Guess the Sex

Yep, I would say cockerel just by the way he carries himself, head high and long legs... And I do see a pink comb. Too young for a pullet to be showing a pink comb, so I'd say you have a pretty little cockerel.
smile.png
I agree. Given the size and redness of its comb at only 4 1/2 weeks, I'm thinking cockerel.

Thought I'd post some updated photos of our little Frankie in case it helps anyone else guess the sex of their chicks. My boy is around 7-8 weeks now and nearly feathered, but still no tail. Comb and wattles grown a little bit, but so very red! He is supposed to be a platinum sussex, but he looks darker than the ones I have seen online, so not too sure.....

No prizes for guessing the sex of this one, but I still have a smidgeon of hope that he will surprise us all!!

Cheers,

Julia

Thought I'd post some updated photos of our little Frankie in case it helps anyone else guess the sex of their chicks. My boy is around 7-8 weeks now and nearly feathered, but still no tail. Comb and wattles grown a little bit, but so very red! He is supposed to be a platinum sussex, but he looks darker than the ones I have seen online, so not too sure.....

No prizes for guessing the sex of this one, but I still have a smidgeon of hope that he will surprise us all!!

Cheers,

Julia
Given the size and redness of its comb at 7-8 weeks, Frankie still looks like a cockerel. Sorry. :eek:(

Cheers,

Julia
Definitely a little boy, but not a Platinum Sussex. Platinum Sussex are lavender (self-blue or recessive blue). Your little boy is of the Blue/Black/Splash dilute variety, which is the dominant blue dilute gene. He has a single copy of the dilute gene, which means he's blue. I don't believe it's a gene that has been developed in the Sussex breed. Your chick is more likely a Blue Orpington.

Thanks for the breed info - does look much more like the blue Orpington in photos. The breeder said he would be blue, but for sure said Sussex - I guess they are mistaken or missselling. I don't mind as long as he is a heavy breed - I need a big strong roo to chase off all those nasty crows that keep eating the chicken food!!

Jx

Back
Top Bottom