Hands on hatching and help

I've heard this too. I had a $3 off coupon for organic coconut oil, so I bought one just to use at hatch time. I used it in my last hatch. The only thing is that it's really hard when you take a little scoop out, so I stuck it under the brooder light for about 15 seconds and it was good to go.
Don't worry, it's ok. As long as you didn't make the safety hole to big then the inner membrane won't dry out. That's why I asked how big it was. Your humidity sounds good. You're keeping a eye on them, so I think you're doing great. They will start to progress (usually) when they are ready.
X2
I have the brinsea Eco 20 too. Temp does not move the whole incubation. In my house during spring it gets cold at night and really hot during the day and my temp is solid.

I'm glad to hear good reviews. It was also highly rated on amazon. Can't wait till it gets here so I can move all my eggs into safety.. :)

my new fluff ball never seen a oegb this fluffy. ..lol

Aww adorable.. :)

this hatch is doing some odd things ha! or at least things i haven't seen yet. the one that pipped on its own is at 16 hours with no progress at all. it hasn't even shoved its beak out of the pip hole. the shell pieces are all in the same place they were yesterday when the hole was made. i took some tweezers really quickly just to remove the 3 little shell pieces that broke when it pipped. there was no break in the membrane. a little beak greeted me and pushed up on the membrane but there was no hole! its pip broke the shell, but not the membrane! so neat!! i made a tiny little tear with the point of a toothpick, and the beak smashed right through and opened up the hole! i'm betting this happens quite often, the membrane not breaking with the shell on that first pip, but this i smy first time to see it! these guys are giving me a run for my money, but i'm also learning a lot this hatch!

this hatch is doing some odd things ha! or at least things i haven't seen yet. the one that pipped on its own is at 16 hours with no progress at all. it hasn't even shoved its beak out of the pip hole. the shell pieces are all in the same place they were yesterday when the hole was made. i took some tweezers really quickly just to remove the 3 little shell pieces that broke when it pipped. there was no break in the membrane. a little beak greeted me and pushed up on the membrane but there was no hole! its pip broke the shell, but not the membrane! so neat!! i made a tiny little tear with the point of a toothpick, and the beak smashed right through and opened up the hole! i'm betting this happens quite often, the membrane not breaking with the shell on that first pip, but this i smy first time to see it! these guys are giving me a run for my money, but i'm also learning a lot this hatch!

Yes, its possible! lol

I normally wait 24 hours before messing with a pip, but you have to go with your instinct.
smile.png

they both are malpositioned. holy moses, i think that safety hole might have saved them. both pipped out of the back of the egg, way out of the air cell. i'm sort of amazed by my own instincts right now, but also i have no idea what to do. i keep reading over the assisted hatching guide but it's sort of vague and i wish i had help. i think i am going to start a thread and ask for some guidance!

they both are malpositioned. holy moses, i think that safety hole might have saved them. both pipped out of the back of the egg, way out of the air cell. i'm sort of amazed by my own instincts right now, but also i have no idea what to do. i keep reading over the assisted hatching guide but it's sort of vague and i wish i had help. i think i am going to start a thread and ask for some guidance!

Good luck and make sure you update. I'd help if I could but I haven't even had my first hatch yet... :)

It's normal.

If they have broken all the way through the membrane and shell, then it's best just to gie them time. If they've broken through the shell but not the membrane, I always make sure that malpo babies have a clear pip through the membrane because there is no air cell to breath from. Then I leave them to do their thing until 18-24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom