Growing fodder for chickens

Hmm, my wheat is sprouting pretty well but the top layer of seeds seem a little dry and isn't as sprouted as the bottom layer. Am I doing something wrong?
hu.gif
I'm guessing there's more moisture underneath--maybe water more? Are you wetting it down twice daily? If I do only once daily the growth stops and it dries out. It doesn't die, just gets a little dormant. Once I water it again it takes off. There's no soil to hold the moisture, and without moisture it wasn't growing at all. Once they're growing they will hold moisture better. It's amazing the change that happens in a seed in just 7 days, isn't it?

Took a tray out to our chickens today for the first time. They weren't afraid of it at all!
The acted as if they ordered it weeks ago and had been waiting impatiently and finally I had brought the long awaited treat. They tore right into it.
I had to take it back and tear it in half so the low pecking order girls had a chance.

I am on day 3 and I can see little sprouts. Can't wait to see the change tomorrow. I hope I get a good amount to see what the birds will do this weekend when I feed it out.

That's the same thing I am saying.  I do have sprouts!!!!

CONGRATS!!!! Im sure you have a better mixture than I!!! All i could come up with in this stupid tundra death town is Boss and navy beans!!! Lol NO ONE carries any seeds this time of year...I argued with DH about the navy beans and he said a bean is a bean and should be nutritious! :/ :lo:rolleyes: i just stopped arguing while he added the beans to the boss! Lol well see!!! Anybody know offhand the protein or nutritional value of just boss? Yes Im being lazy as I dont want to go through this whole thread to find it!!

I'd try the cheapest wild birdseed you can find. I think I get 30lbs at Tractor Supply for $10

Careful with wild bird seed! Please be certain it doesn't have milo (sorghum) in it before sprouting. I haven't finished researching the subject, but I've read scientific reports that indicate milo sprouts and young growth contain hydrocyanic acid (cyanide).

It is perfectly fine to feed dry; there is no toxicity risk.

I just looked up some laboratory findings. It indicates that the HCN obtained from sprouts grown from 100 gm (3.5 oz) of the seeds exceeds the fatal dose for humans.

Last edited:
Careful with wild bird seed! Please be certain it doesn't have milo (sorghum) in it before sprouting. I haven't finished researching the subject, but I've read scientific reports that indicate milo sprouts and young growth contain hydrocyanic acid (cyanide).

It is perfectly fine to feed dry; there is no toxicity risk.

I just looked up some laboratory findings. It indicates that the HCN obtained from sprouts grown from 100 gm (3.5 oz) of the seeds exceeds the fatal dose for humans.

Well, that's really interesting because I have been sprouting milo for my birds. I let the sprouts get about a half inch long and then feed them out. I haven't had a single bird die yet.

CONGRATS!!!! Im sure you have a better mixture than I!!! All i could come up with in this stupid tundra death town is Boss and navy beans!!! Lol NO ONE carries any seeds this time of year...I argued with DH about the navy beans and he said a bean is a bean and should be nutritious!
hmm.png
:lo:rolleyes: i just stopped arguing while he added the beans to the boss! Lol well see!!! Anybody know offhand the protein or nutritional value of just boss? Yes Im being lazy as I dont want to go through this whole thread to find it!!

No numbers, but some general info here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/254436-nutritional-value-of-sprouted-sunflower-seeds/

CONGRATS!!!! Im sure you have a better mixture than I!!! All i could come up with in this stupid tundra death town is Boss and navy beans!!! Lol NO ONE carries any seeds this time of year...I argued with DH about the navy beans and he said a bean is a bean and should be nutritious!
hmm.png
:lo:rolleyes: i just stopped arguing while he added the beans to the boss! Lol well see!!! Anybody know offhand the protein or nutritional value of just boss? Yes Im being lazy as I dont want to go through this whole thread to find it!!
Between 10 and 15% dry not sprouted. Don't know about sprouted.

Back
Top Bottom