ep.gif
hide.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
My husband -
he.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
Then divorce and finding my own place with more room for the chickens.
gig.gif

They won't all hatch. I guarantee that.
I may get a couple chicks out of the first 50-60 eggs. (But they'll be good'uns)
thumbsup.gif

Maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of the rest. (because I'm not turning the eggs)
I would like some quail, though...but I sabotaged myself there because I waited a week to set them.
Pretty much the same with the guinea eggs.
I like the challenge. It gives me a chance to experiment, push the limits and hone my skills. It also fits with my survival of the fittest beliefs
AND it's my fail-safe so I don't end up with too many chickens.
10 eggs/day X 5 months(30 days) =1500 eggs (and I was getting 15+eggs/day)
ep.gif

I don't want 2200 chickens...lol.
Not yet anyway....(insert evil laugh)
wink.png

It does look like I'm way off the mark...but I have a specific goal in mind I'm striving for.

*No disrespect intended to those who have much more experience than I...I've simply chosen to take a different route with my hatching adventures.
(whew...takes a deep breath)
smile.png

goodpost.gif
good luck!!!
woot.gif
hugs.gif

Quote: It's got to be matching though, right??
So one would have to walk toe-heel in those?
To avoid breaking the middle chicken toe off???
sickbyc.gif

Question. Cannot find anything online regarding this. So i was so excited to show my husband the movement in my Hona eggs tonight (day 11), one egg slipped from my hand and landed on carpet, it didnt crack or break open, however i dont see the baby moving now. Im so upset. Any chance of survival, and should i keep in bator for a cpl more days and watch for anything specific? First timer...

Question. Cannot find anything online regarding this. So i was so excited to show my husband the movement in my Hona eggs tonight (day 11), one egg slipped from my hand and landed on carpet, it didnt crack or break open, however i dont see the baby moving now. Im so upset. Any chance of survival, and should i keep in bator for a cpl more days and watch for anything specific? First timer...

Sometimes when I candle I don't see movement and they are fine. I've never dropped one at this stage so I don't know. Dropped plenty though. Definitely leave it in perhaps longer than a couple days unless it starts seeping.

If no variety was specified at purchase that are most likely Easter Eggers.

No, I just asked. They are blue wheaten. They do not have Easter eggers. I've done lots of business with them and trust them :) wouldn't matter to me anyway. I've seen the birds in person, I just didn't ask the specifics on color variety. He just assumed I knew
263a.png
Thanks for asking the variety! Now I know! Lol

Congrats to all that I missed hatching!!! Welcome New HAL Hatchers!! Hi to all, Hughsnet sucks, just sayin :frow I have some really really rough shipped leghorns trying to hatch, most are mals :hit looks like two mals are dead but I aint messing with them now... This was the serama misc hatch and a frizzle I kept from the hatch before that one :oops: I have a bunch of black week olds frizzles I think, I need to sell them soon before I keep all of them!!! ughhh
Liquid soap takes care of smart mouths, just sayin.... :cool:
Kids wants these for Christmas, converse type chicken lover sneaks lol
10230_0_0x2_7b0e951c-afb4-40c2-9c09-ba988452c077_1024x1024.jpg
https://www.groovebags.com/products...edium=cpc&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=21-65+
I thought these are more stylish
Did you know I had to start a new incubation and fowl thread?
HEY ALL!!!

Our Incu w/ friends thread MOVED!

OUR HOUSE IS TOO FULL and NEEDED MORE ROOM!!

[COLOR=000000]
Educational​
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]
Incubation & Hatching​
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]
w/ Sally Sunshine​
[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=000080]
Learn everything from hatching to processing​
[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=000080]
& so very much more through questions and chatting!​
[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=000000]
Hosts, BantyChooks and many many more!​
[/COLOR]​

Please keep the Pacific Northwest in your thoughts and prayers. This is coming our way, and it's going to be a monster. I'm busy prepping for it today. http://www.chinookobserver.com/co/f...ts-set-to-clobber-coast#.V_6CpTrkjuE.facebook
shopping
Oh yeah, to go out in the winter.....only 33 dollars. :D
Okay ladies and gentlemen. First things first I love the shoes! All of them! Although the chicken feet hwels would probably end me up in the hospital also I am mildly repulsed by them. Anyone else realize the chicken feet are backwards? Next everyone out in the North west please stay safe we'll be praying. Congratulations everyone on the hatches and eggs sorry for the losses Okay @Sally Sunshine Still waiting on gender of your barred chickie and pics please. Next help help help?!!! Okay here's the gist of it. Our one living created barred rock egg pipped in the worst spot but worse it had yolk oozing out of the hole. It's still alive and seems strong. Wondering and worried it was dead I opened the air cell end hoping to be able to see how it managed that. This was the egg that had a funny air cell to begin with. I've no clue how this baby is alive. I don't hold a lot of hope for it but I wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts or experience and what you all would suggest. The yolk is obliterated and seems to have been that way for at least a couple days maybe only one. It's leathery and icky but doesn't smell the baby has no membrane covering it while there are membranes with veins down the insides of the egg. I told the baby as long as it fights I'll fight for it. It clearly wants to live in spite of being in an egg that didn't have a normal air cell to begin with. I'm sure it's due to shipping. It is almost like the air cell developed under the membrane I'm not sure. I have the egg wrapped in moist paper towels with the pip up I'm hoping with help the chick will make it. All four serama eggs quit on day 16-17 I've no idea why. They all had appropriately sized air cells. It appeared as though two may have pipped into blood vessels. Two bcm eggs still look good and three or four olive eggers eggs(one if which is pipped). Amazingly both patched eggs have made it to lockdown and both seem to contain a healthy lively chick. Time will tell if they hatch. Very worried about the little crested barred rock hoping it makes it but again I don't think it has much chance. Pretty crazy I've only ever had one or two hatch with ruptured yolk sacs and nothing like this. Both also had to be put down due to massive infections and one pulled it's intestines out. Hoping for a better outcome this time but prepared for the worst.

Okay ladies and gentlemen. First things first I love the shoes! All of them! Although the chicken feet hwels would probably end me up in the hospital also I am mildly repulsed by them. Anyone else realize the chicken feet are backwards?

Next everyone out in the North west please stay safe we'll be praying.

Congratulations everyone on the hatches and eggs sorry for the losses

Okay @Sally Sunshine
Still waiting on gender of your barred chickie and pics please.

Next help help help?!!!
Okay here's the gist of it. Our one living created barred rock egg pipped in the worst spot but worse it had yolk oozing out of the hole. It's still alive and seems strong. Wondering and worried it was dead I opened the air cell end hoping to be able to see how it managed that. This was the egg that had a funny air cell to begin with. I've no clue how this baby is alive. I don't hold a lot of hope for it but I wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts or experience and what you all would suggest.

The yolk is obliterated and seems to have been that way for at least a couple days maybe only one. It's leathery and icky but doesn't smell the baby has no membrane covering it while there are membranes with veins down the insides of the egg. I told the baby as long as it fights I'll fight for it. It clearly wants to live in spite of being in an egg that didn't have a normal air cell to begin with. I'm sure it's due to shipping. It is almost like the air cell developed under the membrane I'm not sure. I have the egg wrapped in moist paper towels with the pip up I'm hoping with help the chick will make it.

All four serama eggs quit on day 16-17 I've no idea why. They all had appropriately sized air cells. It appeared as though two may have pipped into blood vessels.

Two bcm eggs still look good and three or four olive eggers eggs(one if which is pipped). Amazingly both patched eggs have made it to lockdown and both seem to contain a healthy lively chick. Time will tell if they hatch.

Very worried about the little crested barred rock hoping it makes it but again I don't think it has much chance. Pretty crazy I've only ever had one or two hatch with ruptured yolk sacs and nothing like this. Both also had to be put down due to massive infections and one pulled it's intestines out. Hoping for a better outcome this time but prepared for the worst.
Do your best to keep that egg pipped side up. If it gets turned over, there is a real risk of drowning. Other than that, just wait. The ones that pip at the wrong end always seem to take the longest to hatch.

I just went through two instances with 2 separate chicks that correspond directly to your issue.
This is what happened and what I did. (I'll try to not write a novel)
cool.png

CHICK #2
Was a breech chick. Super strong with the will to live. It was shrink wrapped but had internally pipped.
I left it a long time because I was out combining and wasn't in the house to attend.
Which is why it was probably shrink wrapped because I missed the drop and didn't get water added.
I opened the large end to confirm diagnosis. Arteries still had blood at that time so I used a Q-tip to moisten the membrane.
Put him in my container in the incubator making sure his pip was up.
Added a wet paper towel in the container and covered it with a sandwich baggie to keep moisture in. Pics below.

Opened at the end. (see the beak)
Magnification of the internal pip
Waiting for the blood vessels to shrink

Once the blood vessels were shrunken I carefully peeled the shell and membrane from the chick.
I left the wet chick to dry in the container in the incubator.
When he was half dry I discovered a small amount of intestine had popped out...presumably from his navel?
If I remember correctly, I left the chick to sleep for a bit with the intestine out while I got my tools together.
This allowed the yolk sac to shrink a bit as the chick absorbed it to give more room to replace the intestine.
I had previous experience with intestines on chick #1 and this is why I choose to wait before replacing anything.
Peeling the shell and then membrane off carefully
Left to dry

The chick's intestine
Intestine replaced.

I cut a bandaid in half, lengthwise so I could make an X bandage.
I used an X bandage on CHICK #1 and found this works really well.
X bandage keeping wound covered
Top view of X bandage on CHICK #1

CHICK #1

Chick #1 was breech in an egg that was under a new broody mom. She had pecked a chick earlier but I left the egg thinking it was safe.
roll.png

She pecked the egg prematurely, broke the yolk sac and made a hole in the chicks abdomen.
It was impossible to tell anything from the mess of sticky yolk and blood the chick was in.
I "thought" the chick only had the yolk sac sticking out so I used a bandaid and bandaged the bum/yolk sac area so the chick could absorb any remaining yolk overnight.
I placed the chick in a small container (as previously shown with Chick #2) and left the chick overnight.
I made the X bandage the next day because I wanted to clean the chick up and see how the yolk sac was doing.
I was worried it wouldn't be able to poop with the bandaid I had used.
The X bandage covers a wound/escaping intestines securely but still allows the chick to poop.
woot.gif

It was then I became aware of the perforation of the chick's abdomen and that it was a loop of intestine hanging out of CHICK #1.
The bandaid kept the intestine moist enough. (And this is why I chose to wait with CHICK #2 before replacing things)
Caught off guard I carefully replaced the intestine with round end tweezers that were NOT sterilized.
I also felt I couldn't clean the chick up because of the perforation in the abdomen. So the intestine was carefully replaced as is.
The small amount of tissue from the yolk sac was dried and I carefully removed anything that looked safe to remove.

After the hole was healed and the chick got a bath.
No sign of damage after the chick was fluffed out.
Chick #1 on the left. She's now the bigger of the chicks.

Chick #2 was healed in two days and the X bandaid was taken off.
I gave no antibiotics because I felt the container, and paper towels etc were clean and the intestine was not damaged or dirtied.

Chick #1 was given antibiotics; a water soluble powder consisting of Tetracycline HCL and Neomycin sulfate.
It was impossible to measure in a per chick amount because the powder is meant to be mixed in large amounts.
I guessed at the tiny fraction amount of powder on my 1/8 tsp measure spoon and got the chick to drink the concoction throughout the day.
This chick was left in with the other chicks and I couldn't treat the water.
I gave the chick the antibiotic for 6 days, one day extra than I planned.
I had read threads on here about peritonitis and decided on this antibiotic from posted material from Casportpony.
@casportpony
thumbsup.gif

I kept the X bandage on for 3 days. Bathed and cleaned the chick up on the 3rd day as well.

Both chicks did healed quickly with no sign of damage. Both did exceptionally well and never missed a beat.
I thought I'd lose chick #1 to peritonitis for sure. I'm still quite tickled AND pleasantly surprised they both made it.

If your chick has the will to live it certainly can make it.
thumbsup.gif

Please ask any questions if you have any. I hope I didn't miss anything and was clear
(It is 3:40 am here...lol!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom