Hard molt or something else?

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
I have been finding what looks like explosions of feathers in the coop in the morning. Some hens have lost some but not bald. But a couple of my hens have lost a bunch of feathers. The first one seems to be growing them back. The latest hen looks like she lost a bunch literally overnight. Is this normal for molting? Attaching a pic. She is a Buckeye. Thank you

Attachments

• 20231012_132509.jpg
    20231012_132509.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 377
Oh dear! She certainly is molting hard. Yes it looks like a normal hard molt to me.

Some extra protein during molt often helps speed the regrowth. Many use canned fish (I myself use mackerel). I haven't give cat food but many do as it is very high in protein.

Offering a 20% protein feed like all flock or chick starter is another option.

Oh dear! She certainly is molting hard. Yes it looks like a normal hard molt to me.

Some extra protein during molt often helps speed the regrowth. Many use canned fish (I myself use mackerel). I haven't give cat food but many do as it is very high in protein.

Offering a 20% protein feed like all flock or chick starter is another option.
Thank you! I can get canned salmon or tuna or mackerel as soon as I get back home tomorrow. I had been giving them mealworms and some scrambled eggs, but with 20 hens each just gets a small bit. I'll give her extra!

Thank you. I wondered if she might be walking sideways because she is uncomfortable

She definitely could be. I've had birds look and act very ill when going through a molt like this, including not wanting to move much because they felt so uncomfortable. I haven't personally had a bird walk sideways during a molt. I could definitely see that happening, though. The new feathers really don't feel nice for them when they are coming in.

She definitely could be. I've had birds look and act very ill when going through a molt like this, including not wanting to move much because they felt so uncomfortable. I haven't personally had a bird walk sideways during a molt. I could definitely see that happening, though. The new feathers really don't feel nice for them when they are coming in.
Thank you! I wanted to pick her up and bring her inside, because some of the hens have started picking on her, but i thought it might be uncomfortable. I did separate her while she ate some scrambled eggs.

She might be. The pin feathers can be painful when touched.

I have one girl who usually loves to be held, but squawks unhappily if I pick her up during molt.
Thank you, she is friendly but scared to be picked up normally and I figured she is probably uncomfortable, so i fed her and made sure she was safely in the coop for the night, then left them alone.

Back
Top Bottom