Has anyone ever managed to save a sick quail?

Shellybean02

Chirping
Aug 30, 2015
One of my young quail is dying. I have no hope for her because I am not home. She has ruffled feathers, is very weak, keeps drooping her head, won't drink(it comes out of her nose), has runny stool and breathes through her mouth. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever managed to save a dying quail. Lots of threads end with the quail dying no matter how hard the owner tried. This is my second generation of quail and this never happened to the parents. I want to know in case any of my quail show signs of sickness. Thank you.

Update: she's gone. I only have one youngster left. Question: even though this doesn't have to do with sick quail, would it be okay to put the baby and his mommy with my two coturnix girls and trio of buttons? Colonies don't work for some people but the quail have been totally okay, it was the dad of the babies that was aggressive and had to be moved with his mate. He flew away so my guess is that the quail will be okay together, it's a pretty big cage but not walk-in. If it helps the baby is now 22 days old(about three weeks).

Second update: never mind that question, as soon as I tried it the silver male attacked both of them. The two will have to manage on their own together.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your quail died. We have managed to save a few by hand feeding them dissolved multi vitamins, human ones like Berrocca. Just a small piece dissolved in water and syringe fed to the sick quail as often as we can be bothered and it seems interested. Then we add chick starter to the liquid when it shows signs of improvement. This has worked for both baby quail and injured or sick adult quail. Has probably worked more often than not depending on the problem.

Anyone else have success stories? Or is it very hard to help sick quail? They are very strong birds for their size, so if they do get sick it must be very bad (almost irreversible)

Back
Top Bottom