Hands on hatching and help

So I did my day 7 candle last night. Out of 39 eggs only 1 was clear, 1 had a blood ring and 1 was questionable so I left it in. They were hard to candle. All the shells are super thick and a light brown. Also the air cells were a bit on the small side which I believe correlates with the shells. Funny thing is that I just did a batch of someone else's silkie eggs and they lost moisture like crazy but the egg shells were thin, white and chalky. But it just goes to show that even when hatching the same breed the humidity can vary greatly. All depends on what the air cells tell you!

So I did my day 7 candle last night. Out of 39 eggs only 1 was clear, 1 had a blood ring and 1 was questionable so I left it in. They were hard to candle. All the shells are super thick and a light brown. Also the air cells were a bit on the small side which I believe correlates with the shells. Funny thing is that I just did a batch of someone else's silkie eggs and they lost moisture like crazy but the egg shells were thin, white and chalky. But it just goes to show that even when hatching the same breed the humidity can vary greatly. All depends on what the air cells tell you!

thumbsup.gif
sounds great!!

@AmyLynn2374
  found something for you! 

Love it...lol

True true!

Well, we ended up with 13 babies out of 16 eggs. One was clear (it was dark green and I couldn't see into it AT ALL) one died on hatch day without ever internally pipping, and one hatched with an unabsorbed yolk sac and died the following day. This is our best hatch ever and I am pretty thrilled with the results, although I wish we could have saved the one with the yolk issue.
They're a rainbow of colors, both purebreds and some fun crosses (Black Copper Marans/Splash Orpington makes CUTE babies).

Well, we ended up with 13 babies out of 16 eggs. One was clear (it was dark green and I couldn't see into it AT ALL) one died on hatch day without ever internally pipping, and one hatched with an unabsorbed yolk sac and died the following day. This is our best hatch ever and I am pretty thrilled with the results, although I wish we could have saved the one with the yolk issue.
They're a rainbow of colors, both purebreds and some fun crosses (Black Copper Marans/Splash Orpington makes CUTE babies).

Excellent!!
ya.gif
Post some pics when you get a chance!

I ended up losing all 5 of the Wyandottes chicks I hatched none of them seemed right from the start I did have another hatch from a different breeder w/o any issues its in w/ some older Orp chicks and it's doing great. So strange they all had some kind of physical issue and none would eat or drink at all I tried vitamins droppering electrolyte water boiled eggs wet feed etc etc etc. the last one died this morning it couldn't turn its little head at all. I have hatched close to 100 chicks this fall and many many more in past years and never had this occur. I'm thinking it was bad breeding I can't rule out an incubator issue but just seems bizarre that the other chick is completely normal. I have another 4 due at the end of the week from a great breeder I have hatched from before but I'm having so much anxiety.... Hoping it's not an error/oversight on my part.

So cute! Love the double-butt shot! :D

I ended up losing all 5 of the Wyandottes chicks I hatched none of them seemed right from the start I did have another hatch from a different breeder w/o any issues its in w/ some older Orp chicks and it's doing great. So strange they all had some kind of physical issue and none would eat or drink at all I tried vitamins droppering electrolyte water boiled eggs wet feed etc etc etc. the last one died this morning it couldn't turn its little head at all. I have hatched close to 100 chicks this fall and many many more in past years and never had this occur. I'm thinking it was bad breeding I can't rule out an incubator issue but just seems bizarre that the other chick is completely normal. I have another 4 due at the end of the week from a great breeder I have hatched from before but I'm having so much anxiety.... Hoping it's not an error/oversight on my part.

Wow, that is strange. But if they all came from the same breeder and the other one came from somewhere different, I'd have to lean toward the breeding. Or shipping maybe? Maybe the eggs were exposed to something hazardous along the way??

So sorry for your loss :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom