Growing fodder for chickens

Wow thanks guys!!! Ill go check it out...I have to remind everyone when I say I live in the Tundra I mean it...we have almost NONE of those stores but if I travel an hour away i have a sams and walmart but were not in a big farming area so they rarely carry any of that;(

I am on day 7. I have some sprouts, a few sprigs of green, no root base yet. The oats have just started to sprout. I am still experimenting. Perhaps the seeds were not the best because, I started a few inside the house to see if I would have better results if I had a consistence temperature and they are at the same point as the ones in the barn. The BOSS seeds are doing the best. I am a little disappointed but not given up since I don't think I have figured the whole process out yet.

I purchased some wheat so I will start a little of that and see if I get better results.

Nat, I find the smell rather nice. Good figure.

Here are some pictures of my current "crop," after five days. The containers I use do NOT have drainage holes. I do drain the water well everytime I water/rinse the wheat. I water/rinse the wheat twice a day. The containers get indirect sunlight through my kitchen bay window. I bought new trays but have yet to use them. These containers are just items in my recycling bin - Costco mushroom containers and similar stuff. Didn't want to punch holes in my trays if I didn't have too. I thought I'd try this out since I have AeroGardens which work on similar principles.

I am on day 7.  I have some sprouts, a few sprigs of green, no root base yet.  The oats have just started to sprout.  I am still experimenting.  Perhaps the seeds were not the best because, I started a few inside the house to see if I would have better results if I had a consistence temperature and they are at the same point as the ones in the barn.   The BOSS seeds are doing the best.  I am a little disappointed but not given up since I don't think I have figured the whole process out yet.

I purchased some wheat so I will start a little of that and see if I get better results.  

Nat, I find the smell rather nice.  Good figure.

OMG!! If my family doesnt stop crabbing at me about the smell I may just have to give it to the birds before they form root systems!! :( i brought them into kitchen to get better light today good thing im making chicken stock and pot pies to drown the smell!! Haha

I am on day 5 with my first try. I used hard red wheat and they have sprouted nicely. Have a root base and an inch of growth.
Lucky you. I just went down and thinned my layer of seeds thinking maybe it is just too thick. Now I have ten foil roasting pans full. It already looks better so that may have been my problem. They all smell okay and I am not seeing any mold. It does seem that the oats is taking longer to sprout. Has anyone else had that happen or is it possible it's just old seed?

I started some of my wheat to soaking so tomorrow I will start it. Thankfully I got ten gardening flats in the mail since my other is not ready to feed yet.

Back
Top Bottom