HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally & BantyChooks

Bob, an F1 50%Dark Cornish/50% CX, Huge breast and wonderful to his girls

Bob

F1 Pure Dark Cornish

F1 Pure Dark Cornish sloppy peacomb

F1 Pure Dark Cornish floppy peacomb

Foundation Rooster Dark Cornish canned by his breeder for his huge Peacomb.

Bob, an F1 50%Dark Cornish/50% CX, Huge breast and wonderful to his girls

Bob

F1 Pure Dark Cornish

F1 Pure Dark Cornish sloppy peacomb

F1 Pure Dark Cornish floppy peacomb

Foundation Rooster Dark Cornish canned by his breeder for his huge Peacomb.
but he's beautiful ;o

Some of my boys :)

My new CCL boy. Most likely a temporary boy but I'll be raising our some of his sons.

Voldemort, the BCM

Cinnamon, RIR

My old CCL boy. I was so excited over this guy, he was beautiful. Unfortunately, I lost him before i ever got a chance to breed him.

Blue is the one on the left :) His lady, Jewel, is always with him.

Can I recommend a livestock guardian dog that sleeps outside with your birds? That's what ours does. We haven't lost a bird, or a cat, to a predator yet. (And, i'd be okay losing a couple of my nasty barn cats who keep trying to kill my chicks)
Thanks yes our coop is very secure but these boys were out in a run BC they're on the freezer camp list. Not a big loss this time but still frustrating. All of our other losses have been while free ranging. Being in southern WI we crested 100* this summer and we will probably achieve -30 or worse this winter. Not very hospitable conditions for any dog to live outside in. Plus we already have two dogs and several cats and can't really afford another dog. Although we have discussed it it's not something were prepared for right now. Besides if we can take out the predators (coyotes and fox at least) then we won't have such a problem.
@Sally Sunshine Lady I would be bombarding you with pics if I could my phone will not post and I don't know why. Regardless it doesn't matter as my phone is being the stupidest most worthless piece of technology ever at the moment. Ugh. Now for the 5:30 update. This chick is incredible I just want to say that first. I can't imagine another chick fighting so hard. We have one olive egger out and it has a head spot I'm think. :( hopefully the other four eggs pip and hatch tonight. I want to say humidity ran about 22-24% the entire hatch and I was very pleased with that. At lockdown other than the one very odd looking air cell everyone else's looked more or less perfect even the seramas. One Marans has a bit smaller air cell than I would have liked but not bad. Now I went to check on the chickie in the odd egg a bit ago and discovered that the egg was starting to smell. Worried and knowing that smell meant the build up of bacteria I quickly assessed the chick and the egg as beat I could. The chick has been slowly backing towards the open air cell since last night and this afternoon almost managed to get its butt out. Unfortunately this meant less of the membranes on the sides of the egg that could be seen. But I saw no blood in any veins. Proceeding with caution I began to wash away as much of the sickening yellow stuff (yolk left over white what have you I don't care it was gunna killy chick) very slowly and gently I washed with a warm wet paper towel wetting the membranes and peeling just shell away. More and more and more. Then I began to peel the outer membrane away from the chick. It appeared to have its umbilical wrapped around its back by this point. Seeing very little blood I continued to gently wash and peel. Is everyone on the edge of their seats yet?! The smell is pretty bad I'm not going to lie. Last night there was no smell that my still slightly stuffy nose could discern at all. Peeling and peeling. Washing and peeling. I took stock of what I was seeing and smelling and I made the decision, this baby was coming out now. There was little blood left in the umbilical and the veins were drying up. I decided that to wait would be more costly and further risk infection. I cut the umbilical or what I believe to be the umbilical everything was so convoluted and goopified. No bleeding. Good sign. I quickly but carefully began to peel the membranes down afraid of what I might find. Knowing the only backup u have right now is God and praying the entire time. (I might also add I got the hiccups in here somewhere- ever tried to assist a hatch with the hiccups?!) Lol Finally I decided to slowly dump the chick on paper towels layed on the incubator with gentle iodine and sterile scissors nearby. The chick laid there and I know it was cold. I had the warm water running in the sink and I knew I had to make one more push to completely detach the baby and wash all this goop off. To give this baby the only chance I could see. The smell was worse at the bottom of the egg. It still feels my nostrils. yuck! I've never had an egg that was dead for three days smell like this when eggtopsying. I cut the baby free and started wiping chunks off. I can't be certain right now exactly what all I was seeing. There was something that seemed more than normal afterbirth that I had to cut free. The umbilical is not completely closed but thank God it's much more closed that I had feared. There are no visible dark skin that I've come to equate to yolk sac infections. However there does seem to be a small bulge in the stomach. Perhaps part of the yolk was absorbed? I'm pretty much clueless and only time with tell if God saves this baby. It certainly didn't have the best start. The best part is that it seems to be a pullet. If she survives little Miracle is one lucky chick. I cradled her in my hands and gently ran warm water over her lower half hoping to wash away any infection or infection carrying goop. I then iodined her tummy and placed her in her strawberry box in the incubator for a rest. Time will tell but my fingers will be crossed for sure. Poor little thing is oh so tired and weaker than I had hoped but glad to he rid of the egg that entombed her. If nothing else I'm glad she made it out of the egg. Miracle her name may change but I do believe that today she earned it. She pipped early and was still in the turner but pipped below the turner so I didn't see she had not yet been placed into a hatching box and I can not believe she didn't drown. I believe it's been two days since she pipped and it is not yet day 21. Thankfully somehow though the goop formed over and ran out of the pip hole it did not suffocate her. Will try to post some pics later with DH2B's phone
awesome and congrats, you did well even if she doesn't make it know that u did everything you could :hugs wooohoooo!
@chickendreams24 I'm so happy you got it out of the egg!! congradulations!
Yay!!! Congradulations on getting her out! So far, i have been pretty good at guessing sex at hatch, Which is pretty cool!
Thank you all for the congratulations. Please keep rooting for little Miracle she seems to be oozing yolk from her navel. Seeming to confirm that she not only ruptured her yolk sac but also that she somehow managed to absorb some of it. I've had to clean her up again and she is definitely going to need some snazzy shoes to correct at least one of her feet which hasn't straightened out. To add insult to injury it got glued to her paper towel bed and she couldn't move. Poor little girl. Still rooting for her and I'd love it if everyone could spare a few cheers. Her footwear is going to have to wait until later when DH2B gets home. In the mean time I just want her to rest. The little olive eggers chick is in with her now and it seems to have calmed her although I still feel worried that she could get hurt by the other one I think this is the better choice. Her navel has still not closed and I'm wondering how much more yolk will use from her tiny belly. I hope she heals up well and doesn't continue to ooze. Then again perhaps all the infected yolk will ooze out that would be good. Thank you guys for cheering Miracle and I on it means the world.
Bob, an F1 50%Dark Cornish/50% CX, Huge breast and wonderful to his girls Bob F1 Pure Dark Cornish F1 Pure Dark Cornish sloppy peacomb F1 Pure Dark Cornish floppy peacomb Foundation Rooster Dark Cornish canned by his breeder for his huge Peacomb.
Love them they are awesome looking! Looks like a great meat line!

uPsIDE DoWN ChICk UPDATE:

After laying on his side all day and looking like he would die any minute; he got up and started to walk around. I now have guarded hope. The sad part is I almost pulled the plug three times. I hate watching them suffer; but I left him alone. We will see how determined he is. He was determined to ask for help by pipping his own breather hole on the wrong end. He was determined to rest until he could muster the strength to stand. He is very small compared to the others.

Oh
[COLOR=FF0000]uPsIDE DoWN ChICk UPDATE: [/COLOR] After laying on his side all day and looking like he would die any minute; he got up and started to walk around. I now have guarded hope. The sad part is I almost pulled the plug three times. I hate watching them suffer; but I left him alone. We will see how determined he is. He was determined to ask for help by pipping his own breather hole on the wrong end. He was determined to rest until he could muster the strength to stand. He is very small compared to the others.
oh they are cute! Prayers said for the little.

[COLOR=FF0000]uPsIDE DoWN ChICk UPDATE: [/COLOR] After laying on his side all day and looking like he would die any minute; he got up and started to walk around. I now have guarded hope. The sad part is I almost pulled the plug three times. I hate watching them suffer; but I left him alone. We will see how determined he is. He was determined to ask for help by pipping his own breather hole on the wrong end. He was determined to rest until he could muster the strength to stand. He is very small compared to the others.
Yay! Prayers said for the little!!! Seems like we both might have a miracle chickie! Hope all goes well for yours

Back
Top Bottom