Hands on hatching and help

CONGRATS
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

What is it with hens and nesting boxes?? Why do they all have to fight over the same place?  And what is up with monopolizing all of them??

Thank you! :hugs   BYC doesn't like to quote me.

Thanks. I don't think she is going to make it.  :hit

Good luck on the hatch.

I don't know what the deal was. Blue our ameraucana was laying on chatty Kathy head pecking her while she tried to lay. We have 6 nesting boxes. All were open lol.
Sorry about your little silkie. She may he looking bad but miracles do happen. Maybe she will still pull through. :(

She died. :hit

Omg I'm so sorry. How are the others? :hugs

I'm still worried about the broody that I have with chicks due tomorrow. She was crazy jealous about the first broody and attacked her, which is why I gave her eggs of her own. I hope being a momma is all she wanted.

Congrats to everyone else hatching! Please everyone keep updating! I may not comment, but I love reading about them all.

And where are all the pics, people??!? :D

Rotten day here today. Momma and the babies are on their way out. They are enclosed in the large dog carrier I have atm. I feel so awful. Momma decided to get so protective that she started getting aggressive with my little silkies. They were doing great, both were in and out of the coop, but if one of the babies got anywhere near the silkies, momma would go after the silkies and run them off. I had been making regular checks all day and on one of those checks I went in the coop and my favorite silkie, the splash looking one was huddled against the door with a couple of her siblings and her head was all bloody where the mamma must have cornered her and pecked the crap out of her head! One of the black ones is limping, not putting weight on her foot. I checked her over good. There's no visual signs of anything, so I am thinking she pulled something??? I brought the splash in and have been tending her head. She's a little more alert now, but I don't know what's going to happen. I'm so mad at myself and the momma. I know she's only being a good momma, and protective about her babies, but I never had this much aggression from the other two that brooded. I wish I had never moved her to the coop. Now I am just praying that my silkies are going to be ok. Of course as soon as I started pulling out the dog carrier to put it together we had a sudden downpour, thunder and lightning. Of course I had to get the momma and the babies out so I could get the silkies back in because the rest of them wouldn't go in the coop and they were getting drenched. So I had to towel them off once I got everyone back in and I am just beside myself. My nephew is going to try to come up and take the momma and babies either tomorrow or Friday. So a very emotional day on our chicken front.
Amy I am sorry you had this rotten day. Reminds me of my experience from years back---which is one reason why I separate all my broodies from the flock now and keep the chicks separated till they are adult size. I got tired of the chick killing and the bloody fights between the broody mom and the other hens. No More of that for me.

Last edited:
She died. :hit

Oh nooooooooo!!! :hugs :hit

Omg I'm so sorry. How are the others? :hugs

I'm still worried about the broody that I have with chicks due tomorrow. She was crazy jealous about the first broody and attacked her, which is why I gave her eggs of her own. I hope being a momma is all she wanted.

Congrats to everyone else hatching! Please everyone keep updating! I may not comment, but I love reading about them all.

And where are all the pics, people??!? :D

I don't remember if I posted these or not....

Amy I am sorry you had this rotten day. Reminds me of my experience from years back---which is one reason why I separate all my broodies from the flock now and keep the chicks separated till they are adult size. I got tired of the chick killing and the bloody fights between the broody mom and the other hens. No More of that for me.

X2

Back
Top Bottom