Growing fodder for chickens

How old are your chicks? Much of what I've read indicates chicks can't do much with fodder, but pullets and older can.

They are I think at 4 weeks now. I have lost track just alittle bit today haha

I have read about people giving their chicks fodder from the get go havn't i? I am going to just offer it again and see if they eat more of it now that they know what is going on...if nothing else it will provide them something to do while they are in the brooder for now! haha

I give my chicks fodder, and they destroy it. It took them a couple days to get used to the idea that it was food though. They're 5 weeks old now, and I've been giving it too them since they were about 3 weeks. Just a small square at first until they got the idea, now I give them about a square inch per chick. I look at the chunk and think about how much will fit in a crop, I also make sure they have acess to grit though! With the little guys that I just got I'm planning on trimming some of the greens into short lengths and putting them in the brooder for them to get after. they're only a couple days old though. once they've reached a few weeks I'll give them the shorter fodder, before it reaches the 3-4 inches I let it get to before I feed it to the other kids.

Here's my bantam cochin (we think...) and EE pullets (5 weeks or so) destroying their chunk of fodder
thumbsup.gif

They are I think at 4 weeks now. I have lost track just alittle bit today haha

I have read about people giving their chicks fodder from the get go havn't i? I am going to just offer it again and see if they eat more of it now that they know what is going on...if nothing else it will provide them something to do while they are in the brooder for now! haha
My birds didn't know what to think about the fodder when I first gave it to them. I think they were afraid of it. Once they got used to it, they love it and come running for it. Give yours a little time and I bet they will come around.

Regarding BOSS, I have read you have to be careful when buying it because if it is marketed for wild birds, it may have been sprayed or have a coating of something else. Anyone suggest a good clean brand? I have access to the Southern States brand at our local feed store. Also, Tractor Supply has their store brand. I just haven't been brave enough to buy either because of reading that somewhere. Thanks!

I don't think this got answered since I posted...so just reposting. Thanks!

I'm having a hard time getting any seeds so was wondering can I use the scratch grain feed for chickens to grow?

Regarding BOSS, I have read you have to be careful when buying it because if it is marketed for wild birds, it may have been sprayed or have a coating of something else. Anyone suggest a good clean brand? I have access to the Southern States brand at our local feed store. Also, Tractor Supply has their store brand. I just haven't been brave enough to buy either because of reading that somewhere. Thanks!

I don't know about anyone else's experience but I haven't heard or read anything like this. As far as I know, the ground underneath a bird feeder always grows something other than grass so I don't know about it being treated.

I just buy plain feed wheat at the feed store. It cost 11.00 for 50 pounds here!!

I feed my chickens and ducks 2 pounds of fodder everyday but they act like they are starving still. Is this normal?

The feed store only has oats. I'm hoping they will get some closer to fall when the farms start to harvest.

Back
Top Bottom