Hamburg thread!

Question-I am wondering how the hamburgs LF free range? I have 100 acres and although the hens mostly stay around the buildings we do have losses from predators occassionally. Mostly coons and fox although we do live trap the offenders when possible. It seems my cochins and brahmas-although I love them-are easy pickins'. I thought a lighter quicker bird may suit free range better....any info would be appreciated...L

when I lived on the farm, I had a trio of SSH that I've got it from the Rare of Rarest assortment from McMurray and I tell you, they are the "alarm" dogs and they can fly FAST and FAR away from the dangerous predators including coons that made their visits. I never lost any to predators like I do for the heavier breeds which unfortunately the heavy breeds are so easy nabbed by predators. If you have trees nearby, that is where they will fly to to avoid anything. Don't clip their wings if you want them to fly away quickly.

they do stay on the farmstead, to eat and roost. Never had one take off forever.

Last edited:
I got 2 breeding pairs of citron hamburgs from greenfire farms this year! SUPER excited about these 4! As soon as they start laying and fertility has been checked I will put some eggs up for sale on here.

77691_104_0778.jpg

77691_104_0769.jpg

I just got 5 Citron and Gold Spangled Hamburg bantams from Dan Powell today!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom