Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
Do not under any circumstances ever consume or have your animals consume "seed wheat!" Feed wheat is untreated seed. Seed wheat may have been treated with poisons to prevent rotting when planting. If they pull those plants out of the trays and consume the dirt/root I'd be concerned about it. Recleaned wheat from my purchases has been feed wheat, but it says so on the bag. My chickens have eaten squares of sod that I dug up for them and they picked it apart and ate the roots, some of the dirt, etc. My DH has a member of the family that accidently bought some treated grain and ate it - got poisoned from it. Just my opinion.
Our seed wheat is local and isnt treated. First thing I had my buddy check when he called to order it.

I have the seed sprouted and gave to my chickens and ducks and they wont have anything to do with them. for 3 days now, the sprouts are still sitting in the yard. any suggestions?

I read on this site that feed grain is treated and tougher to sprout/grow so to ask for seed grain specifically. I've been feeding fodder for six weeks and it's going very well. My fodder could not sit for three days as it's freezing out there. If my chickens had other choices I don't know that they would be as crazy about it, but they have no source for greens right now as it's the dead of winter in MN.

I'm feeding race horse oats, or rather, trying to grow fodder with them. I'm trying to keep it warmer than the barley and wheat fodder. I had one batch that grew very well... since then, I have a very low sprout rate. Are the feed oats really treated for sprouting? Wouldn't it say so on the tag or something? Getting a little frustrated with them.

My plans are to use oats, wheat, barley and sometimes BOSS for fodder and then I'm sprouting milo (because I can't seem to get it to a fodder size without developing mold problems) and I'm also sprouting fenugreek. They really like the fenugreek and milo. They're learning to like the fodders... I live in the desert and I have no grass of any sort for them to eat so they're having to learn that this green stuff is really yummy and good for them too!
lol.png

I'm feeding race horse oats, or rather, trying to grow fodder with them. I'm trying to keep it warmer than the barley and wheat fodder. I had one batch that grew very well... since then, I have a very low sprout rate. Are the feed oats really treated for sprouting? Wouldn't it say so on the tag or something? Getting a little frustrated with them.

My plans are to use oats, wheat, barley and sometimes BOSS for fodder and then I'm sprouting milo (because I can't seem to get it to a fodder size without developing mold problems) and I'm also sprouting fenugreek. They really like the fenugreek and milo. They're learning to like the fodders... I live in the desert and I have no grass of any sort for them to eat so they're having to learn that this green stuff is really yummy and good for them too!
lol.png
The bag should have a list of ingredients on it or there was a tag on it with them what does it say. Pure oats I think would say ingredients oats. and something about weed seed or something similar but not list any chemicals at all.
It will not in general say not treated but if it does not list any chemicals then it is not treated

Back
Top Bottom