Growing fodder for chickens

I fed my first tray of boss to my bunnys this week. They loved it. I have trays of rye and boss growing and am soaking pumpkin seeds today.
My girls (chickens) all loved the BOSS when I did that for them, but pumpkin seeds?

OK, I HAVE to ask, did you buy the seeds, or are they from pumpkins you raised or bought at a store? I'm asking because I am thinking crazy thoughts right now about what I am going to plant in my new garden. I am already collecting the wood I need to build raised gardens, and stockpiled enough chicken wire to hopefully keep out the wild rabbits and yes, even my own birds.

Skip

After thanksgiving I left pumpkin scrapings in a container and before I fed it to the chickens the seeds sprouted. I put it out there anyway and they ate it and loved it so hopefully its ok.

My girls (chickens) all loved the BOSS when I did that for them, but pumpkin seeds?

OK, I HAVE to ask, did you buy the seeds, or are they from pumpkins you raised or bought at a store? I'm asking because I am thinking crazy thoughts right now about what I am going to plant in my new garden. I am already collecting the wood I need to build raised gardens, and stockpiled enough chicken wire to hopefully keep out the wild rabbits and yes, even my own birds.

Skip
Our local agway sells pumpkin seeds for squirrels. I am saving seeds from butternut squash,spagetti squash,and pumpkins that we grew. I have them in storage in my cellar. When I cook for us I save the seeds. I put them in the garage in NH so when I bring them in they think it is spring. This is my first batch of home grown seed. I am hoping they will sprout.

Just curious as to how long they sat?  How much sprout had grown in that time?
That's what I'm confused about myself. I thought it was only a couple days but there were some little green codeledon leaves all ready showing. So not sure I guess. Will have to try it again.

If anyone saw my last post, I was having trouble with mold forming in the late/unsprouted grains on day7. I poked some holes in the sides of the trays about 1/2 inch up and that does seem to have helped. Thinking I might move the shelf into the dining room where there's a ceiling fan for gentle air flow. I was thinking about getting these to replace my current trays. Thoughts?

Also, here's a testament to the miracle of fodder. We have had chickens for 2 years now, and during that time my oldest son would not eat the eggs. He said they were too rubbery, and that they didn't taste good to him. Since adding the fodder he has tried them again and he can't get enough! He's asked me almost every day if I'm making eggs for breakfast, gobbled up whole plates of them and says they taste totally different to him now. The only thing I've changed is the food!

If anyone saw my last post, I was having trouble with mold forming in the late/unsprouted grains on day7. I poked some holes in the sides of the trays about 1/2 inch up and that does seem to have helped. Thinking I might move the shelf into the dining room where there's a ceiling fan for gentle air flow. I was thinking about getting these to replace my current trays. Thoughts?

Also, here's a testament to the miracle of fodder. We have had chickens for 2 years now, and during that time my oldest son would not eat the eggs. He said they were too rubbery, and that they didn't taste good to him. Since adding the fodder he has tried them again and he can't get enough! He's asked me almost every day if I'm making eggs for breakfast, gobbled up whole plates of them and says they taste totally different to him now. The only thing I've changed is the food!
I haven't done any fodder but those look like they would give lots of air circulation. (I wouldn't mind trying those for my sprouts) I also would like to start sprouting BOSS.. Where did you find these at? Price?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom