Hands on hatching and help

We have a zipper! For about the last 20 minutes or so now. Come on out baby Serama!

And. ..the lady I bought the eggs locally from just messaged to checkhire the hatch was coming and offered to drive over 5 Serama eggs so we can try to hatch it some buddies..she's on her way and told me these are on the house! Yay.

That's awesome! Come on little chick :jumpy

Lmfao I know my sanity went out the window the second I started keeping poultry lmao..

I know thats what happened to me. I'm almost embarrassed by the fact that my chicken time is my relaxing time. I find them peaceful and interesting. My husband lovingly calls me "The crazy chicken lady".
After being a stay at home Mom with 3 toddlers all within 3 yrs, I found myself not knowing how to answer people when they'd ask questions like ..."what do you like to do in your spare time?" Or "do you have any hobbies?" I felt like I didn't know myself anymore because I spent all my time taking care of others.
All of a sudden I've found something that I LOVE and jumped in with both feet. My husband is happy I've found something that I enjoy and have a way to kind of relax.
When I explain it to others, they kind of look at me weird and laugh. :p

Hey guys and gals. After I went back to sleep this morning to try to get a few more hours until my kids woke up,....I woke up to the Serama chickie having externally pipped and it looks like she is already trying to zip a little. I'm monitoring closely. The baby has its beak through and you can see it "trying". I need a quick shower and then I will reassess the situation. Today is day 22.
Yay!

that is why I emphasis LOOSELY.. Give the egg space to breath... in a forced air the towel will dry out quickly so I've had better making a cave more or less. I've never had one get tangled up or smothered Once you crack that shell (or the chick does), it starts to dry out quickly. I've tried sponges before similiar to your suggestion, but hey don't concentrate enough humidity to the egg.
My first few hatches I always wrapped 't a damp paper towel around the back of any egg that I had started an assist on to help keep the exposed membranes dry. I have a forced air and I always try to keep any pippers back and not directly under in the vicinity of the fan. I have never had a problem from using them. Now, I seldom use wet paper towels, for anything, but that is because I discovered the antibiotic ointment or vaseline works much better and I don't have to keep rewetting anything to keep the membranes moist

So I just noticed that six of my chicken eggs have pipped externally, which is good, but humidity was down to 23%!

-Kathy
Yay on the pippers! Good luck!

All types... it's like a mass epidemic of brain failure going on...
Oh, for the love of!!!

It just keeps going, and going...

Oops, hit submit before I was done... someone couldn't figure out why one of her hens kept getting picked on, posted pics and they're all roosters... people still kept insisting they separate and reintegrate into the flock...
lau.gif

I have an experiment if anyone is up for it. Or maybe it's a bad idea and someone can shed some light on it. I sold and shipped 2 dozen silkie eggs from NY to Alaska to a nice lady that I don't know. Well after she got the eggs she let me know they all arrived in one piece and then said and I quote "I won't be turning the eggs at all during incubation so I'm hoping at least some hatch!". I wrote back, in detail, about the importance of turning, especially in early incubation and about CAM development, etc, etc. Told her about how you can at least tilt loose air cells and incubate in cut down cartons. Of course, I never got a response. But it's had me thinking for a few days, has anyone had a successful hatch without turning at all?? Is she just dooming these eggs with even giving them a chance? I'm kinda tempted to experiment and not turn the eggs at all and see what happens. Any thoughts??
I wouldn't. I have a page bookmarked on what issues not turning can promote. Why wouldn't she turn?

Hi everyone. Just a quick question as I'm peeking in on my "lockdown" eggs. All 4 have drawn down, and this is my first time hatching, therefore first time seeing it. This is a real learning experience for me. I just want to make sure what I am seeing is normal. The eggs have drawn down on one side and then on the opposite side, I thought they had internally pipped at first. However, I think its their back or something that has come up a little over the last air cell line I drew. I can see it rising and falling as they breathe.
I was going to answer, but...

You are correct, that is their back... they've moved into position...
smile.png
xs 2

We have a zipper! For about the last 20 minutes or so now. Come on out baby Serama!
Yay!

And. ..the lady I bought the eggs locally from just messaged to checkhire the hatch was coming and offered to drive over 5 Serama eggs so we can try to hatch it some buddies..she's on her way and told me these are on the house! Yay.
That's great!

:clap finally

Sweet!! :yesss:

I know thats what happened to me. I'm almost embarrassed by the fact that my chicken time is my relaxing time. I find them peaceful and interesting. My husband lovingly calls me "The crazy chicken lady".
After being a stay at home Mom with 3 toddlers all within 3 yrs, I found myself not knowing how to answer people when they'd ask questions like ..."what do you like to do in your spare time?" Or "do you have any hobbies?" I felt like I didn't know myself anymore because I spent all my time taking care of others.
All of a sudden I've found something that I LOVE and jumped in with both feet. My husband is happy I've found something that I enjoy and have a way to kind of relax.

Most of us could say something very similar. I think we are in good company. :)

Sorry I missed your comment. I swear I'm always missing them lol. Yup I'm exactly the same as you except with 4 and my husband is not as supportive lol. He is coming around though and I've gone crazy over all this so I don't blame him lol. With 4 kids I lost definitely lost myself over the years. I do feel so much more meaning now. Of coarse I am also considered the crazy chicken lady lmao.. :p

Welcome to the world little Serama baby! @6:55pm (I can't figure out how to upload pictures. ...I have a phone and a computer but it won't upload for some reason)

Back
Top Bottom