Guidance please

Kiriamd

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2021
Good day! I live in Florida I have 14 chickens I have a pretty big run, I own, 2 acres lot, I let the girl out almost daily to explored the land. This is what has been happening I stared with more chicken little by little they have been getting sick and dying.
Symptoms
Green, watery, diarrhea
Not eating or drinking
Weakness
Losing weight until they pass.
I have treated for Cocci, used what they sell at the tractor supply. Given antibiotics for infection of the upper respiratory and dewormed them every six months with ivermectin and PANACUR.

I have been loosing one every 3 to 4 months don’t know what to do…
Thinking that is from the outside since my coop is clean and I make sure I used products that are safe to disinfect the area. PLEASE if anyone has info help!

They are no vets around me that treat birds.

Do they have access to compost or is there anything else in the space that might be toxic to them?

What do you feed them and do you have the date of manufacture on the bags?

Do you give them supplements of any kind?

Do they have access to compost or is there anything else in the space that might be toxic to them?

What do you feed them and do you have the date of manufacture on the bags?

Do you give them supplements of any kind?
no compost, nothing toxic that I’m aware of, I feed them Kalmbach all natural for layers. I don’t supplements but give them spinach, oatmeal, and leafy greens. Thank you for your response, I was thinking wild birds because I have many fry by daily, and crows. I’m lost to what it is, they are also four years old don’t know if that an age that they get sick. Ty

What breeds of chicken are they? Commercial layers like ISA browns, Rhode Island Reds etc can develop reproductive disorders in their older years which can lead to internal infections.

Do they all still lay? Do you feel their crops in the morning to see if they have emptied properly overnight?

What breeds of chicken are they? Commercial layers like ISA browns, Rhode Island Reds etc can develop reproductive disorders in their older years which can lead to internal infections.

Do they all still lay? Do you feel their crops in the morning to see if they have emptied properly overnight?
Once the get sick I have isolated them, and their crop was not completely empty. They are Rhode Island Red, Plymouth rock, Orpington, polish, Silkie, and Brahma, I just lost my leg horn, and my Plymouth is not feeling well, I got them at tractor supply.. not all are laying, I’m picking up 4 eggs but those are some younger girls I’m down to 12, girls. The older ones are 4 years old. Those are the ones getting sick. The other ones are about 2 they seem fine.

This is a good article to start with for crop related issues.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sometimes crop malfunctions can be due to underlying issues. Reproductive disorders, cancers, etc.

The ones who are poorly at the moment, if you palpate their abdomens/bodies, can you feel any swelling or lumps? Sometimes hens with reproductive issues will develop ascites which is a fluid build-up in the abdominal cavity.

I know you said that there isn’t anything toxic in their area that you know of… could there be the possibility of lead in the soil? Flaking paint, batteries, lead shot etc from previous years.

If you find you can resolve their crop issues but they are still unwell, i.e. lethargic, abnormal droppings, losing condition. You can ask a vet (doesn’t necessarily need to be an avian vet) for a broad spectrum antibiotic like amoxyclav 250.

Sometimes slow crop/crop stasis (caused by whatever reason) can result in an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria which makes them sick.

Yeast is easy enough to treat as per the article but for bacteria you need the abx.

This is a good article to start with for crop related issues.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sometimes crop malfunctions can be due to underlying issues. Reproductive disorders, cancers, etc.

The ones who are poorly at the moment, if you palpate their abdomens/bodies, can you feel any swelling or lumps? Sometimes hens with reproductive issues will develop ascites which is a fluid build-up in the abdominal cavity.

I know you said that there isn’t anything toxic in their area that you know of… could there be the possibility of lead in the soil? Flaking paint, batteries, lead shot etc from previous years.
Thank you I will look at the article, im going to keep them in their coop for now till I check the land. I felt the Plymouth rock the one who is ill at the moment and she did have a large crop full
of water, but I also 100 degree here and she was drinking, She has some fluid, but it wasn’t enough to be considered ascites , bit I dont know, maybe you can tell me please ? I don’t know what’s normal anatomy on a chickens, I palpated the other ones, and they seem to have the same. Ty

If you find you can resolve their crop issues but they are still unwell, i.e. lethargic, abnormal droppings, losing condition. You can ask a vet (doesn’t necessarily need to be an avian vet) for a broad spectrum antibiotic like amoxyclav 250.

Sometimes slow crop/crop stasis (caused by whatever reason) can result in an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria which makes them sick.

Yeast is easy enough to treat as per the article but for bacteria you need the abx.
Thank you 🙏

Check their crops in the morning for the most accurate idea of its function. It should be empty.

Here are some pictures from Google to help you with feeling around their keel bone for their condition and any potentially swelling/ascites.

Attachments

• B96C98FA-1C9E-469E-936F-EA95DAF38ED7.png
    B96C98FA-1C9E-469E-936F-EA95DAF38ED7.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 01EAB9C6-E574-41DB-AD21-4700CDC3A0EB.jpeg
    01EAB9C6-E574-41DB-AD21-4700CDC3A0EB.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1E6F867B-E36F-4B3B-B432-C72EC23CD8C8.jpeg
    1E6F867B-E36F-4B3B-B432-C72EC23CD8C8.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom