Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
This is a NOT so good pnoto of the king size hand made quilt, I told you about . Cathedral design.Not for sale. Offered $3,000 . Do not let anyone tell you your work is not worth the money. It is. Your work is beautiful . This was my first try at quilting, not interested in a project like that again.

This is what I do now. Total hand crocheted American Flag Blankets I give to Veterans. It takes about one month to do one. They are given to them FREE, by me. Go on Facebook, look up, American flag blankets. You see some photos.
Keep your chin up. Stick to your prices. GOD Bless you all.

This is a NOT so good pnoto of the king size hand made quilt, I told you about . Cathedral design.Not for sale. Offered $3,000 . Do not let anyone tell you your work is not worth the money. It is. Your work is beautiful . This was my first try at quilting, not interested in a project like that again.

This is what I do now. Total hand crocheted American Flag Blankets I give to Veterans. It takes about one month to do one. They are given to them FREE, by me. Go on Facebook, look up, American flag blankets. You see some photos.
Keep your chin up. Stick to your prices. GOD Bless you all.
Wow, I know how heavy the cathedral quilt is! And bless you for the blankets to Vets. My own husband is a disabled vet and was gifted a Quilt of Valor by our own kathyinmo for his service. He is retired Air Force. You support for our troops and for me, too, is much appreciated.
hugs.gif

I just got this email from Joann fabric, ACK! The main thing I was looking forward to, they're out of! DANG IT! It coordinates with what I'm calling my Masters of Mountain View series fabric. Pouting here.

Product
Quantity Canceled
Quantity Ordered
13636261.jpg
Rural Fabric- Roosters On Script Multi Home Decor
Item #: 13636261

1​
1​

Last edited:
Hey, hand quilters! I have a possible job. The sweet girl who is buying my machine has a Dresden Plate quilt her 90 yr old grandmother cannot finish. It's about half done, with ten unfinished blocks, some unfinished wide sashings and border, no idea if she has fabric for binding for it. Seems to be cotton, nicely done, too. She asked what I would charge to complete it for her since I do hand quilt. I'm not really sure.

She says:
Quote: What would you charge to finish hand quilting this quilt? I have never done this but I know her grandmother would love to see it completed before she is gone, so I'm a little sentimental about that stuff or I'd just turn it down. But, not that many folks hand quilt these days; seemed like they'd been trying to find someone to do it and were not having much luck.

I have a video, but can't get a picture. Looks like nice work. Wait, I think I have it!

Last edited:
How long do you think it would take to do the sewing that it needs? How wide is the border and what pattern; how much sewing is that going to be?
I am a very slow hand quilter, so it would probably take about 6 hours per fan, and 2 hours per pink border. That is about 100 hours of hand quilting for me, without the border. At $2 per hour, I would be charging over $400 for everything. That is why I do not do handquilting for profit.

How long do you think it would take to do the sewing that it needs? How wide is the border and what pattern; how much sewing is that going to be?
I am a very slow hand quilter, so it would probably take about 6 hours per fan, and 2 hours per pink border. That is about 100 hours of hand quilting for me, without the border. At $2 per hour, I would be charging over $400 for everything. That is why I do not do handquilting for profit.

I don't think it would take me that long to do the quilting, depending on the size of the blocks, which I cannot really tell from the photo. And the borders? I'm trying to get a picture of those but can't get it to work so far, no idea how she's doing that. I'll know more when I see it in person. This won't be for real profit, I can tell you. I dont think it would take me more than 3 hours per fan, depending on how my carpal tunnel acted up. Sashing each might take an hour or slightly more. My charge for a queen size quilt from start to finish is about $500, but I don't do those on commission, just too hard on me. If this wasn't half done, I wouldn't take it on at all.

What has she done with this border? Never saw this before. One short video clip shows batting sandwiched in the pink border you see pinned here. Any ideas what she's doing? Of course, I don't do that, never seen it done, not sure what to do with it. Seems like maybe an old fashioned way to attach a border. Will know more when I see it in person.

Okay, I did it! Here, the fabric seems to be poly-cotton, not plain cotton. I see a sheen. I've never used a blend.

Working on this other small quilt.

ETA: Nope, it's cotton, just not the tightest weave, more broadcloth sort of stuff on the border. And it's the backing turned over along with the batting, so it looked odd in the photo. It's nothing weird at all. I took the job so her grandmother could see the quilt finished-she's in her 90's and was working on it as late as a year ago. Her eyes won't let her see to do it now, but her hands sure knew what they were doing. Pretty quilt.

Last edited:
It is really nice of you to do this for them!
hugs.gif

It gives me warm fuzzies just to think of how thankful/happy grandma will be to see it finished. A big thank you from me also!! I hope your hands hold up ok. That carpel tunnel really sucks!

It is really nice of you to do this for them!
hugs.gif

It gives me warm fuzzies just to think of how thankful/happy grandma will be to see it finished. A big thank you from me also!! I hope your hands hold up ok. That carpel tunnel really sucks!

Aw, shucks, I'm sentimental about quilts. Her granddaughter is probably in her 30's, not really sure, very nice lady, had been looking for someone to finish her grandmother's quilt, which I believe will be hers. The quilt shop in Murphy, NC gave her the name of a lady but told her she was so backed up, she might not be able to get her to take on the project. So, when I mentioned during one of our conversations regarding my old sewing machine that I had to get off to finish a quilt I was working on, she was excited, asking if I did hand quilting and it went from there.

She called it an extended queen, but it's more of a king quilt or a bedspread size for a queen. I'll have the blocks done but the border will take a bit. Have to figure on a pattern for that which is not super intricate. The Dresden Plate appliques are on muslin, same color thread I was already using on my own bed quilt. Here it is.

I see some of the marker her grandma used stained in a few places. This is her grandmother's hand quilting, not mine. I have started on it, though since we are getting a huge winter storm and I can't do much else but quilt.. or sleep. I gave her a price, a lowball estimation of hours and she was happy to pay it, said if I needed more hours/money, no problem, and to take as much time as I need. So, easy customer, seems to be. I hope her grandmother approves of it when I'm finished!

Last edited:
She quilted some of the designs on top only, missing the backing, so I'll have to see what to do about that. There is a lot of work to be done, eight Dresden Plates to be quilted, plus sashings and catching the stuff she missed, like part of an outline or not actually getting the quilting through to the back. May have to leave some of that undone. I don't want to change the character of her grand mother's quilt, only maybe catch some loose threads, etc, not any deconstructing. I don't applique, period. I hate it and I don't do it well. I like the result but detest the process.

Back
Top Bottom