Hands on hatching and help

Well shoot.  I guess I'm gonna ride it out.  The last batch had well over a dozen that I think drowned.  Not sure if it was because the air sac didn't get big enough or if the bacteria slowed the growth to keep em from developing to a big enough duckling to be able to get out.  Either way, maybe it'll be better to get the air sacs a little bigger than last time.

Maybe the eggs in the Brinsea are closer to hatching too.  My temp was around 99.8 degrees in there.  I didn't wanna mess with it to get it closer to 99.5 cos it was so touchy so I just let it ride at that.  Maybe they'll just hatch a day or two early which makes me happier than waiting til day 32 and having to worry all that time.

I've got all my :fl :fl for you and your babies!! I sure hope this turns out better than the last one... other than the weights, have you candled to see how they look?? Different than the others?

I am gonna be honest.
I was wondering if anyone else is up? Ugh I can't sleep. Been trying to cut back on caffiene-Thanks folks,thanks is all I'm gonna say.(please don't take that comment as disrespectful at times I can be sarcastic). Two have pipped& I'm scared I'm gonna miss it. I just want them to know I'm here. When I peek at them they just stick their beaks out LiKe "yeah we aren't ready yet"..so I wait.
Plus I keep thinking about this missing women in VA. Its all over the place. Amy's avatar reminds me of her too(no offense Amy I can't help but mention some obvious). And if it's not Amy then I think of Anna on "19Kids and counting" or "counting on" TLC(I think?). If you Google Steve mittendourf VA you will trip over what I'm talking about(lots of links too many to list one). I know byc ain't supposed to "save the world" but I'm reminded of that little kids post on random rambles&etc (it was so hopeful&sweet btw). If we can hunt down breeds of chickens in this crazy world,,,well, I dunno people amaze me when they work
2764.png
together.
Sorry I'm rambeling.
Gotta check chicks again...will update hatch status in the morning.
Keep pip'n hatchers.
Night
How many are you waiting for??

I've got all my
fl.gif
fl.gif
for you and your babies!! I sure hope this turns out better than the last one... other than the weights, have you candled to see how they look?? Different than the others?

They don't have the black spots in them like the others did. I have found several that did have the black spots and quit but the ones that are alive are doing well. The eggs are all full and dark and I can see good veins just below the air sac. The air sacs look nice and big but not overly big (except for a couple that have wacky air sacs). I didn't look closely for movement cos I didn't wanna keep them outta the incubator too long but several of them were kicking away like crazy inside.

Okay, so I don't know if I have a problem here or not and any help would be great. I weighed this last batch of eggs before I set them to try out the weight method. It is now the beginning of day 24 and I weighed them to see what the weight loss is. There are 3 left in the Lyon bator and 2 seem good with 13.84% loss on one and 11.22% loss on the other while the last one is at 15.67%. Humidity was about 40-45% most of the time. In the Brinsea however, I have one at 10.95%, one at 14.86% and then 4 that I am concerned have lost too much weight at 16.03%, 16.54%, 16.71%, and 16.91% and then one more that i forgot to write the weight down on. Humidity in here was right around 40%. Is this a problem? I was going to put them in lockdown Sunday morning which will be 25.5 days (Runners take 28.5 days to hatch). I hate to mess with the humidity again because I screwed up big time the last time I tinkered with it.

Will those ducks end up hatching just fine if I leave them in there for 2.5 more days? Or maybe I could just pop them in the hatcher on Saturday evening at the end of 25 days and see what happens. These are shipped eggs and I know someone said that it's hard to guage the shipped egg's air sacs to make sure they lose 14% so I guess I dunno what to do here.
I did he weighing thing once and personally I found it to be silly. LOL sorry NO offense. I now don't even keep track of the days, I look for the Dipping and then I know it's three days before hatching day.. Normal weight loss for runners is 14 to 15 so I can see why your a little concerned about the higher ones.
Am I understanding your correctly you have two bators going? Are you positive on the weight loss?

At this point personally I don't think I would worry about it. you may have some the pop out a little sooner then you exspect but then again they may actually make it to the due date.. as long as you can still see them wiggling around before you lock them down. That's all I would worry about.

I did he weighing thing once and personally I found it to be silly. LOL sorry NO offense. I now don't even keep track of the days, I look for the Dipping and then I know it's three days before hatching day.. Normal weight loss for runners is 14 to 15 so I can see why your a little concerned about the higher ones.
Am I understanding your correctly you have two bators going? Are you positive on the weight loss?

At this point personally I don't think I would worry about it. you may have some the pop out a little sooner then you exspect but then again they may actually make it to the due date.. as long as you can still see them wiggling around before you lock them down. That's all I would worry about.

No offense taken. I am new to hatching and figured I would try it out to see if it works. I do have 2 going. When I first started i fit 15 eggs in my brinsea but had 20. So I put the other 5 in my Lyon incubator with all of my ancona and other runner ducks that got the bacterial infection. I'm down to 3 in the Lyon and 7 in the Brinsea. I never combined them cos I was afraid the ones in the Lyon would contaminate the ones in the Brinsea. I think I'm gonna stick them all together in the Lyon to hatch though cos I hate my FI incubator that I was using as a hatcher.

Does anyone know if i can move eggs from an autoturner in the Lyon bator to hand turning in the Brinsea? I have 4 eggs from the yard that are maybe ten days old in the Lyon with the 3 runners and I wanna move them to the Brinsea but don't know if that works to switch them around.

Looked that up. Hate to be a Debbie Downer but she doesn't have a very good chance of showing up alive. It disgusts me at how sick some people can be to do some of the horrible things that are done to their victims. I read that her husband is a police officer. Not to throw accusations at the poor guy, but a cop would certainly know a few tricks to hide a body and get away with murder. The vast majority of these cases involve the spouse or partner. Hopefully she will turn up.
fl.gif
OMG that's aweful to say.. OMG.... She'll show up, just wait and see. OMG..
lol.png

Yea, I'm pretty positive on the weight loss percentages. I've got an extremely accurate scale that weighs up to a tenth of a gram and it is dead on. Nickles weigh 5.0 grams on it.

No offense taken. I am new to hatching and figured I would try it out to see if it works. I do have 2 going. When I first started i fit 15 eggs in my brinsea but had 20. So I put the other 5 in my Lyon incubator with all of my ancona and other runner ducks that got the bacterial infection. I'm down to 3 in the Lyon and 7 in the Brinsea. I never combined them cos I was afraid the ones in the Lyon would contaminate the ones in the Brinsea. I think I'm gonna stick them all together in the Lyon to hatch though cos I hate my FI incubator that I was using as a hatcher.

Does anyone know if i can move eggs from an autoturner in the Lyon bator to hand turning in the Brinsea? I have 4 eggs from the yard that are maybe ten days old in the Lyon with the 3 runners and I wanna move them to the Brinsea but don't know if that works to switch them around.
WOW, Bacteria infection THAT sucks.. MAN, did an egg explode or something? Or did it just not get cleaned out properly???

Yes, you can go from auto turning them to hand turning them at any time. as long as they get turned it doesn't really matter how...

Back
Top Bottom