Hands on hatching and help

Checked on my incubator today (no eggs in it but it keeps my cat's saline fluid warm) to find the auto turner had tried to flip the whole thing upside down. After some investigation, a piece of plastic holding the turning mechanism to the motor had broken. I'm currently trying to superglue it back together. If that doesn't work, guess I'll have to call in my warranty!

Checked on my incubator today (no eggs in it but it keeps my cat's saline fluid warm) to find the auto turner had tried to flip the whole thing upside down. After some investigation, a piece of plastic holding the turning mechanism to the motor had broken. I'm currently trying to superglue it back together. If that doesn't work, guess I'll have to call in my warranty!
I'd already be calling gluing plastic is a pain. Super glue almost never works . The best glue for all types of plastic is Oatley heavy duty PVC glue . I have a hand grabber and stepped on and broke the plastic handle in three pieces the other day . Used my pipe glue to fix it . It works great but you have to use all three steps for best results . That is use the cleaner and the primer before gluing . The cleaner and primer will last forever if you keep the lids tightly closed . The glue not so much so. I have fixed chick waters plastic head lights marker lights and other plastic car parts with this glue . Small artist paint brushes work best for applying the cleaner primer and glue and the smallest cans will do a lot of gluing . It's the only thing I've found that will glue and hold most plastics . The one draw back is whatever the primer touches will be purple including skin .

I'd already be calling  gluing plastic is a pain.  Super glue almost never works . The best glue for all types of plastic is Oatley heavy duty PVC glue . I have a hand grabber and stepped on and broke the plastic handle in three pieces the other day . Used my pipe glue to fix it . It works great but you have to use all three steps for best results . That is use the cleaner and the primer before gluing . The cleaner and primer will last forever if you keep the lids tightly closed . The glue not so much so. I have fixed chick waters plastic  head lights marker lights and other plastic car parts with this glue . Small artist paint brushes work best for applying the cleaner primer and glue and the smallest cans will do a lot of gluing . It's the only thing I've found that will glue and hold most plastics . The one draw back is whatever the primer touches will be purple including skin .

Thanks! After reading this I've purchased some of what you recommended on Amazon. I'm hoping to fix it quick because I might have eggs coming next week and I want to have the turner. I'm thinking sending it back and getting a replacement is going to take awhile, and I really want the turner for my eggs. So if my superglue doesn't work I'll have this as a backup.

So...when do I help if need be? ;) I am new to incubating and I just had my first chick hatch early this morning!! An other egg actually pipped first but it's been over 24 hrs and it's just now starting to get a bigger hole going. Do I need to help with the zipping or how long can I wait before it's too late? It's moving and I can see feathers and hear an occasional chirping. I was trying to be hands off as much as possible and keep things closed during lockdown lol but I already broke that rule. My humidity is 70% and temp 100.4 even after opening for a quick moment. ;)
This egg is very special to me because it's mom was my favorite Polish that was just killed by a hawk right in front of me. :( I am so invested in the baby now!!! I need it to survive. I will do whatever it takes.

So...when do I help if need be? ;) I am new to incubating and I just had my first chick hatch early this morning!! An other egg actually pipped first but it's been over 24 hrs and it's just now starting to get a bigger hole going. Do I need to help with the zipping or how long can I wait before it's too late? It's moving and I can see feathers and hear an occasional chirping. I was trying to be hands off as much as possible and keep things closed during lockdown lol but I already broke that rule. My humidity is 70% and temp 100.4 even after opening for a quick moment. ;)
This egg is very special to me because it's mom was my favorite Polish that was just killed by a hawk right in front of me. :( I am so invested in the baby now!!! I need it to survive. I will do whatever it takes.

Can you post a pic?

Sorry it's as good a pic as I can get through the incubator window :/ they always seem a bit foggy in the photos. It's really wiggling and trying I just saw another little tiny piece of shell come off. I don't see a beak...just feathers.

Back
Top Bottom