Hands on hatching and help

I must be a gluten for punishment. I'm getting more shipped call duck eggs from Ravyn this week. I'm also trying to get some local call eggs to set with them in case the shipped don't go so well again. I'm determined to hatch more then 1 duckling! Speaking of which, here's a new pic of my big boy. He's getting his feathers in (I hope it's a boy)...

Of course you have to try again! He's beautiful! Love the solid black bill and nail. And those pretty little chest feathers!

Did I tell yall that my duck is sitting on eggs? Probably! lol
She had 15, I pulled 4 clear last night, but 11 going strong.

Not for the photo quality or anything, but this may be my favorite candling pic ever, just because its the very first time I ever checked an egg that a broody is sitting on. My duck.

I must be a gluten for punishment. I'm getting more shipped call duck eggs from Ravyn this week. I'm also trying to get some local call eggs to set with them in case the shipped don't go so well again. I'm determined to hatch more then 1 duckling! Speaking of which, here's a new pic of my big boy. He's getting his feathers in (I hope it's a boy)...

Going in just a few to to take your box to the PO... I don't go early cuz the truck doesn't leave for Nashville til late...

And have super good news for you!! My earlier laid eggs I had a lot of clears, probably from the drake change, but the last 3 days worth of the set are 100% fertile!!

I included all eggs laid, a couple aren't the best shape/quality but figured I'd rather give you the best chances and send them too...

In other news, I have a very strange Call egg developing... gonna try to get a vid later, cuz pic won't show it...

Not sure why I didn't know of this thread before but you guys are my people :D I'm always helping, candling, opening the incubator during hatch if a chick is stuck, etc.

We all have bad hatches occasionally.  Learning from mistakes is just part of the process.  I hope you will keep trying.  If you didn't get emotional, you wouldn't be here!  :hugs

Again, we all have bad hatches from time to time.  Conditions can never be perfect.  We do the best we can.
My last little chicklet that was so small, went home with @WildHens
 and she can tell you what a little spunk a smaller one can be!  :D   I think they learn very quickly how to hold their own! 
And I agree, the genetics are fascinating!  I'm still dying to hatch some of my golden comet eggs.  I've had other people hatch some of them, and they get some interesting mixes.  I've only hatched a couple, and those went with a sale (and were soon eaten by predators!  UGH)  so I have yet to see any of them grow out.  But they all hatched out looking different.  That's the fun of mixes.

Post some pics of your new ones  :)  

This is Lil Miss.. she's teeny.. most of those chicks around her are younger by a week or so at the least..there is a reason they are all giving her plenty of space..bc she will whip up on any of them...

:frow hi everyone! I'm 12 days behind in the thread
1f62e.png

Maybe I'll get caught up someday lol. Long story short- I got a concussion out in the barn on the 6th and have been slowly recovering and getting back to "normal" After an ER visit, multiple CT scans and Dr visits later, doing ok thankfully.

My chicks hatched on the 11th and despite feeling like crap I did manage to help a couple malpositioned babies out who were definitely ready- not a speck of blood to be found in those shells during the assists.

I had an amazing hatch overall on 2 sets of shipped eggs!
13 of 16 BBS mottled bantam Cochins hatched :yiipchick
These eggs came from @wallabyofchaos

I also had 7 of 9 shipped black copper Marans hatch (from a different seller)
1f604.png

So the hovabator still air did great!!!

My young broody Marans is setting like a champ so far- she's on day 17 on the 6 eggs under her :)

We have the NPIP tester coming out this evening to test our birds so hopefully that goes well today!

:frow hi everyone! I'm 12 days behind in the thread
1f62e.png

Maybe I'll get caught up someday lol. Long story short- I got a concussion out in the barn on the 6th and have been slowly recovering and getting back to "normal" After an ER visit, multiple CT scans and Dr visits later, doing ok thankfully.

My chicks hatched on the 11th and despite feeling like crap I did manage to help a couple malpositioned babies out who were definitely ready- not a speck of blood to be found in those shells during the assists.

13 of 16 BBS mottled bantam Cochins hatched :yiipchick

1f604.png

My young broody Marans is setting like a champ so far- she's on day 17 on the 6 eggs under her :)

We have the NPIP tester coming out this evening to test our birds so hopefully that goes well today!

You are alive! Howdy!! :frow

frow.gif
hi everyone! I'm 12 days behind in the thread
1f62e.png

13 of 16 BBS mottled bantam Cochins hatched
yippiechickie.gif

1f604.png

Glad to hear you are ok!!! One of my fears is getting a concussion while working in the coop and being out cold. My babies are sweet for the most part, but I am pretty sure that they would pick my bones clean in I was laying there unconscious.....lol
Babies are adorable.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
That thread and several others. I really hope I caught that fast enough because the poster never responded back when asked how the baby was doing :/ It's exactly who you think it is. They're on several threads I follow. Honestly I've considered going to the mods myself. Perhaps we should consider a group pm with one of them.

I know I'm new to the site, but I'm in if you need volunteers

Back
Top Bottom