Hands on hatching and help

No I don't think thats too hot. And you asked about water before too. In my area with 60%+ humidity as the norm, I never need to add water to my incubator until hatch time and then it's only a small cup. I have some locked down now. Here what they look like

For you seasoned hatchers, it's the quiet before the storm!

Ok good I'm going to set it there then. Thanks. :)

I figure if the thermometer sais 100 and my digital sais 98 degrees then I'm covered both ways just in case ones wrong?

Naaahop I disagree here. Is your probe calibrated properly against ice water? If it's reading properly an The other isn't then your only at 98, try one more degree and your Still covered as normal parameters are 99.5-102.5

I thought that was the temp for still air? My book say 98 to 99 f for forced air and 100 to 102 f for still air?

99.5 is the goal temp for forced air and 101.5 measured at the top of the egg is the goal temp for still air. 98 is too low and will cause slow development and possibly developmental problems in the embryos.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
frow.gif

I haven't been able to get on to read and post as much as I'd like to
1f615.png
The concussion recovery has been very slow but I'm getting there! Looking forward to reading back as I can, and getting caught up
1f600.png

I said I wasn't going to...but I set more eggs in the incubator today lol
The way I look at it even a slow recovery is still recovery.

I'm so proud of me!! I had a chance to get some barnyard mutt eggs from another lady here in town and I said...........

"No, thank you!" Yep, I did!! That's almost as huge as turning down a cigarette yesterday when Kendra was in surgery. Well, not quite the same. I didn't take the eggs. I did take the smoke. I know, don't say it - I don't wanna hear it and I've already said it myself. <sigh>

99.5 is the goal temp for forced air and 101.5 measured at the top of the egg is the goal temp for still air. 98 is too low and will cause slow development and possibly developmental problems in the embryos.

:thumbsup
:hugs I haven't seen Raptor in a really long time...

Thanks so much. I think so far my biggest problem has been figuring out which is the round end and which is the pointed. A few of the eggs looked round which concerned me cause I don't want to accidentally kill one of my chicks my placing it upside down. Any tricks for round eggs? The breeders/shippers did a great job on packaging. When I opened the box it took forever to get the eggs out of all the wrap and styrofoam. They really took the care to keep them from breaking and keeping their temps steady. :)

I have a super round egg in the incubator right now too. Must be the same girl laying all these round eggs. Candle and find the air cell, then you'll always know what end is up!
Hey guys if I put my 2 seperate orders of shipped eggs together ( they are a day apart) together in my new incubator how would I do lockdown?

I do not have a specific day that I lockdown. I lockdown once I see the first couple eggs starting to draw down. And on a few occasions I've stuck in an egg or two a day after I set. 24 hours does not make a real difference. Watch your air cells and pick a day and lock them all down.
Something killed my broody hen so this is the first time I'm incubating eggs. But I have no idea what day this egg is on. Can anyone help? TIA!

Ummm...I'm surprised it's not peeping at you!! Looks like you will have a pip very soon! :celebrate

Hey all. I just got my brinsea octagon 20. How much water should I put in to start off with? Also how do I know what I'm adjustin the temperature to? Thanks. :)

Did you get the cradle. It's different for everyone I can see because I fill both my wells to the tippy top (without the cradle and I only hit 40%. So I also add a little cup of water. Do you have a seperate hygrometer that's calibrated?

For some reason I am no longer getting ANY of my notifications from BYC. I checked my spam and my blocked list in my e-mail to make sure I didn't accidently send anything there, I've checked my BYC preferences and all my notifications are turned on and everything is kosher, so I'm getting annoyed!!!

Me neither!!! It's driving me nuts! Let me know if you figure out why!

Pictures! I snapped these really quick before slipping them under the broody.

The keets weren't keen to be photographed. If anyone can tell me the color of the light brown one in the middle I'd appreciate it. The color doesn't show well here - it's a light cinnamon color. The other ones are lavender and one pearl.

The CCL/AC cross I decided to keep:

I am trying to show restraint. I kept only two lavenders and the two unknown color keets. The pearl and the other lavender I'm selling. I'm also trying to keep only the one chick from this hatch - the others I'm selling! Except for one of the ACs, I believe I will be keeping that one back for my breeding flock.

So adorable!! Thanks for the pics! Do you let them free range? Do you sell eggs?

Is the thermometer that's in there reliable? It's sais 99 degrees but my digital sais 97. Which should I go with?

Check the blue liquid to make sure it didn't seperate. Do you have a calibrated thermometer?

Do you think a temp of 100 is to hot?

I always run 100.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom