Hands on hatching and help

Hope your dad is ok
1f618.png
Hope your dad is ok
1f618.png

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope he is ok?

Thanks gals. He's sore, his face is pretty scraped up. Nothing broken though. He's almost 86 so that's the first thing I worry about.

Hey guys having trouble keeping my humidity up in the brinsea. I have my 5 call duck eggs with the detached air cells in there. I'm having to add sponges daily just to get to 40 percent. Without the sponges its sitting at 20 percent. Its been 3 days now and I haven't been turning but I don't want to do that much longer. Worried about them cooling for me to add water this first week. Do you all think it will be OK or should I just leave it?

Hey guys having trouble keeping my humidity up in the brinsea. I have my 5 call duck eggs with the detached air cells in there. I'm having to add sponges daily just to get to 40 percent. Without the sponges its sitting at 20 percent. Its been 3 days now and I haven't been turning but I don't want to do that much longer. Worried about them cooling for me to add water this first week. Do you all think it will be OK or should I just leave it?
Mine was the same last time so I've just stopped thinking about the humidity and doing this dry hatch. I've had only 2 quitters so far and this is the last week!! Before I was losing probably half. It's more temp I worry about! My humidity is at 26 without any water added

I decided I should probably go and clean my bator and start it back up if I am going to set eggs tonight since I haven't completely cleaned it or dumped the water since last week's hatch. My humidity was reading 91% lol I cleaned it out, dumped the water trays, dried them out, got everything put back together and plugged it in. Within 15-20 minutes the temp was already back to incubation temps. I just love this bator! Humidity is down to 74%, so it still has a way to go. We are looking at rain everyday over the next week or more, warmer weather so stove won't be running during the day at least, so I may be able to run dry this time. I sooo hope fertility and viability is up now. If so I can actually advertise fertile eggs for sale, just have to figure out how much to charge.

I decided I should probably go and clean my bator and start it back up if I am going to set eggs tonight since I haven't completely cleaned it or dumped the water since last week's hatch. My humidity was reading 91% lol I cleaned it out, dumped the water trays, dried them out, got everything put back together and plugged it in. Within 15-20 minutes the temp was already back to incubation temps. I just love this bator! Humidity is down to 74%, so it still has a way to go. We are looking at rain everyday over the next week or more, warmer weather so stove won't be running during the day at least, so I may be able to run dry this time. I sooo hope fertility and viability is up now. If so I can actually advertise fertile eggs for sale, just have to figure out how much to charge.
Um, if you wanna practice........

Oh god!!! Ok I'll remove it and check don't want my eggs ruined or my house to stink!!

Lol I don't blame you. It shocked me when it happened. I've only had it happen the one time but that's all it took lol.

Mine was the same last time so I've just stopped thinking about the humidity and doing this dry hatch. I've had only 2 quitters so far and this is the last week!! Before I was losing probably half. It's more temp I worry about! My humidity is at 26 without any water added

I only have the 5 eggs and these will be my last so I can't afford for to many to quit lol.

Oh you must be excited to be able to sell your eggs. Im sure it helps cover some of the cost of chicken keeping lol.
1f601.png

Oh, pricing, shipping...that kind of thing....

Are you saying you want to hatch some more??
1f600.png

Lol I don't blame you. It shocked me when it happened. I've only had it happen the one time but that's all it took lol.
I only have the 5 eggs and these will be my last so I can't afford for to many to quit lol.
Oh you must be excited to be able to sell your eggs. Im sure it helps cover some of the cost of chicken keeping lol.
1f601.png

I should find the pics of the egg I had that almost exploded....
I haven't sold any yet or even advertised because my fertility has been so low, I've had constant broodies so I was only getting to collect an egg or two a day if I was lucky and apparently silkie eggs are more delicate and really need proper attention to storing because the hatch I collected two weeks to get enough eggs, 5 or 6 out of the first week showed development and died almost as soon as they started, but all the ones from the second week that started made it to lockdown and hatch. But, most of the eggs I've collected from my own birds are mixes, which are much more hardy and I'd just put them in the cartons and set them aside and they did fine. Apparently not with these guys, so I have been practicing proper storage technique this time round.
1f609.png
Lol of course the eggs will all be like 5 days old and less lol.

Back
Top Bottom