Harry horse & Charlie adventures! Horse chat & much more! Everyone welcome!

If that’s all driving time, that’s actually pretty reasonable. Here they give you far less driving time and it’s way more. The prices vary but the one I went to is now $750. I think it was cheaper when I went though, maybe $650 or even $550 but I’m not sure. It might not have been. That was a few years ago. I would need to ask my parents. But here is what that includes, and these are Massachusetts standards for everyone.

“Includes:
  • 30 Hours of Classroom Instruction
  • 12 Hours of Behind the Wheel Driving
  • 6 Hours of Observation
  • 2-Hour Parent Class
THAT'S 50 HOURS!”

Sooooo.... You only actually get 12 hours behind the wheel.... That said, you do need a lot more hours with your parents too I think before you can get your license, I think it’s like 40, not sure if that includes the drivers ed amounts, but still. The class is kinda useless imo. I guess learning the signs or rules is important but you can do that with driving. Also the test for the permit is on a computer and it’s random so everybody gets different questions but it is so freaking stupid because somebody could get a really easy question like what does a stop sign mean (really!?) while someone else gets some super specific question about blood alcohol level/math or about a truck license when you’re not even trying to drive a truck. I forget ho many questions there are exactly but not too many. But if you fail, you have to take it again and it costs like $30 every time you need to take it. I think I took it twice and then I took my road test twice too (first time I got so nervous I backed into the cones parallel parking lol). But you have to get your permit before the class too so you can do the road time stuff but that’s especially stupid because since you already passed the test, what’s the point of learning the info again!? I think you may have to take it again for the license but maybe not. Idk. But still.

Here are the prices and the ages here in MA.

Registry Fees:
These fees are additional and paid by you directly to the RMV.

• Learners Permit $30.00
  • License Application $35.00
  • Five Year Picture License $50.00
How Old?
  • Drivers Ed Course: 15.9 mos.
  • Learners Permit: 16 years old
  • License: 16 1/2 years old and must hold permit for 6 months

Wow KDOGG things are so different over here for getting a full driving license”

And wow Charlie sure is growing up

He sure is!

@rebrascora

Hope all is ok there for you Barbara? All set for the new year? I’m turning over a new leaf from tomorrow and making a real effort with H! At least once I’ve got rid of Scott’s man flu that he’s passed on :rolleyes:

Has plan B worked? Back to having a car each? :fl

Wow KDOGG things are so different over here for getting a full driving license”

He sure is!

They certainly appear to be!! So over there, you just take lessons and then take the road test? Is there any written part? Also, here it varies by state. Some states you can get your permit as young as 14!! I personally think putting babies behind the wheel is ridiculously stupid. Although that said, a lot of states do have license restrictions for teenagers, so for example, you can’t drive any friends for a while, or you can’t drive after a certain time at night, and stuff like that, and then you get your full license after a while, but 14 or even 15 is still pretty young imo. Also this could just be because I live in a somewhat rich town (even though we aren’t) but here a lot of parents buy their kids brand new cars and then the idiot kids speed, drink and drive, text and drive, sometimes crash it, etc. Stupid if you ask me. Kids should be driving a beater first. Jeeps are popular here too for some reason, maybe cause of the beach, but there are other cars too.

Also, it doesn’t say it there but Massachusetts has a law that says teenagers can’t use their cell phones at all while driving and everyone else (so adults) just can’t text but can make calls and stuff. New York actually bans all cell phone use for everybody so you’re even allowed to make calls when you’re driving.

They certainly appear to be!! So over there, you just take lessons and then take the road test? Is there any written part? Also, here it varies by state. Some states you can get your permit as young as 14!! I personally think putting babies behind the wheel is ridiculously stupid. Although that said, a lot of states do have license restrictions for teenagers, so for example, you can’t drive any friends for a while, or you can’t drive after a certain time at night, and stuff like that, and then you get your full license after a while, but 14 or even 15 is still pretty young imo. Also this could just be because I live in a somewhat rich town (even though we aren’t) but here a lot of parents buy their kids brand new cars and then the idiot kids speed, drink and drive, text and drive, sometimes crash it, etc. Stupid if you ask me. Kids should be driving a beater first. Jeeps are popular here too for some reason, maybe cause of the beach, but there are other cars too.

Personally I think 17 is still quite young to be behind the wheel! I’m feeling biased though because Charlie is still my baby in my head! :lol:
No they have to do a touch screen theory test here before you can take your practical test. No set times for practice here though & you do it when you feel ready for it. After passing the theory you have 2 years to pass the practical test or you have to do the theory again.
Full restrictions here on phones and driving for everyone in the UK. You get prosecuted if you’re caught with it in your hand regardless if you are using it or not. Which is how it should be in my book.

Personally I think 17 is still quite young to be behind the wheel! I’m feeling biased though because Charlie is still my baby in my head! :lol:
No they have to do a touch screen theory test here before you can take your practical test. No set times for practice here though & you do it when you feel ready for it. After passing the theory you have 2 years to pass the practical test or you have to do the theory again.
Full restrictions here on phones and driving for everyone in the UK. You get prosecuted if you’re caught with it in your hand regardless if you are using it or not. Which is how it should be in my book.

Yeah, I think 17 is still pretty young too. I mean the brain isn’t even fully developed until like late 20s. Adolescence goes all the way till 25. The thinking/rationing part of the brain isn’t even fully developed till then. Which is kind of the most important part for driving... not to scare you lol Charlie seems very mature for his age and I am not saying that nobody should drive until 25 or 27 or whatever, that’s just ridiculous, but when you think about just how long adolescence goes, putting 15 year olds behind the wheel seems truly insane.

And wow that’s a lot of time! Here I think you schedule the test after you complete driver’s education but you don’t have to do it right away I don’t think. And I didn’t even get my license until April 2016 and took the class that past fall (2015) so I was 22 so technically I didn’t have to take the class and didn’t have any driving restrictions but my parents made me take it because I think you get a reduction on your insurance if you do. But under 18, you have to take the class I am pretty sure.

And wow that’s a good rule. They should definitely have that here too. It varies state by state here. There is no federal rule on it that I’m aware of.

Back
Top Bottom