isn't realistic for every day (though it didn't take long). It's an easy fix for those times when it looks like it grew too long and might cause crop issues. And it was kinda fun.
wink.png

Today the ladies will get a coop-cleaning. I like hanging out with them. I'll clean my coop, too. Not as fun, but then again people seem to know where to go potty in the house. I don't know why I enjoy those chickens so much, but they sure are fun for me. I can't imagine how much fun it will be to finally find an actual EGG!
lau.gif

Carol

I too was worried about impacted crops! I told my husband I was going to take my immersion blender and weed eat my fodder!!!
wink.png
I have not ever heard of on impacted crop from fresh grass greens. All that I have heard of came from large stalky stuff unlike fodder. My personal opinion is that we don't need to worry about impacted crops from fodder.

Have fun, MarineCorpFrmr! HOOOOORAHHHHH!
Guess what I found in my chicken coop nesting box this morning! HAHAHAHAHA I always said I would carry it around for the day once I finally got an egg, but I was so hungry I ate it. It was GOOD!! I sure hope there's another one tomorrow. Three of my hens are old enough to start laying. The rest won't be until February, which is a tough month to lay (still pretty dark). I'm supplimenting their light and I think it must be helping! You are SO right, it feels like a holiday!!

556893_4019412969228_953121234_n.jpg

Carol

OOOOOOOH RAH.

The lighting does work, its just not instant. The hens plucked out the timer pegs on the timer i was using so the lights have been on 24/7 for a few weeks now. End of december I'll kill the lights and let em do their thing on their own.

Whoo Hoo!!!
yippiechickie.gif
Hope you get another one tomorrow!!! That must be their thank you for the fodder and cleaning their coop! lol!

Guess what I found in my chicken coop nesting box this morning! HAHAHAHAHA I always said I would carry it around for the day once I finally got an egg, but I was so hungry I ate it. It was GOOD!! I sure hope there's another one tomorrow. Three of my hens are old enough to start laying. The rest won't be until February, which is a tough month to lay (still pretty dark). I'm supplimenting their light and I think it must be helping! You are SO right, it feels like a holiday!!

Carol

Carol

WOHOO congrats
highfive.gif
That first one is the best tasting egg EVER. And the next one, and the next....And cooked perfectly too, i love them like that!
droolin.gif
yum, now I 'm hungry!

OOOOOOOH RAH.

The lighting does work, its just not instant. The hens plucked out the timer pegs on the timer i was using so the lights have been on 24/7 for a few weeks now. End of december I'll kill the lights and let em do their thing on their own.
WELL.... I just found today that my timer had been messed up. BAD. They were getting light 23 1/2 hours a day of light
lau.gif
I really have no idea how long that has been going on..... I need to move that timer so we don't accidentally change it. BUT it didn't really have any impact on the laying except one hen.... she laid me 2 eggs a day SEVERAL times... really within 12 hours. She is the only one in the pen so YES she did it. I have a couple of other pullets in there (1 was laying and stopped) and 2 hens but it didn't really change their laying. I bet they start to molt now
roll.png
Oh well.....

I personally did have a chicken die from impacted crop, we put grass in the pen.... never again. Fodder I would think is much smaller, thinner really and they can PULL off what they want.

I've been less than successful with my sprouting trial of oats. Seems to take WAY longer for them to progress. Other people's day 3 looks like my day 7, what couldbe causing this?

The room I am using is colder, I'll get a thermometer in there to see exactly what it is.

I'm also rinsing two to three times a day, and I think I read oats don't like that

Or are my oats the problem? Too old? Etc? I'm keeping them in the garage, which is -10 or so, which might be a problem too

Any other thoughts?

Scott

Back
Top Bottom