Hands on hatching and help

I did. My first chick cull. Not a pleasant experience. The CO2 method can be potentially less human especially if you don't have the right ratio to the space of the container you are using. Supposedly the method I was given is much more humane. Always use the smallest container that your chick/bird will fit in.

Warning, sensitive members may want to stop reading now. There's no ways to sugar coat culling instructions.

Lighter fluid is the recommended form- unless you have a bottle of ether laying around. Douse a rag with lighter fluid place in the container with the chick and make sure that it is sealed up. Supposedly it doesn't take that long, but I would refrain from opening it for an hour at least. I'm pretty sure mine was gone within a couple minutes, no thrashing or moving whatsoever, but I didn't mess with it for couple hours.

I can not do the head cutting off bit myself and don't know if I will ever be able to.

Sorry to hear you might have to cull.

Would this work the same for an adult bird? I wonder what you could use to seal up a large enough container. Maybe one of those cement mixing buckets with a lid from Home Depot?
If I had a "Ken" I'd make him do it too.  ;)

X2!

Well, I guess I am putting these eggs into lockdown tonight. 15 of them. I guess I should consider getting a brooder set up to.  All I can say is my nephew better make sure his butt is up here to get them once they have hatched.  A few of the air cells are still small for my liking. These eggs have wicked thick shells. Ran dry the entire time, don't think humidity was ever over 30% We'll see what happens in the next couple days.

Good luck I the hatch! Are you sure they are all chicken eggs? When are you setting the Guinea eggs?

I'm moving my cream legbars to the hatcher now for lockdown. I'm so nervous I could cry
1f62d.png

:fl are these shipped or local?

@RubyNala97 they are shipped eggs. 4/8 have made it this far so hopefully next week I have at least two new little pullets.

Yup, shipped will make you nervous!! Especially at lockdown! Did you lay them down for lockdown? All you can do at this point is wait and if they internally pip then we can help you get them out! Update when you get some action. :)

Well, I guess I am putting these eggs into lockdown tonight. 15 of them. I guess I should consider getting a brooder set up to.  All I can say is my nephew better make sure his butt is up here to get them once they have hatched.  A few of the air cells are still small for my liking. These eggs have wicked thick shells. Ran dry the entire time, don't think humidity was ever over 30% We'll see what happens in the next couple days.

Already? :D

Good luck :fl

I'm moving my cream legbars to the hatcher now for lockdown. I'm so nervous I could cry
1f62d.png

Good luck! Can't wait to see them :fl

Yup, shipped will make you nervous!! Especially at lockdown! Did you lay them down for lockdown? All you can do at this point is wait and if they internally pip then we can help you get them out! Update when you get some action. :)

Ruby, I'm getting sister/brother call duck eggs to some of your babies tomorrow! Ravyn and I are meeting and she's bringing me eggs :ya (and some pretty oegb pullets!)

I've been hatching a lot of shipped eggs this summer to try to get the breeds i want and have had mixed results. I did well with two batches of Bantams and some guineas but have not managed to get any LF to hatch... Then again both shipments did not arrive in good condition. I'm pretty good with assisting but still... The air cells on 3 are saddle shaped but otherwise all look okay. I've had good hatches laying down, though the saddle shape throws me off for positioning.

Would this work the same for an adult bird? I wonder what you could use to seal up a large enough container. Maybe one of those cement mixing buckets with a lid from Home Depot?
X2!
Good luck I the hatch! Are you sure they are all chicken eggs? When are you setting the Guinea eggs?
fl.gif
are these shipped or local?
According to the post I was given, yes, you'd need an appropriet sized container and more fluid of course. I can't imagine trying it with an adult bird though. I think I'd have to find someone to do the job for me that would do it the "quick" way. Depends on the chicken I guess. Yes I'm 100% sure they are all chicken. If he still plans on me doing the guineas for him I would assume that he would bring them down when they come to get the chicks, so this next week sometime. Oh crap...I gotta go and get a small bag of starter crumbles tomorrow. I don't have any and he didn't bring me any. I'm charging him too!!! lol

Already?
big_smile.png

Good luck
fl.gif

Good luck! Can't wait to see them
fl.gif

Ruby, I'm getting sister/brother call duck eggs to some of your babies tomorrow! Ravyn and I are meeting and she's bringing me eggs
ya.gif
(and some pretty oegb pullets!)
Thanks!

I had one also. A few shots of full strength Nutridrech, a few times a day, followed by clear water seemed to help. Plus massaging the abdomen. Hope yours improves.
:sick
Oh wow, I'm sorry.
I cover with paper towels, find the neck with my fingers, and use a butcher knife. On wood, its easy to be sure I'm all the way through quickly. :hugs

:oops:   I make Ken do it.

We have been trying the nutridrench but no luck so far. I k ow it's time to put it down but I'm stalling hoping for a miracle. I know it's my responsibility to put it out of its misery but it's my first time and I'm not sure if I can. Trying to talk my husband into doing it but I can tell he doesn't want to.. :( I just feel awful about all this.. :(

Back
Top Bottom