Has anybody tried to grow oca/New Zealand yam?

HenFriend

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2012
West Wales, UK
Bought some tubers from a catalogue and have started them off in pots in the greenhouse as the instructions suggested until the frost has passed. Had never heard of them before so if anyone has experience of growing these can they offer some tips?

I have not tried growing those. My interest is peaked now though. In which catalog did you order them? I would like to try and grow some in my garden this year. They can go next to my mystery patch. Planted spilled seed at the bottom of the bag can be fun. You never know what is going to pop up.

Thompson and Morgan. Is a UK company so don't know how easy it would be for you to get some. They looked like tiny sweet potatoes and the book said the leaves are like four leaf clover and you can eat those too. I guess it's a bit of a gamble as the last 3 summers here have been cold and wet but I canm't resist growing something new.

Thanks I will be looking for those now. A new growing challenge is always fun. Good luck with your yams. Yams are so yummy!
smile.png

I grew some a couple years ago that I got from a local nursery. I had it in a plastic tote and it grew well. I never got around to harvesting the tubers though, it was a crazy year for me at the time. My local alternative food cooperative has oca sometimes and I've cooked it, it's good, sort of what you'd expect from a tuber and more flavor than a potato. (Sorry I can't be more descriptive, it's been a while since I ate some.)

Oca grows well in damp shady places as well as sunny gardens. It's closely related to sourgrass (aka woodsorrel) that grows wild in forests.
smile.png

If you're interested in other unique tubers I'd recommend mashua (aka tuberous nasturtium, closely related to your common garden nasturtium), Jerusalem artichokes and yacon (both related to sunflowers). We got some of all of these from Peace Seedlings based in Corvallis, Oregon.

Last edited:
I am always interested in unique types of fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Your description was great hun thank you. There is a plant that makes fruit called Dragon fruit. I think I might be able to grow it here. It takes it two years before it bears fruit though. We are renting our house right now so I have not made up my mind about trying to grow it yet.

Dragon fruit is a beautiful fruit grown in Southeast Asia, Mexico, Central and South America, and Israel. The plant is actually a type of cactus, and the fruit comes in 3 colors: 2 have pink skin, but with different colored flesh (one white, the other red), while another type is yellow with white flesh. Dragon fruit is low in calories and offers numerous nutrients, including Vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, plus fiber and antioxidants.
Dragon fruit tastes wonderful! - sweet and crunchy, with a flavor that's like a cross between kiwi and pear.

Thompson and Morgan. Is a UK company so don't know how easy it would be for you to get some. They looked like tiny sweet potatoes and the book said the leaves are like four leaf clover and you can eat those too. I guess it's a bit of a gamble as the last 3 summers here have been cold and wet but I canm't resist growing something new.
Thanks for the info. I just looked them up online. They have a US branch that delivers here.
woot.gif
New seeds to add to my garden. Thank you.

I grew some a couple years ago that I got from a local nursery. I had it in a plastic tote and it grew well. I never got around to harvesting the tubers though, it was a crazy year for me at the time. My local alternative food cooperative has oca sometimes and I've cooked it, it's good, sort of what you'd expect from a tuber and more flavor than a potato. (Sorry I can't be more descriptive, it's been a while since I ate some.)

Oca grows well in damp shady places as well as sunny gardens. It's closely related to sourgrass (aka woodsorrel) that grows wild in forests.
smile.png

If you're interested in other unique tubers I'd recommend mashua (aka tuberous nasturtium, closely related to your common garden nasturtium), Jerusalem artichokes and yacon (both related to sunflowers). We got some of all of these from Peace Seedlings based in Corvallis, Oregon.

Thanks for the info, look forward to harvesting some in the autumn. Have successfully grown jerusalem artichoke before, delicious but plays havoc with digestion! Have found a seed company here in Wales 'The Real Seed Company' that sell some interesting tubers and also other unusual veg. Will try some next year, am very limited on space. Already got carried away planting and realised I didn't leave space for my parsnips and Chinese celery. Help!!!

Back
Top Bottom