HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally & BantyChooks

Just an update on my group 1, and group 2 hatches on my Blue Australorp chicks:

Group 1: All 4 that hatched out in that batch are active, and eating and drinking good. It was a 100% hatch rate.

Group 2: 8 out of the 9 eggs hatched out. The 9th one looked like it outgrew the egg, and suffocated inside. 7 of the 8 are now in the brooder with the 4 from group 1. The last one that hatched is still in the incubator resting and drying off.

I had a total of 12 hatchlings from both of the groups combined. They are the blues, but in various shades of blue.

Would love to have a blue Australorp. Do you have your own hens? Or were they shipped eggs? Congratulations on that great hatch!!

4 out 3 more pipped

Unfortunately I have duck eggs that are more important but still ok

:fl

If no changes in am I will help :fl

My Ayam cemani eggs are on day 12 and the CCL are on day 3. All 6 AC are doing great and developing perfectly! Amazing for shipped eggs! Out of 7 CCL, all look to have the tiniest starts to veins which means my new roo is doing his job :) Unfortunately, during the candling, I noticed that 1 of the CCL eggs was horribly cracked :/ Not sure how that one happened but I pulled it. The cracking was too wide spread so I didn't even attempt to patch it. Sad thing is that it looked to have the same tiny veins that the others did. Oh well, it happens. My line lavender ameraucana egg looks to have quit on me too. It was set at the same time as the AC. So far, it's been the only egg that I've gotten from that group. It was fertile and developing but it was a pullet's first egg so maybe that had something to do with it. Overall, I'm happy :) I'm setting one more group this Friday then I'm putting the flock all back together again. It would be nice if my lavender girls would cooperate and give me a couple more to work with before then!

Hey all things have been pretty crazy around here. Sorry I haven't been doing regular updates the last couple days.

Family wedding Saturday and Sunday we drove to meet another bycer and get some broody chicks from her and her family. Sunday night we took our four guineas out of quarantine and placed them with the main flock. Even though it was dark you should have seen the flock freak out! Lol they predator called for 30 minutes. We couldn't stop laughing. Lol it sounded like the flock was all pointing and laughing at the guineas and the poor guineas kept looking around like they were wondering what all the commotion was about.

Shortly after we fed them everyone settled down and co- mingled. Monday we let the flock out and the guineas for the first time as well. It took the guineas about half an hour to get up the courage and then they went nuts! Lol the predator calls started all over again. They really are doing very well though. I thought they might take off but they even go back in the cooler coop better than some of the chickens. Lol I'm not sure on guinea genders yet. But I'm leaning towards either three females and one male or 2 and 2.

The guineas do very well with the chickens although occasionally the take of running through the chickens and scatter them. I haven't decided yet if they're scattering the chickens on purpose or not. Lol.

Miracle and her brother were upgraded to a brooder but today I moved Miracle back into the bator. She did well for several days on her own and was seemingly eating and drinking great. Last night at bed check she pooped normally twice, had a clean butt and had what felt like feed in her crop. I've been giving her some egg yolk mixture here and there but this morning her butt was moderately pasty. It was cleaned immediately but she seems weak, she's quite thin, and today seems to be having trouble standing much. Her brother seems to have been knocking into her in his little mad chickie dashes. I fear I'm losing her. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. She's such a fighter. As long as she has that fight and doesn't seen to be obviously suffering I will continue to fight for her. I've fed her a lot of egg yolk mix today and it does seem to have helped some. Her little crop gets full and I let her rest. I've added some apple sauce today for the sugar and to tempt her taste buds. It also contains antibiotics electrolytes and pribiotics. All I can do is keep trying hoping and praying.

Will update everyone around lunch tomorrow after morning chores.

Hey all things have been pretty crazy around here. Sorry I haven't been doing regular updates the last couple days.

Family wedding Saturday and Sunday we drove to meet another bycer and get some broody chicks from her and her family. Sunday night we took our four guineas out of quarantine and placed them with the main flock. Even though it was dark you should have seen the flock freak out! Lol they predator called for 30 minutes. We couldn't stop laughing. Lol it sounded like the flock was all pointing and laughing at the guineas and the poor guineas kept looking around like they were wondering what all the commotion was about.

Shortly after we fed them everyone settled down and co- mingled. Monday we let the flock out and the guineas for the first time as well. It took the guineas about half an hour to get up the courage and then they went nuts! Lol the predator calls started all over again. They really are doing very well though. I thought they might take off but they even go back in the cooler coop better than some of the chickens. Lol I'm not sure on guinea genders yet. But I'm leaning towards either three females and one male or 2 and 2.

The guineas do very well with the chickens although occasionally the take of running through the chickens and scatter them. I haven't decided yet if they're scattering the chickens on purpose or not. Lol.

Miracle and her brother were upgraded to a brooder but today I moved Miracle back into the bator. She did well for several days on her own and was seemingly eating and drinking great. Last night at bed check she pooped normally twice, had a clean butt and had what felt like feed in her crop. I've been giving her some egg yolk mixture here and there but this morning her butt was moderately pasty. It was cleaned immediately but she seems weak, she's quite thin, and today seems to be having trouble standing much. Her brother seems to have been knocking into her in his little mad chickie dashes. I fear I'm losing her. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. She's such a fighter. As long as she has that fight and doesn't seen to be obviously suffering I will continue to fight for her. I've fed her a lot of egg yolk mix today and it does seem to have helped some. Her little crop gets full and I let her rest. I've added some apple sauce today for the sugar and to tempt her taste buds. It also contains antibiotics electrolytes and pribiotics. All I can do is keep trying hoping and praying.

Will update everyone around lunch tomorrow after morning chores.
I hope she recovers!

Just an update on my group 1, and group 2 hatches on my Blue Australorp chicks:

Group 1: All 4 that hatched out in that batch are active, and eating and drinking good. It was a 100% hatch rate.

Group 2: 8 out of the 9 eggs hatched out. The 9th one looked like it outgrew the egg, and suffocated inside. 7 of the 8 are now in the brooder with the 4 from group 1. The last one that hatched is still in the incubator resting and drying off.

I had a total of 12 hatchlings from both of the groups combined. They are the blues, but in various shades of blue.

How do you tell if they outgrew the egg?

Because it never hatched, so I carefully opened up the egg to look. The chick inside had totally filled up the whole egg, and there was no more air pocket left in the egg for it to be able to breathe.
That's actually pretty normal once a chick breaks the air cell. If it failed to hatch, it may have become shrink wrapped.

That's actually pretty normal once a chick breaks the air cell. If it failed to hatch, it may have become shrink wrapped.

Well, it is the first egg that I ever tried to hatch out that was like it. The egg was a bit smaller than the other ones, but not really by much. Still, I think that 12 live ones out of 13 was pretty good for a hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom