Guinea Keets With Diarrhea! Is This Serious?

newb1rdmom

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
I noticed a couple days ago that my older guinea keets — probably around 2-3 weeks old or maybe older but not sure — were having diarrhea. I’m not sure how long its been going on but I’m not sure if I should be worried or not. Sometimes they have a normal solid poop and then they have a very liquidy diarrhea poop.

I give my keets a few cricket treats whenever I do anything with their cage so that maybe they will start to consider it a positive thing instead of negative — because they usually run to a corner and make all kinds of noise whenever i reach in — and the bag suggests giving them grit whenever giving treats so I sprinkle grit over/around the treats whenever I put them down.

I don’t know if the diarrhea is related to the treats or grit or if there is another issue. I don’t know entirely how much I need to be concerned about this which is why I’m posting it here. I feel its a little urgent since it’s been going on for a few days but they are also passing solid/normal poos so I don’t know.

I want to make sure if there is a serious issue I catch it early enough that I can treat it properly. Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I noticed a couple days ago that my older guinea keets — probably around 2-3 weeks old or maybe older but not sure — were having diarrhea. I’m not sure how long its been going on but I’m not sure if I should be worried or not. Sometimes they have a normal solid poop and then they have a very liquidy diarrhea poop.

I give my keets a few cricket treats whenever I do anything with their cage so that maybe they will start to consider it a positive thing instead of negative — because they usually run to a corner and make all kinds of noise whenever i reach in — and the bag suggests giving them grit whenever giving treats so I sprinkle grit over/around the treats whenever I put them down.

I don’t know if the diarrhea is related to the treats or grit or if there is another issue. I don’t know entirely how much I need to be concerned about this which is why I’m posting it here. I feel its a little urgent since it’s been going on for a few days but they are also passing solid/normal poos so I don’t know.

I want to make sure if there is a serious issue I catch it early enough that I can treat it properly. Any help or advice is very much appreciated.
Guineas like other poultry have both cecal and regular poops. In times of high temperatures and excessive water drinking, the cecal poops can be more liquid than normal. A change in diet (grass clippings, etc.) can also cause changes in the poop.

Guineas like other poultry have both cecal and regular poops. In times of high temperatures and excessive water drinking, the cecal poops can be more liquid than normal. A change in diet (grass clippings, etc.) can also cause changes in the poop.

ohhh okay! that makes sense!! i did give them some grass the other day so maybe that’s what it was! thank you!! i was a little nervous about it!

My keets are 3 days old and just started water and food today. I added vitamins the farm sent with them to their water and all their poops are watery. Hoping that is normal for new keets. They have pecked a bit at the food, but they are drinking a lot of water.

My keets are 3 days old and just started water and food today. I added vitamins the farm sent with them to their water and all their poops are watery. Hoping that is normal for new keets. They have pecked a bit at the food, but they are drinking a lot of water.
It can be. I know the first ones made in the incubator are always watery and green colored.

It can be. I know the first ones made in the incubator are always watery and green colored.
I went ahead and replaced the vitamin water with regular water and hammered down their food so hoping that works. They literally came in the mail today so may just be adjusting. They seem super happy

Good news, after stopping the vitamin water, their poop is normal again. That must have been the problem. And the vitamin water must have tasted good because they were gulping it down.

Thanks for that answer - I was about to ask the same question!!

Back
Top Bottom