Guineas eating grass, vegetation ??

Larry33843

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
Frostproof, FL
I've got 27 keets (7 weeks old) in a "hoop coop" that I move every 48-72 hrs. I keep a 30# hanging feeder full of 24% starter/grower and fresh water all times.
I've observed the keets eating grass sprigs and having a big time scavenging around when I move them to a new spot. Even with feed and water in abundance, they pretty well wear down that 170 sq. ft. of grass by the time I move them.
How are they going to know not to eat greenery in the vegetable garden when they eat it so voraciously now? I can only hope that the difference in area they will have to work will diminish their damage. Now, they have about 6 sq. ft. each and when released they will have almost 2500 sq. ft. each.
Input much appreciated, Larry

Howdy. I can tell you from experience that the guineas will tear up your garden if allowed to. They will dig up the seeds and they will eat the sprouts. Your best bet is to cage the guineas until your garden has matured a bit, with the plants a few inches tall.

My flock of 50+ destroyed much of my 1/2 acre garden this year. I had it planted with black oil sunflower and melons, which were intended as a feed supplement for the birds. What a bummer. It is not easy to catch that many guineas, nor do I have ample cage space for them, so I just let them pillage the field at will.

Our guineas haven't touched our garden but it could be because we have 35 acres of land. We have only 2 acres cleared and they mostly stay there. The only thing that was eaten out of my garden was my pole beans and I think rabbits ate those.

Laurie

Mine leave our garden alone too. They'll pick at bugs, but have never hurt or eaten a plant!
smile.png

mine take a little nibble off the plants but thats about it

mine prefer grass and small bugs/grubs and a worm here and there mostly.

I also read an article in Mother Earth News that convinced me to try guineas for controlling squash bugs:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Ask-Our-Experts/Organic-Gardening/Guineas-Control-Squash-Bugs.aspx

I was so excited to have a new weapon in my war against the nasty pests that I got two adult guineas to put in with my pumpkins, melons, and summer squash. We fenced in an area about 20x20 and put them in. Within the first two days, they had eaten my zucchini, gourds, and one of my pumpkin plants down to the ground! They have plenty of food and grass clippings to keep them happy, but they seem to like eating my plants more! I'm SO frustrated that I don't know what to do next!

Guinea Hens are more interested in the bugs out there in the pasture WAY more than any thing in the flowier or garden plot.

They are VERY busy little turds and cover a LOT of ground during the day.

When they are not foraging, they are resting and playing.

My Guinea's eat poultry grain, game bird feed and they LOVE egg layer corn mash. the CHICKENS are SO much more destructive.

Guinea DO scratch, but not near like the chickies.

If you have them on alot of land they will not mess with your garden, but if they are contained i n a small area they will seek what they can find even if it is not their favorites, mine only eat the bugs in my garden when they happen that way and i have over a 100 of them .

You can't rely on general assesments like those published in various flower-power articles about let's take it to the moon. I'm another guy who's learned that guineas (adults) don't necesarilly eat bugs or won't destroy greens of interest (in my case, simple, ordinary comfrey plants vandalized by 12 week old keets)

Back
Top Bottom