Hands on hatching and help

**final update** chick lasted 3 days. Was really small compared to the other ones. Eyes were just little slits. Anyway we went to church and came back and was looking for it. I didn't see it. I went to disperse the chicks and it was flat on the bottom of the box. It was plenty warm in there and it's feathers were out ok, it was eating and drinking as I saw it myself. Just wasn't meant to be.
1f622.png
Here's a pic of it before it died. You can see how small it was compared to the others. It's in the back to the left

I also wanted to update you all on the hatch overall. I set in 24 eggs. 8 weren't fertilized. 4 didn't hatch but were fully formed. Must've hit a blood vessel-they all 4 were bloody but still had the yolk that didn't absorb. The rest hatched but I've had a sad hatch this time. Little guy I helped out didn't make it. Another one was chirping like crazy last night. Went over to look and he was sittin off by himself with his leg stretched out to the back. Somehow it's hip was broken and it couldn't move. It was shaking and in pain I imagine. I had to cull it. It was the most humane thing to do. I put it in a plastic bag and quickly broke its neck. I looked at my husband with sadness and he hugged me and said "honey, today you became a farmer" I guess being a hospice nurse this shouldn't be too rough but it is. Poor little guy. I keep trying to think if I've done something wrong. Sigh. Anyway, I have ended up with 10 chicks and I think 3 are roosters so that's good. Pic of the remaining ones...

**final update** chick lasted 3 days. Was really small compared to the other ones. Eyes were just little slits. Anyway we went to church and came back and was looking for it. I didn't see it. I went to disperse the chicks and it was flat on the bottom of the box. It was plenty warm in there and it's feathers were out ok, it was eating and drinking as I saw it myself. Just wasn't meant to be.
1f622.png
Here's a pic of it before it died. You can see how small it was compared to the others. It's in the back to the left
So sorry you lost your chick

I also wanted to update you all on the hatch overall. I set in 24 eggs. 8 weren't fertilized. 4 didn't hatch but were fully formed. Must've hit a blood vessel-they all 4 were bloody but still had the yolk that didn't absorb. The rest hatched but I've had a sad hatch this time. Little guy I helped out didn't make it. Another one was chirping like crazy last night. Went over to look and he was sittin off by himself with his leg stretched out to the back. Somehow it's hip was broken and it couldn't move. It was shaking and in pain I imagine. I had to cull it. It was the most humane thing to do. I put it in a plastic bag and quickly broke its neck. I looked at my husband with sadness and he hugged me and said "honey, today you became a farmer" I guess being a hospice nurse this shouldn't be too rough but it is. Poor little guy. I keep trying to think if I've done something wrong. Sigh. Anyway, I have ended up with 10 chicks and I think 3 are roosters so that's good. Pic of the remaining ones...

The bummer side of hatching, sometimes they can't be saved. Good looking group you got though.

The gosling is out :weee

:celebrate

Oh, here's my little gosling, for those that wanted pictures!

He's a gander, and I don't think I'll keep him, because he has a very small tuft. I'm not surprised, since his mother's tuft is nearly nonexistent, and his is an improvement over hers, but I don't really want to put a gander with a small tuft over the girls. If he'd been a girl I could have kept her, my gander has a nice tuft and clearly it's improving with the generations, but with him over the girls with nice tufts, he'd actually take me backwards :(

But he's still a little cutie and I'll make sure he finds a great home if I don't keep him.

Last edited:
Oh, here's my little gosling, for those that wanted pictures!

He's a gander, and I don't think I'll keep him, because he has a very small tuft. I'm not surprised, since his mother's tuft is nearly nonexistent, and his is an improvement over hers, but I don't really want to put a gander with a small tuft over the girls. If he'd been a girl I could have kept her, my gander has a nice tuft and clearly it's improving with the generations, but with him over the girls with nice tufts, he'd actually take me backwards :(

But he's still a little cutie and I'll make sure he finds a great home if I don't keep him.

How can you tell he is a gander so young? He sure is a cutie!
1f60a.png
I'm sure he will make a great addition to someones flock if you don't keep him..

Back
Top Bottom