Growing fodder for chickens

I made it through all 264 pages Alleluia! I have a ton of notes. My cheat sheets. I began my fodder experiment today with 6 tin pans and a shelving unit I had. If it works then I will improve and grow the system to help feed my 50+ girls (chicken math, I refuse a solid head count to admit my addiction). I told my husband "Do you know how many women would do this to try to help save money" He replied "About 264 pages worth of them" lol I am beginning with barley. The setup is currently in the greenhouse because it is the best temperature controlled environment for the moment. I planned to start one tray but the seeds expanded more then I thought so 2 trays to start, covered with paper to keep them dark. This was after a 20 hour soak and wash in water with a splash of bleach.

The setup is currently in the greenhouse because it is the best temperature controlled environment for the moment. I planned to start one tray but the seeds expanded more then I thought so 2 trays to start, covered with paper to keep them dark. This was after a 20 hour soak and wash in water with a splash of bleach.

I'm surprised covered with paper they don't get moldy. Mine would if I did that.

I made it through all 264 pages Alleluia! I have a ton of notes. My cheat sheets. I began my fodder experiment today with 6 tin pans and a shelving unit I had. If it works then I will improve and grow the system to help feed my 50+ girls (chicken math, I refuse a solid head count to admit my addiction). I told my husband "Do you know how many women would do this to try to help save money" He replied "About 264 pages worth of them" lol I am beginning with barley. The setup is currently in the greenhouse because it is the best temperature controlled envir-onment for the moment. I planned to start one tray but the seeds expanded more then I thought so 2 trays to start, covered with paper to keep them dark. This was after a 20 hour soak and wash in water with a splash of bleach.
I agree, if you keep them covered, you will encourage growth of things you don't want. Let the air in, and if you REALLY want to help the growth, add a small fan to keep the air circulating.

I guess I should have been clearer. The paper is loose over the top to give darkness the first two days for sprouting as they are sitting in my greenhouse. During the 264 pages there were plenty of people doing such things. There is plenty of air movement and so far they are sprouting day one and growing well. I am using a bleach soak and no mold seen so far.

@ HELLOROE, I don't understand the "need" for darkness. If you look back on this thread you'll see pictures of the rack I built in my office, on the wall opposite the window. There is no 'darkness' here except at night. I haven't found any reason to stop light from getting to the grass(es) that I grow. The light is converted to green, and after all , isn't THAT what this is all about? Getting green for our chickens?

I have barley growing now, though I have tried red wheat, oats, sunflower seeds and corn. From what others have said here about their corn, I must have gotten the wrong corn, one seed out of a hundred (or less) will pop grass, and I didn't like the looks of what I would up with. However, the oats and wheat did well, and the sunflower seeds got me through a hard financial time when all I had was the BOSS, and a week to go before 'heading into town.'

How about taking some pictures of your setup and your finished grass and let us see what you are talking about and the final result?

Skip

I got my containers at a dollar store. For chickens you don't really need to wait for 6 days , three day is enough . Water often and dump run offs often( because it gets smelly ,fast) . You will definitely get you money back pretty fast .

I don't use any darkness either. 24 hour soak and then drain and rinse twice daily. My trays are just plastic screens so they don't hold water after the soak is done. They just allow me to rinse and drain the seeds. I use wheat and black oil sunflower seeds.

Back
Top Bottom