Hands on hatching and help

Hey guys so the ameracauna that has the leg issue is now having digestive problems. It has what feels like a blockage. It's bottom is super swollen. I've got it to poop a few times by soaking it in epsom salt baths and massaging it's bottom. It doesn't seem to be improving though. It's bottom is getting so big now that I feel if I don't put it down its going to have a painful end suffering. I'm going to give it another night. I honestly can't decapitate it. I just cant. I read about gassing it in the learning center but can't find the article on it now. Does anyone have the directions? @AmyLynn2374 didn't you just have to do this not long ago? Any help would be much appreciated...

Hey guys so the ameracauna that has the leg issue is now having digestive problems. It has what feels like a blockage. It's bottom is super swollen. I've got it to poop a few times by soaking it in epsom salt baths and massaging it's bottom. It doesn't seem to be improving though. It's bottom is getting so big now that I feel if I don't put it down its going to have a painful end suffering. I'm going to give it another night. I honestly can't decapitate it. I just cant. I read about gassing it in the learning center but can't find the article on it now. Does anyone have the directions? @AmyLynn2374 didn't you just have to do this not long ago? Any help would be much appreciated...

I have done both (gassed and decapitated)... To the same bird. The gas quite obviously led to a suffocating sensation. The baby cried out and thrashed and finally passed (I thought). I had it in a bag and left it on the deck to bury the next day. Went out the next day and it moved... After subjected to CO and enduring a very chilly night. I decided then that definite and quick is more humane. It was grotesquely deformed and didn't deserve suffering. It was not easy and what I focused on was not hesitating, because that could lead me to injure and cause more pain. I used a shovel.

Last edited:

I did. My first chick cull. Not a pleasant experience. The CO2 method can be potentially less human especially if you don't have the right ratio to the space of the container you are using. Supposedly the method I was given is much more humane. Always use the smallest container that your chick/bird will fit in.

Warning, sensitive members may want to stop reading now. There's no ways to sugar coat culling instructions.

Lighter fluid is the recommended form- unless you have a bottle of ether laying around. Douse a rag with lighter fluid place in the container with the chick and make sure that it is sealed up. Supposedly it doesn't take that long, but I would refrain from opening it for an hour at least. I'm pretty sure mine was gone within a couple minutes, no thrashing or moving whatsoever, but I didn't mess with it for couple hours.

I can not do the head cutting off bit myself and don't know if I will ever be able to.

Sorry to hear you might have to cull.

I did. My first chick cull. Not a pleasant experience. The CO2 method can be potentially less human especially if you don't have the right ratio to the space of the container you are using. Supposedly the method I was given is much more humane. Always use the smallest container that your chick/bird will fit in.

Warning, sensitive members may want to stop reading now. There's no ways to sugar coat culling instructions.

Lighter fluid is the recommended form- unless you have a bottle of ether laying around. Douse a rag with lighter fluid place in the container with the chick and make sure that it is sealed up. Supposedly it doesn't take that long, but I would refrain from opening it for an hour at least. I'm pretty sure mine was gone within a couple minutes, no thrashing or moving whatsoever, but I didn't mess with it for couple hours.

I can not do the head cutting off bit myself and don't know if I will ever be able to.

Sorry to hear you might have to cull.

I'm really hoping all the sudden it will just use the bathroom but it just can't and it won't drink any water. I don't want to give up on it but don't want it to suffer either. Thank you for letting me know how to handle it if I have to. :(

I had one also. A few shots of full strength Nutridrech, a few times a day, followed by clear water seemed to help. Plus massaging the abdomen. Hope yours improves.

I Just Had An Americauna Egg Explode In The Incubator, Cleaned Thoroughly To Prevent Contamination of The Other Eggs.

:sick

I have done both (gassed and decapitated)... To the same bird. The gas quite obviously led to a suffocating sensation. The baby cried out and thrashed and finally passed (I thought). I had it in a bag and left it on the deck to bury the next day. Went out the next day and it moved... After subjected to CO and enduring a very chilly night. I decided then that definite and quick is more humane. It was grotesquely deformed and didn't deserve suffering. It was not easy and what I focused on was not hesitating, because that could lead me to injure and cause more pain. I used a shovel.

Oh wow, I'm sorry.

I'm really hoping all the sudden it will just use the bathroom but it just can't and it won't drink any water. I don't want to give up on it but don't want it to suffer either. Thank you for letting me know how to handle it if I have to. :(

I cover with paper towels, find the neck with my fingers, and use a butcher knife. On wood, its easy to be sure I'm all the way through quickly. :hugs

hide.gif
I make Ken do it.

Well, I guess I am putting these eggs into lockdown tonight. 15 of them. I guess I should consider getting a brooder set up to. All I can say is my nephew better make sure his butt is up here to get them once they have hatched. A few of the air cells are still small for my liking. These eggs have wicked thick shells. Ran dry the entire time, don't think humidity was ever over 30% We'll see what happens in the next couple days.

Back
Top Bottom