Hands on hatching and help

Pics
I'll get a pic later and post it when I get to civilization... For now though, I have an egg in the process of quitting, and because I monitor, I've been able to watch this happen. Here's my question... What could cause a lime green "goo" in the egg? I'll assume bacterial?

I'll get a pic later and post it when I get to civilization... For now though, I have an egg in the process of quitting, and because I monitor, I've been able to watch this happen. Here's my question... What could cause a lime green "goo" in the egg? I'll assume bacterial?

The lime green poop is their normal first poops, just like meconium in human babies.
Eta. Sometimes the chick can poop early and cause a bacterial infection. If it is an early death it could also be due to bacteria.

Last edited:
Haha Amy! Glad you specified that one!
yuckyuck.gif
I gotta say I have a special place in my heart for animals, babies, and kids... adults on the other hand generally bring their problems on themselves! (Can you tell I am a public servant! LOL!!! Oh well, keeps me in business!)

Yes we all here feel strongly about helping out these peeps if they get into trouble. Not sure we could stand by and doing nothing if we had too!
jumpy.gif
LMAO Mine is animals babies and the elderly, (provided they are not the miserable kind...lol)

Doesn't count then!
wink.png

I've heard that ducks are amazing to candle and you can see them swimming. I'm so jealous!
Hi Kathy. You actually helped me with my first assist...it was on a pea egg! She's a healthy girl today!
Congrats on the awesome hatch!! I love it when that happens! I'm on day 15 now and these eggs are looking so good, I'm hoping they all hatch too!
fl.gif

The lime green poop is their normal first poops, just like meconium in human babies.
Eta. Sometimes the chick can poop early and cause a bacterial infection. If it is an early death it could also be due to bacteria.
My guess would be bacteria too, especially if the "green goo" is yolk goo and not poo goo and it's green.

I wish I had found this thread earlier today! Ended up having to assist one of my last eggs this afternoon (15 of 18 hatched yesterday) ... looong story but she is now out and incredibly weak. Some of her membrane dried to her back -- I have left it for now since she is so tired. When I helped her with the top half of the shell, I noticed a REALLY foul smell on her/in the egg. Of course, there was the typical goo at the bottom but am wondering if that smell is typical?

Lol..sounding a bit like Dr. Seuss.
LOL right

I wish I had found this thread earlier today! Ended up having to assist one of my last eggs this afternoon (15 of 18 hatched yesterday) ... looong story but she is now out and incredibly weak. Some of her membrane dried to her back -- I have left it for now since she is so tired. When I helped her with the top half of the shell, I noticed a REALLY foul smell on her/in the egg. Of course, there was the typical goo at the bottom but am wondering if that smell is typical?
There shouldn't be, no. What does the belly/"navel" look like? I would be concerned about Omphalitis. You can read more here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis
I would give her either sav a chick or NutriDrench if you can.

LOL right

There shouldn't be, no. What does the belly/"navel" look like? I would be concerned about Omphalitis. You can read more here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis
I would give her either sav a chick or NutriDrench if you can.

I checked and navel area is closed. She cries a lot and flops all over bator now. .... I believe her toes are curled up. Was waiting to make sure they won't straighten as she gets stronger but am guessing I need to make her some shoes

Well the litte one that tried to hatch a week early, is now out of the shell. I woke up at 12:30am to constant peeps from the bator, checked it and the egg was nasty. Filled with brown goo. He came out of the egg easily and has exposed yolk. Not real hopeful for this one, I'm thinking there's gonna be bacterial issues. We'll see.
The other egg, green goo, not poo... I'm gonna guess bacteria, again. Since this is happening, after all these eggs are done, I'm gonna sterilize the bator.

I checked and navel area is closed. She cries a lot and flops all over bator now. .... I believe her toes are curled up. Was waiting to make sure they won't straighten as she gets stronger but am guessing I need to make her some shoes
I would. The longer you wait, the harder to correct I believe.

Well the litte one that tried to hatch a week early, is now out of the shell. I woke up at 12:30am to constant peeps from the bator, checked it and the egg was nasty. Filled with brown goo. He came out of the egg easily and has exposed yolk. Not real hopeful for this one, I'm thinking there's gonna be bacterial issues. We'll see.
The other egg, green goo, not poo... I'm gonna guess bacteria, again. Since this is happening, after all these eggs are done, I'm gonna sterilize the bator.
I'm thinking that's a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom