Hands on hatching and help

I did some editing and culling of a few recent posts here. Lets please try to be patient and kind to people here on BYC.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-BYC Staff

Last edited:
Thank you! I am so glad I found such an amazing and supportive group! You guys are wonderful!

Now it seems I am still in need of help with this hatch.

This little guy made this pip sometime between 1300-1800 on Saturday. I tried to remain hands off but by this morning (Monday) there still hasn't been any progress. As I was checking it, I found out the air sack isn't at the end of the egg, it's more on its side. Also I shined a light in the hole and the baby is still very much alive, breathing through its beak, almost like a panting. I am unable to help because there are still veins everywhere. Does this chick have a chance of surviving even if it pipped so early? The membrane under the hole is turning white but the hole is too small to get a qtip in it to apply anything. I have it wrapped in a wet paper towel now.

On a lighter note, Akia is enjoying all the attention, loves to snuggle and is very vociferous just like its mamma (that's how mamma earned the name Hagitha lol)

I'm sad to say when I arrived home today, the second baby did not survive. :( the veins were finally retracting but it didn't absorb the yolk and it pipped 48+ hours prior to death.
So out of my first incubation ever, I have one healthy perfect chick, 1 death and 2 that I haven't given up on even though they haven't pipped but since it's only day 20, they got time to spare.
I explained to my husband my fear of incubating again (especially since someone at work scolded me for playing God) but he reminded me that I learned such a large amount from this hatch and I have found such an amazing and talented group of people that can guide me that I might try again with my newfound knowledge :)

Don't give up. My first two hatches where 100% fails. My third hatch was only two out of 18, but the post office did not call and the eggs sat an extra two days there before I got them. My fourth hatch was 6 out of 24 of my own eggs from young hens. Now I'm hooked. I have more eggs coming on the 30th.

I'm sad to say when I arrived home today, the second baby did not survive.
sad.png
the veins were finally retracting but it didn't absorb the yolk and it pipped 48+ hours prior to death.
So out of my first incubation ever, I have one healthy perfect chick, 1 death and 2 that I haven't given up on even though they haven't pipped but since it's only day 20, they got time to spare.
I explained to my husband my fear of incubating again (especially since someone at work scolded me for playing God) but he reminded me that I learned such a large amount from this hatch and I have found such an amazing and talented group of people that can guide me that I might try again with my newfound knowledge
smile.png
hugs.gif
Sorry to hear that. I agree with your husband. (Tell your co-worker to shove it
wink.png
If that isn't enough ask if they eat grocery store meat and show them a video of what happens to chickens in the meat industry and the conditions they live in. Turn about is fair play, they want to guilt trip you, give it back to them!)

My very first hatch 2 years ago was pretty much a failure. I had 17 developing eggs go into lockdown and only one come out alive. I bought a brand new thermometer and neer checked it. The one that did hatch and survive hatched on day 24. Because of the good people of BYC I found out that my thermometer was 6 degrees off. I also did much research and found that even though I was using a recommended humidity rate, I was probably drowning my chicks. So with new knowledge, even though I had decided never again- I tried again and successfully hatched out 13 chicks. Knock on wood, I have not had a bad hatch since and have continued to increase hatch rates right up to 100% on my last hatch last season. So, we are here if you need us and more than willing to share what we have learned and how we make it work for us.

I'm sad to say when I arrived home today, the second baby did not survive. :( the veins were finally retracting but it didn't absorb the yolk and it pipped 48+ hours prior to death.
I explained to my husband my fear of incubating again (especially since someone at work scolded me for playing God) but he reminded me that I learned such a large amount from this hatch and I have found such an amazing and talented group of people that can guide me that I might try again with my newfound knowledge :)

I royally messed up my first hatch..started with shipped eggs, styro wafer bator, added a few local eggs for a staggered hatch without a separate hatcher, relied on the incus temp reading..it was a wreck (surprisingly managed to hatch a few by the grace of God ..but I promise..it only gets better.. and there are some AMAZING ladies on this thread that are here day and night to talk you thru if something happens.. you can do it ♡♡

I royally messed up my first hatch..started with shipped eggs, styro wafer bator, added a few local eggs for a staggered hatch without a separate hatcher, relied on the incus temp reading..it was a wreck (surprisingly managed to hatch a few by the grace of God ..but I promise..it only gets better.. and there are some AMAZING ladies on this thread that are here day and night to talk you thru if something happens.. you can do it ♡♡
And don't forget me...I'm here too! I'm the thread's Official Stoopid Question Asker. My job is to ask the really dumb questions so people who might have the same questions can get the answers without having to ask them themselves! You're welcome!
wink.png

So, I just went in to candle and mark air cells and up the humidity for lockdown and I have 2 internal pips and 2 that are pushing up into the cell, but doesn't look like they're all the way in yet. A few more that are drawn down and half that aren't yet. There's a couple, especially one, that I am not having a good feeling about. So it looks like this one will be early as well. I just hope it's a good turn out, cause these eggs are my hardest ones.

And don't forget me...I'm here too! I'm the thread's Official Stoopid Question Asker. My job is to ask the really dumb questions so people who might have the same questions can get the answers without having to ask them themselves! You're welcome!
wink.png
yuckyuck.gif

Not to mention the thread's comic relief......lol

Back
Top Bottom