Growing fodder for chickens

So here is my math...but I may be way off on my estimates:

1. I think I have ~30 chickens (when you have that many and they are the kids...you really stop trying to count and just say "I have too many".) I just buy the food when they are low so the following are guestimates on my current usage:

A. Currently:
(3) bags of 50 lb feed/mnth @$15/bag = $45
(2) bags 50 lb cracked corn @ $9/bag = $18 (kids prob over feed this, but it is what it is)

Total: $63/month in feed

B. Estimate with fermenting feed and fodder
I bought the following yesterday:
(2) 50lb barley @ $13/bag
(2) 50 lb wheat @ $13/bag
(1) 25 lb sunflower seeds @ $15/bag

Total is 250 lbs seeds x 6 (estimate on weight gain with fodder) = 1500 lbs green food/$67 spent = $0.044/lb of food

So to feed my 30 piggy chickens: (fig 2 lbs per each in food per week)
(2) bags of 50 lb feed/mnth @$15/bag = $30
30x1lb fodder x 4 weeks = 120 lbs fodder/month @ $0.044/lb = $5.28

So hopefully $35.28/mnth which is about 50% savings. As to if that will really happen...will find out this next few months :)
The math is a good place to start. But, it is not taking into account the fact that the grains/seeds you have bought are not providing a complete diet for your flock, even if you do sprout or ferment them. Keep in mind that sprouting and fermenting are very different processes. Are you saying that you will no longer feed your flock a processed feed (multi flock or layer pellets)? If your flock has access to good quality free range, this might work. Even so, if the range is good quality, I predict they will choose the range over a tub of sprouts. If they only have access to a typical run or back yard, then I predict that you will be facing some severe nutritional issues.

The math is a good place to start.  But, it is not taking into account the fact that the grains/seeds you have bought are not providing a complete diet for your flock, even if you do sprout or ferment them.  Keep in mind that sprouting and fermenting are very different processes.  Are you saying that you will no longer feed your flock a processed feed (multi flock or layer pellets)?  If your flock has access to good quality free range, this might work.  Even so, if the range is good quality, I predict they will choose the range over a tub of sprouts.   If they only have access to a typical run or back yard, then I predict that you will be facing some severe nutritional issues.  

The feed that they get is layena pellets. That is what I planned on fermenting and is noted in the $15 per bag price. (Based on all the reading I have done that says you can ferment their feed). They would be getting the same nutrients they always get, just now in fermented form or in grown sprouts. Come winter, there will be no outdoor greens to forage on.

The feed that they get is layena pellets. That is what I planned on fermenting and is noted in the $15 per bag price. (Based on all the reading I have done that says you can ferment their feed). They would be getting the same nutrients they always get, just now in fermented form or in grown sprouts. Come winter, there will be no outdoor greens to forage on.
My bad. I did not catch that you will continue with the pellets. In that case, you have a good plan. Yes, you can ferment any type of feed, whether it is processed feed or whole/cracked grains.

My bad.  I did not catch that you will continue with the pellets.  In that case, you have a good plan.  Yes, you can ferment any type of feed, whether it is processed feed or whole/cracked grains.  

No, my fault. I didn't specify what I meant by feed. I just assumed pellets = chicken feed, lol. Reading some more I realized others call anything feed. (I call everything else by grain name). Anyhow, hoping it all goes well and the birds like it :)

I've been growing wheat fodder.. my girls don't seem to care for it as much as I thought they would. Does it get bitter if to big?? Do you think they would like barley better?? They love lentils cooked.. would they sprout??

Yes, lentils sprout very well. BUT, don't use any other type of bean, like kidney and similar beans, b/c they are toxic unless cooked. In the winter months, I usually have some sprouts going for myself, and some for the chickens as well. My faves: lentils, pre packaged mixed seeds from health food store, alfalfa. When buying seeds at health food store, keep in mind that the "sprouting lentils cost about $7/#. The regular lentils meant for cooking sell for $1/#. Both sprout equally well. Guess which ones I buy? Even grocery store lentils sprout well. Chickens get: BOSS, wheat, barley, lentils, and this year, I'll have some field corn for them. I've also used millet with good results. Wild bird seed is fine to use, as long as it's only whole seeds. If it's got cracked corn or sunflower heart chips, I wouldn't use it.

thats a great idea..!! thanks
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif

Yes, lentils sprout very well.  BUT, don't use any other type of bean, like kidney and similar beans, b/c they are toxic unless cooked.  In the winter months, I usually have some sprouts going for myself, and some for the chickens as well.  My faves:  lentils, pre packaged mixed seeds from health food store, alfalfa.  When buying seeds at health food store, keep in mind that the "sprouting lentils cost about $7/#.  The regular lentils meant for cooking sell for $1/#.  Both sprout equally well.  Guess which ones I buy?  Even grocery store lentils sprout well.  Chickens get:  BOSS, wheat, barley, lentils, and this year, I'll have some field corn for them.  I've also used millet with good results.  Wild bird seed is fine to use, as long as it's only whole seeds.  If it's got cracked corn or sunflower heart chips, I wouldn't use it.  

Actually the toxin in raw beans is destroyed by either cooking OR sprouting, so any type of bean can be used. I've done all sorts including mung bean, chickpeas, northern beans, pinto beans, black beans, the aforementioned lentils, etc.

Back
Top Bottom