Had to shoot a dog - WARNING, GRAPHIC CONTENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read your post and all the responses, and it's obvious folks have very strong feelings about the loose dog issue. So sorry to hear about your situation. Thought I'd add my two cents.

First, if the leash law in your county is like mine, then your brother BROKE THE LAW by allowing his dog to repeatedly run loose. You, by having chickens on your property, merely broke an HOA covenant. The two are not equal, and I think you acted reasonably to protect your property. Furthermore, I think your brother acted with shameful disregard for you and your neighbors by not controlling his dog, and you should NOT pay for any of his dog's medical expenses. (I can think of many things I would like to call your brother, but out of respect for your love for him, I will refrain.) I will say he is, at least, an irresponsible dog owner and any "cruelty" his dog suffered was his own fault.

Over the years, my family lost many animals (including favorite chickens) to dogs thoughtlessly allowed to roam free. How many times we heard the whiny excuse "well, it's the country, they should be able to run." Really burns me up.
somad.gif
At the same time, many honestly lost dogs showed up on the property, were not killers, and we happily returned them to grateful and apologetic owners, so I do not think it is right to kill a dog for simply setting foot on your land. I also do not agree that killing and burying the canine offender is always the best course. The dog owners who are in the wrong should be forced to face the consequences of their actions, which is the death of their dog. They were responsible for it's death, so they should do the burying. (Of course one must carefully evaluate the level of sanity and likelihood of revenge before dumping their dead dog on their porch.)

A good and caring person, such as yourself, wants to keep good relations with family and neighbors, despite the fact that many folks could care less. My current neighbor called one night and left a very weak and apologetic message on our machine, that one of our dogs had been barking nonstop for 2 hours. (We were out of town for the day, and the barker was a recently adopted stray that had never been left outside after dark before. Still, our fault. Felt terrible.) Luckily for the neighbor, we would never disregard his concerns, and when I went over to apologize and inform him that a bark collar was on order to solve the problem, he apologized to me for having complained and hoped I wasn't mad at him! Goodness! There is a balance between being civil and growing a backbone to stand up when you are in the right. It is not the dog's fault, it is always the owner's fault. Let them know you expect them to resolve the issue. The owners should always be held accountable. Maybe then, fewer dogs would be running loose and getting shot.

Of course if the various officials won't help, and the owners are pathetic (or psychotic), you have to take the appropriate actions. My mom went after a neighbor's pit bull with a pitchfork as the dog tore the skin off our stallion pony's neck from jaw to chest. The pony survived, but only because she skewered that dog a bunch of times before it staggered off. (Tried to kill it!) Never had good relations with those people. Whine, whine: "We don't know how the dog gets out." Whine, whine: "It's really our son's dog. We can't control it." And you know, they paid to have that dog treated instead of being put down!
somad.gif
Before this happened, my folks were reluctant to involve the sheriff because the son was an unstable ex-con, but after visits from the deputy, we never saw the dog again. (Wish I could say the same for the son.)

I use this example because someone blamed you for not having your chickens secured properly, so you share the responsibility for their deaths. No way! That's absurd! Would your chickens still be alive if not for your brother's dog? Most likely. Would our pony have had his throat torn off? No way. That was the only injury he ever sustained in the 15 years we had him. Was it even the dog's fault? Not really. It is always the dog owner's responsibility. Perhaps some stronger laws and penalties (for the owners!) are in order.

Sorry I'm ranting so much, but I have to tell you that many years later, an elderly neighbor of ours, while on a stroll up the road, was attacked and severely injured by a different dog belonging to the same son of the same family! Was the man at fault because he could not defend himself (even though he carried a walking stick)? Absurd thought, yes? The dog was ultimately punished (killed). The owner's punishment was to have his dog taken away and killed. Does any one else see a problem here?
somad.gif

So while I sincerely hope you find peace and can reconcile with your brother, I hope it's not until he owns up to his responsibility.

Gday..... Well, what a stuff up. Two things come immediately to mind. 1...never follow to reside close to family or friends. 2... Toughen up princess.
I tell you what, you messed up by been scared of your brother. If that had of been me I would have been to see him (and taken out his front door on the way in) the FIRST time it happened. By the time I left his house he would have been fully aware of my ire.
" and the end-goal here wasn't to harm the dog"...........Christ sake, you SHOT the frigg'n dog.
After the second attack I think the dog would "disappear"
I also have 3 acres. The first thing I did on purchase was to fence (properly). I also have a solar remote control gate, the only thing to get in here is feral cats and fox's that I sort out fairly quickly.

It sounds to me like your bro has pushed you around all your life and has no respect for you whatsoever.
And yes, I did read one comment that said you were not asking for relationship help. Well that's been most of the problem.

Anyway.....All the best to you and I hope you get it sorted one way or the other.

Cheers.........The Dog

I agree that you have a right to protect your land and your livestock. On the rest of it, I can't really comment because I am not, and never have been, in a situation where I had to make that choice, but I have had to protect my chickens from wild animals and have shot at them. It seems to me like you are reaching out to other people to try to get justification for wounding your brothers dog, whether for your own reasons or something else, and...in my opinion, no one else can really tell you whether you were right or wrong for it unless they've been exactly in your situation. That's just how I see it. Please don't take it as me being rude or brash.

I try to be a good neighbor. I have 11 dogs including one that runs sometimes. I have been called repeatedly, I say with some embarrassment, about it showing aggression to a neighbor lady. I have apologized, tried working with the dog and now try to keep her on the property at all costs. I have told the neighbor, that if the dog gets aggressive, to shoot it with no regrets as I would do the same.

I don't want my dog killed, but if I don't control it, that is my fault completely and nothing someone does to it on their property is a cause of action. In fact, they might be able to sue me for mental anguish for having felt the need to shoot my pet.

Your brother is a boor.

Big surprise.... A redneck uses a gun to solve his problems. Dog is an innocent victim in all of this and you are an @#$@#%!

Dog is indeed an innocent victim. However, it was also a repeat offender and a known killer of livestock. You may think that a chicken is not worth much, but I bet a bunch here would differ with you.

I don't know what an @#$@#% is, but maybe it should be the moronic dog owner that should be called that. He had an obligation, both moral and legal to keep his dog under control and to allow all his neighbors the quiet enjoyment of their own properties that they pay property tax on.

Place the anger where it belongs. If he had said... now doggy go home, or yelled Dang it Cur!, the result likely would have been the same, more dead chickens.

Now, mark 1 up for the Chicken God's, 1 down for the Dog God's

Misplaced anger.

What if that dog was attacking your $1,000.00 Parrot?

Keep your dog where it belongs and there would be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom