Half egg question/half illness query

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
Yesterday I had an egg bound hen. We got the egg out but now she seems very ill (I posted the egg episode yesterday). She is weak, just stands with eyes closed and breathes heavily. Won’t eat or drink.

Fast forward to today - I have three eggs so far that look like this from different hens. Bulged, rough and misshapen. We’ve never had this before so now I’m wondering if there’s a connection.

I recently bought a different feed than usual. It’s is Nutrena all flock (20% protein) because my typical feed (Nutrena layer 17%) was out of stock.

So my question is, is there an illness spreading I should watch for based on this info or could the food change have caused issues for my hens?

Attachments

• IMG_7222.jpeg
    IMG_7222.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7220.jpeg
    IMG_7220.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7214.jpeg
    IMG_7214.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 6
All chickens with this issue have been laying for 2-3 months but hadn’t had these type of bulged eggs until just the last week.

Hiya,
In my experience it tends to be the young uns that give us the doublers, and the bumpy shells can be caused by the egg not turning evenly whilst it’s being made. By the size of that whopper I think it would be more likely that the hen turned around the egg rather than the egg turned inside the hen.
I, too, think the food is unlikely to be a problem and personally I wouldn’t worry. Doublers are a gift and a slightly weird shell 🤷‍♀️ is likely to be something they will grow out of.
That’s my opinion anyway, there are many wise owls on this site who many disagree,
Hugz

Update,
Having read the updates from yourself I have referred to my books. It appears that too much calcium can cause rough shells (who would’ve guessed that) and if it’s happening to more than one hen suddenly I would consider that, either the food has got too much calcium or they are not getting enough vitamin d (sunshine/walnuts) to process the calcium they are getting.
Phew ! We are all learning today and again, hope this helps,
Hugz

Sometimes it can take a while for new layers to iron out the kinks. Are they all the same breed? How is your hen that was egg bound, better or the same?
They are ALL Easter eggers. Very interesting. The egg bound hen is much better but still not 100%. She is however, eating and drinking quite voraciously now so that is giving me some hope. 😁

Update,
Having read the updates from yourself I have referred to my books. It appears that too much calcium can cause rough shells (who would’ve guessed that) and if it’s happening to more than one hen suddenly I would consider that, either the food has got too much calcium or they are not getting enough vitamin d (sunshine/walnuts) to process the calcium they are getting.
Phew ! We are all learning today and again, hope this helps,
Hugz
Thank you! I’m currently using Nutrena all flock so I’m wondering about that. I was actually worried recently they weren’t getting enough calcium but I can never tell.

Man, we love these chickens but they aren’t easy!

Back
Top Bottom