Hands on hatching and help

I'm starting to stress a little.  Hatch day is Sunday.  I am using a Hovabator 1602 (still air, with the wafer thermostat).  I've never had this many live babies make it this far before and I have had to turn the temperature down one complete turn of the dial in the last few days.  Anyone know if this is normal?  There are 16 eggs in the incubator.  I'm worried my thermometers are reading wrong somehow, but I have three in there so surely that can't be it.

When you don't have a thermostat controlled incubator, it is not uncommon to see temps raise slightly toward the end because the chicks do start making their own body heat. I know it was normal for me when using the LG 9200 to see slight heat increase the last week and have to adjust down.

Quote:
smack.gif

WV duck idk how I missed your posted earlier so sorry frustrating. I have assisted a bunch and possibly over assisted w/ my last hatch or the chick just wouldn't of made it but I felt awful try to take it as a learning experience. I'm being much more cautious this round 2 wrong end pips not helping my cause here.... One that pipped over night sometime I opened a big early put on the bac ointment and it was able to pop it self right out phewww. One more still absorbing now and scared to open another just externally pipped humidity is quite high 80+% so it's ok but I'm hoping it will take a little nap lol. Good luck on hatching to the new peeps!!!

Oops, that reminds me, there are still 2 DIS eggs in my incubator :oops:

:lau

Been ther, done that... found a chick once on day 24 or 25 doing that too... poor bugger was scared chitless when I opened the bator... surprised me too! :gig

I'm starting to stress a little.  Hatch day is Sunday.  I am using a Hovabator 1602 (still air, with the wafer thermostat).  I've never had this many live babies make it this far before and I have had to turn the temperature down one complete turn of the dial in the last few days.  Anyone know if this is normal?  There are 16 eggs in the incubator.  I'm worried my thermometers are reading wrong somehow, but I have three in there so surely that can't be it.

My old 1602N did that too when it was full of live eggs towards the end... like AmyL said, tis normal and is positive that the babies are alive and well... :)

lau.gif

Been ther, done that... found a chick once on day 24 or 25 doing that too... poor bugger was scared chitless when I opened the bator... surprised me too!
gig.gif

My old 1602N did that too when it was full of live eggs towards the end... like AmyL said, tis normal and is positive that the babies are alive and well...
smile.png

Thanks! I just went down for a peek and they are rocking and rolling down there. Can't believe how much heat they are generating on their own. And of course it's -15 here right now, so they can't possibly go outside. #Awesome

​Thanks!  I just went down for a peek and they are rocking and rolling down there.  Can't believe how much heat they are generating on their own.  And of course it's -15 here right now, so they can't possibly go outside.  #Awesome

I just hatched a half dozen ducks, cold here too... :sick

And somebody wants me to set a whole bunch more! :lau

The trouble is with no way to measure the temp and the humidity we can't really help you. Could they just be late because your temperature has been too low? Maybe. Could a temp spike or a temp low have killed them? Also possible. Could the humidity have been wrong and could they have drowned in the shells, a common cause of late death during incubation? Another possibility. Without a way to measure those critical components of incubation we can't really help you and can only take shots in the dark.

My advice is to go out, right now, and pick something up to measure these things. You can get a nice digital thermometer with a probe in the reptile section of any pet store. You can get a combo temp and humidity reader at Walmart from the thermometer section, or you can grab a humidity gage from the pet store while you're there getting the thermometer, although these are not as accurate. None of these things will cost you more than $10.

X2!

I would pick up a thermometer & hygrometer now. That way you can at least monitor your temp and humidity for a few days to see how it's running. Once you have the numbers it can help troubleshoot what went wrong. Also you will be able to see if there are big fluctuations in temp/humidity and how long they last.

Also humidity can affect the temp. Good luck to the babies. Sounds like you're doing a great job!

I forgot to post that I set 39 eggs on Monday!! :jumpy
Actually it was 36 but then I added 3 more on Tuesday. I had an old customer ask me if I would hatch 3 dozen chicks for a 4H fundraiser at half price. It just so happened that my girls were laying like crazy (5 just went broody) and I had 3 dozen eggs just sitting here. How could I say no?? My incubator is packed to the max!

@RubyNala97 my humidity has been rock steady at 30-32%. I'll lock it down tomorrow night and raise humidity. Fingers crossed for a great hatch!

Back
Top Bottom