Growing fodder for chickens

I have read so much on here, but wanted to be clear. In an ideal situation, what exactly is the right combination to feed your chickens? Wheat and barley fodder on a daily basis, natural foraging, supplement with BOSS and kitchen scraps and as a "treat" scratch feed? Or is there a necessity for the commercial feed if they are getting enough protein from the other sources? If I can forgo commercial feed entirely that would be my first choice. The protein levels in the wheat and barley fodder would be sufficient no? Then in winter when natural foraging is out (for those of us in snowy climes) you would have to supplement? Sorry, am a newbie!!

I have read so much on here, but wanted to be clear.  In an ideal situation, what exactly is the right combination to feed your chickens?  Wheat and barley fodder on a daily basis, natural foraging, supplement with BOSS and kitchen scraps and as a "treat" scratch feed?  Or is there a necessity for the commercial feed if they are getting enough protein from the other sources?  If I can forgo commercial feed entirely that would be my first choice.  The protein levels in the wheat and barley fodder would be sufficient no?  Then in winter when natural foraging is out (for those of us in snowy climes) you would have to supplement?  Sorry, am a newbie!!

" In an ideal situation, what exactly is the right combination to feed your chickens?"

Give them barley fodder, then offer BOSS, that way any greedier chickens won't eat all of the latter and they should get an even share. Feeding fodder is nothing like mixing dry feed. :lol:

"Wheat and barley fodder on a daily basis, natural foraging, supplement with BOSS and kitchen scraps and as a "treat" scratch feed?"

They all have their place. Wheat and barley fodder as general feed. BOSS is good for added protein. Kitchen scraps can be given no matter what. I treat scratch the same as I do any other feed, so sure, if you want to, give them scratch.

Natural foraging is a big topic. I let my chickens forage 90% of their summer food. And during the winter, feed fodder. That other 10% is only a handful or two of pellets tossed near the house if they stray too far or anything else that require them to come to me. Then again, I free-range in a forested environment, meaning the have access to a large assortment of wild foods. If you only have a lawn with grass, I wouldn't recommend it.

"Or is there a necessity for the commercial feed if they are getting enough protein from the other sources?"

Not really. But there are little things, like are you giving them back their eggshells? If not, then they require the calcium added in layer feed. Protein is the major part of feed.

"If I can forgo commercial feed entirely that would be my first choice. The protein levels in the wheat and barley fodder would be sufficient no?"

Yes you can mostly forgo commercial feed, as I have, providing you are in the "ideal situation".

Oh, and another thing. The protein levels in wheat and barley fodder are sufficient for the chicken... But not for their egglaying. If you want eggs, you should go with the protein in BOSS.

"Then in winter when natural foraging is out (for those of us in snowy climes) you would have to supplement?"

Not really. As I said, the protein levels in fodder will sustain them. And since they don't lay during the winter, there shouldn't be any need for added protein. Of course, if you provide light, they will need BOSS. And if it's below 30F or so, I would give them a 'cropful' a day, which means all that they will eat, until they lose interest and walk off. Only do that once a day though. Chickens digest quickly and will come running for more if you offer. :)

Last edited:
Great post, crazyaboutchickens. Quick question guys: what if the barley I get doesn't work? Will chickens eat it or will it be a complete waste? We can't afford to keep paying for fodder-growing mistakes. The barley sacks are $22 for 20kg.

Great post, crazyaboutchickens. Quick question guys: what if the barley I get doesn't work? Will chickens eat it or will it be a complete waste? We can't afford to keep paying for fodder-growing mistakes. The barley sacks are $22 for 20kg.
My barley does just fine at the same conditions, so must be an old batch, or treated some how? Any road, try fermenting it if they won't eat it 'dry'. Mine love it that way - one of my favorite threads: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/9720#post_12161912

just do a thread search. Or just post "how do I do this"...

In the meantime, beans will sprout also, around here, lentils are actually cheaper than barley. Weird.

Thank you Crazyaboutchickens!! So helpful. I appreciate all of the advice. starting my "fodder growing" tomorrow to experiment. thank you again

I haven't tried it yet, just weighing out the risks.  Here's the link to the product I would be getting: could I assume that this barley is not pearled or treated?? 
http://shop.territorystockfeed.com.au/product/462/barley-20kg

The only way to be sure would be to contact them.

Thank you Crazyaboutchickens!! So helpful. I appreciate all of the advice. starting my "fodder growing" tomorrow to experiment. thank you again

You're welcome. :)

I did contact them weeks ago but never got a reply. Important question: one of our family members is coeliac disease and cannot have gluten under any circumstances. Barley has gluten, would this be transferred into the eggs of fowl that eat it?

I'm thinking I may have to use a box fridge to keep the barley cool enough to sprout at a decent speed. The temperature here is usually about 35 degrees Celsius.

I did contact them weeks ago but never got a reply.  Important question: one of our family members is coeliac disease and cannot have gluten under any circumstances.  Barley has gluten, would this be transferred into the eggs of fowl that eat it? 

I'm thinking I may have to use a box fridge to keep the barley cool enough to sprout at a decent speed.  The temperature here is usually about 35 degrees Celsius.  

As far as I know wheat has gluten too, and it is a component of many chicken feeds. So while I don't know about the details of Celiac Disease, if he or she can eat store-bought eggs, then homegrown eggs should not be a problem.

Apart from that, chickens assimilate the gluten in the barley, so no, there isn't any chance that it would turn up in the egg.

Back
Top Bottom