Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
Oh I get the 'no to family' SpeckledHen. I have an embroidery machine and do a lot of that work with quilts, etc.. Your work is beautiful and I agree with your thoughts on making and offering. No hurt feelings that way on either side of the table. I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I've learned that 'someone' always knows better quality, cheaper prices and faster turn around. I say let them have at it, the problem isn't with your work or prices, that's for sure! For your hands, it you haven't tried it already, 2 tbls, ACV, 2 tbls honey, mix with warm water and drink. If it's really bad you can add in some cayenne pepper and drink it fast. It takes about a week for it to really show, but if you keep at it you'll see results.

Noli nothis permittere te terere
Never heard of that for my hands, but I have done the ACV tea with honey when I had a very bad cold. Thanks!
smile.png

So sorry to hear you suffered a fire! I can only imagine how hard it is to try to get sorted out after something like that!
Wish I could do something, but distance would make the commute a bit rough so I'll have to settle for an internet hug! ((((((((SpeckledHen)))))))))))
Really hope things get better for you soon!
hugs.gif

Any tips on hand quilting? I know...practice, practice, practice. My problem is once I get my rhythm going and the stitches look nice and even on the front, the back looks a mess. I tell myself that it's ok but my 'perfectionist' self says 'Good Grief!'

Any tips on hand quilting? I know...practice, practice, practice. My problem is once I get my rhythm going and the stitches look nice and even on the front, the back looks a mess. I tell myself that it's ok but my 'perfectionist' self says 'Good Grief!'

I have the same problem and I'm still trying to deal with it. My friend Ellie in CA has her winter quilt I made her. The front is a log cabin pattern in reds and greens and the back was a beautiful patterned burgundy flannel and I was a little taken aback when she told me that after Christmas, she turned it over so the back was showing. The thread is a lovely color called Old Gold and the quilting motif is holly leave.That means the back quilting is right out there for all to see. I just periodically check the back as I'm going along to redo any stitches that are too long on the back or don't appear to catch the back fabric and show up properly. It's a challenge for me, even after 30 years of hand quilting.

Quote: Thank you for saying so, Kate. I had occasion to stay with her for 6 days after my house fire happened and see the runner in use. It looks beautiful in her bedroom, better every time I see it, but I've realized that this person is not who I thought she was in more ways than one in those six days, so hard to gauge what she really feels/thinks. Though I am eternally grateful that I had a place to go nearby so I could tend my chickens and watch over my property, in hindsight, I should have pitched a tent on my deck, lol.. Long story and one for another time and thread.

Last edited:
Thanks speckledhen for your insight! I will keep practicing and stop fussing so much over the back. Sometimes, I think the 'stressing over it' makes it worse than if I just relaxed and concentrated on placing the front stitches evenly. I have other things I need to spend money on so hand quilting is much more economical right now than buying a long arm machine plus it's a skill that is being lost these days. None of my friends or living relatives are in to quilting so I'm kinda out there on my own right now. I used to make some of my childrens' clothing and decor items for the house and have only gotten into quilting in recent years. I enjoy it very much, it combines quiet time with creativity and there have been times when piecing a quilt top has helped me keep my sanity.

And you know, I cannot sew anything to save my life! I never made clothing, tried, but just didn't manage to really learn. Quilting is more fabric art to me than sewing. Right now, I do not have my machine so I am crocheting shawls, scarves and washcloths to save my sanity, a skill I recently took up. It is very portable, just a skein of yarn and a hook and a pattern is all you need, perfect for the limited space in the RV and doesn't require much actual thought or fine motor skills that hand quilting does. I really like it.

I learned to crochet as a child and still do. I've found it is good exercise for the hands as I get older. I crochet a lot at work because I can do that at my desk without much effort to put away when a patient comes in. It seems I do a lot of nothing some days at work (time I COULD be piecing quilts). One of these days, I will have to figure out a way to have my machine at work with me.

And you know, I cannot sew anything to save my life! I never made clothing, tried, but just didn't manage to really learn. Quilting is more fabric art to me than sewing. Right now, I do not have my machine so I am crocheting shawls, scarves and washcloths to save my sanity, a skill I recently took up. It is very portable, just a skein of yarn and a hook and a pattern is all you need, perfect for the limited space in the RV and doesn't require much actual thought or fine motor skills that hand quilting does. I really like it.
I really am so sorry about the fire and your losses Speckledhen. I cannot imagine what you are going through and feeling. I agree that the crocheting is a good therapy for when you can't get to a machine. Have you tried socks yet? I have a couple of patterns I'd be willing to share if you're interested. The ones I am working on right now are a tube style and are really pretty and quite comfortable. Have to warn you though, you'll need markers for them.

I really am so sorry about the fire and your losses Speckledhen. I cannot imagine what you are going through and feeling. I agree that the crocheting is a good therapy for when you can't get to a machine. Have you tried socks yet? I have a couple of patterns I'd be willing to share if you're interested. The ones I am working on right now are a tube style and are really pretty and quite comfortable. Have to warn you though, you'll need markers for them.

No, I haven't tried socks yet, but I'd like to. I am using my chicken leg bands as markers, lol. Why not, right? Have bags and bags of them. If you have a pattern that is good for a true beginner, I'd love to have it! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom