Guinea talk.

Pics
My neighbor gave us her chickens and got 2 guineA HENS. wHAT ARE THEY USED FOR OTHER THAN EATING TICKS?

I agree with Pattyhen....they are great at eating bugs! My Guineas have virtually eliminated my tick problem, but they also eat grasshoppers, crickets, and Asian lady beetles, which I have had a problem with as well. The main reason I prefer Guineas over other poultry is because they roam my garden and pick the bugs off without touching the vegetables, fruits, and plants. An added bonus is their eggs. I let mine hatch their own eggs, but I do collect some of the eggs and bake with them because they have a really rich flavor. In addition, they are also great watchdogs. They will alert other poultry to danger or predators and will even alert you when someone new arrives at your house. Lastly, I just like them for their intertainment value....they are quirky, goofy birds that I enjoy just watching!
I was skeptical of Guineas before I got mine, but I've never regretted getting them and now I'm hooked! I think everyone on this thread would all say that they really love their Guineas!

I'm hopping in, I will start with that I don't have any guinea fowl yet. Still debating it. Currently I live in town and my chickens live in my backyard. My dog and the neighborhood dogs keep predators at bay and thankfully I haven't had any issues with any for 2 years now. I just bought some land out in the country and will be moving there as soon as it's ready. I've already worried about my girls because I know I'll have a bigger chance of predators out there than I do here. Would Guinea fowl be a good addition for alertness and protection? I don't really want a rooster.

I'm hopping in, I will start with that I don't have any guinea fowl yet. Still debating it. Currently I live in town and my chickens live in my backyard. My dog and the neighborhood dogs keep predators at bay and thankfully I haven't had any issues with any for 2 years now. I just bought some land out in the country and will be moving there as soon as it's ready. I've already worried about my girls because I know I'll have a bigger chance of predators out there than I do here. Would Guinea fowl be a good addition for alertness and protection? I don't really want a rooster.

I don't have any chickens or other poultry, just the Guineas, but I've heard other people say that they alert the other birds when there is danger. My Guineas definitely go into alert mode if there is a predator or other perceived danger in the area. My males seem to get picked off much more often because they try and defend the females and babies (keets) and seem to stand up to the predator while the others flee to a safe place. If you do decide to get Guineas, I would get keets vs adults as I've heard they will integrate with the chickens better. Since I don't have any chickens, I can't speak from experience on this, so maybe those on here that have both Guineas and other poultry together can chime in on this.

My neighbor gave us her chickens and got 2 guineA HENS. wHAT ARE THEY USED FOR OTHER THAN EATING TICKS?
I agree with everything that has already been said about them. Just LOVE my flock! We only have guineas - no other poultry. We got them for tick and bug control. Since this was our first year with them and they weren't out free ranging until the end of July, I'm looking forward to starting the gardening season with them this spring. They are VERY entertaining, we enjoy eating the eggs (seasonally spring through fall only) and we are looking forward to hatching and maybe selling some keets. Also, their feathers are gorgeous and can be used for a variety of craft projects. If they came with the chickens, they will have bonded with them by now, so they may take on some of their personality traits. Enjoy!

I only have guineas as well, but love watching them free range around the house. I have seen my flock scare off a skunk, but they have been vulnerable to coyotes and hawks in our area. If you're looking for an alarm bird, guineas will do the trick. They'll let you know when there's something new and different around and will cut down on the ticks, bugs, small rodents and snakes too!

My chickens and ducks were all full grown when I got the keets. I brooded them in the house and I would put them in a pen outside when they were 3 to 4 weeks old for the day. The temps were in the 90s so it was warm enough. The chickens and ducks were able to see them but not be able to touch them. When they were about 7 weeks old I put them in a cage in the chicken coop. I would let them free range during the day and shut them up in the cage at night. Then in a couple of weeks I would just put the guineas in the coop with the chickens at night. They all got along good. The guineas do chase the ducks now but I think it's a little game they play.

We live in the city too and there are not to many predators around. I have 2 dogs that patrol the yard and one that will even chase a hawk if it swoops down. Hawks are about our only predators. If you move to the country you will have to have a secure coop to keep the predators out.

Pattyhen, out of my own ignorance, I assumed everyone on Guinea Talk lived in the country. I can't imagine keeping Guineas in town! When we lived in the city, my neighbors hated my dogs just for barking. They'd have burned down my house if they had heard the guineas screaming. When we have visitors now, they ask how we put up with the noise. But at the same time, they ask how they can get some too. They are great entertainment.

Spiderman and Mary Jane are citified! That's why they go on their Spa Vacations.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom