Guineas and Hunting Dogs

Caprice_Acres

Songster
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Michigan
We have a weimaraner and a German Shorthair pointer that we use for upland bird hunting. They don't bother our free ranging chickens, welsh harlequin ducks, geese, turkeys, or muscovy ducks. They are great with all poultry, actually.

However this summer I brought home 8 guinea keets. Our dogs REALLY think they're game birds, and they keep trying to catch them. My german shorthair has never once cared about any single bird on the property... and he's REALLY trying to get into the garden where we're keeping the guineas.

Anybody else have this problem with their dogs and guineas?

I had to resort to using a dual training collar on one of mine. Just using the tone part of the collar was enough to get him to pay attention to me and finally get it that the Guineas were mine, belonged here and was to leave them alone.

Its been five years now and he's just fine with them and they will work together to run off interlopers.

I had the same problem with my dog. He's perfect with chickens, ducks, geese and adult guineas. When the juveniles were in a cage on the lawn he was real interested. When they were out of the cage he chased them and brought them back to me. He never hurt them but didn't think they should be running loose. He finally got over it but I was worried for a while.

i had a pit bull that would line the inside of his doghouse with feathers from any fowl. he now has a different address.

Thats good to know - we have 8 dogs, 2 of which are setters (an English and an Irish, both field type). All our dogs are great with the chickens, but I have 5 guinea keets that are 4 weeks old and haven't been outside yet. Guess I'll have to take some additional precautions!!!

Quote:
The soft mouthed dogs might turn out to be a blessing. Some how one of my Guineas ended up in the middle of the pond, the one dog I was still training with the collar swam out and retrieved him/her without any injury from being carried in his mouth. Of course then I had to tell him to let me have the bird because he hadn't reached the point yet that the birds were mine and not his.

Quote:
The soft mouthed dogs might turn out to be a blessing. Some how one of my Guineas ended up in the middle of the pond, the one dog I was still training with the collar swam out and retrieved him/her without any injury from being carried in his mouth. Of course then I had to tell him to let me have the bird because he hadn't reached the point yet that the birds were mine and not his.

It is impressive that he could control the Guinea, who must have been flipping out. It is hard enough carrying a Guinea with 2 hands, let alone just a mouth!

Well, my German Shorthair caught one today. It wasn't hurt, thankfully. Thankfully the German Shorthair is very sensitive and a few swats and 'acting mad' at him for a few hours was proper chastizement. I just hope he doesn't try that again... they're really bewildered by the guineas. The same dog has never batted an eyelash at chickens, ducks, muscovies, or geese even as a puppy.

Quote:
Its an issue especially since yours are used for hunting. If you can convince them the birds are part of the pack that should be the end of it. Mine will run off wild birds that they do not consider part of the pack.

Back
Top Bottom