Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
from naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot ?
I assume its comparable to Nustock... which I cant find locally
It says 25% lard bacon grease or Bag balm
73 percent sulfur powder
2 % pine tar oil
COMMENTS yall ? suggestions????
I am not too thrilled with buying lard... wont that attract flies or chickens will eat it off themselves
same with bacon grease??? someone commented coconut oil but thought too runny in hot weather PLus wouldnt they just eat it too???
I see my Baby Girl trying to eat the olive oil or vaseline off her legs when I appy it to them at nite....off their legs....
Doesnt that Bag Balm have not so good ingredients????? If I can remember seeing it in stores
thanks yall

Last edited:
i dont know just in case.... I think its a homemade "Nustock" ointment
anyone???????

Last edited:
I just made an ointment out of Calendula, Echinacea, Hypericum, aloe, vitamin E oil and beeswax to treat bumblefoot.
C E H combined are antibiotic, antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and blood purifiers.
But that had a specific purpose in mind. I don't think I'd just use an ointment for no reason. They don't need it. I really don't think I'd put bacon grease or tar oil on them.
This is the first time in many years of chicken keeping I've used anything. I just thought I'd give herbal a try since it is so hard to cure with antibiotics.

If your trying to have a antiseptic for open wounds then use Blue Kote spray. I can't see how bacon grease would work well if your trying to keep the chickens from pecking at the wound.

it is a recepe on that blog.............so dont yall think its like Nustock?????
I prob like to try it on their legs......cause that scaley leg protector is so expensive..... I recently use a paintbrush soft small one and olive oil or vaseline even mixed in some 90 plus pure sulfur.....got some food grade sulfur from Ebay and recently some 10 lb bags from a source someone listed on here....'Dude energy" out of Alabama.....
cause I know scaley leg is trying to happen on them. Like I mentioned before..my very first se tof chickens had it and I did know much then.. Gave that set of chickens away supp to a breeder...

Never used those ingredients, but we make a salve with comfrey infused olive or coconut oil mixed with melted beeswax that heals shallow cuts very fast, sometimes we also add oil infused with calendula to it.

I just made an ointment out of Calendula, Echinacea, Hypericum, aloe, vitamin E oil and beeswax to treat bumblefoot.
C E H combined are antibiotic, antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and blood purifiers.

Raw virgin coconut oil has anti microbial properties:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24328700/
I am new to chickens so know nothing about treating them. But I am interested in learning about possible holistic treatments.

yeah but wont they just eat it??? I l am crazy about the coconut oil myself.. But it doesnt like me. If I eat too much I develop horrible painful sores in my mouth....so bad I thought I must have mouth cancer.... I even buy the organic by the quart type over the net...The organic nonsugar finely coconut grated is so yummy
heck they peck at the olive oil now....Wont ants chase them too?
LOZUFY....... please share how yall make your salves? and anyone else
thank yall

Last edited:
I'd probably use coconut oil and beeswax (or maybe aloe, which doesn't taste amazing) before the bacon grease. As far as it attracting others to the wound, if it's on the leg you can wrap it in vet tape. Anywhere else and I'd probably try to put on a minimal amount and not let the other chickens see. They'll peck at open wounds anyway, no idea how an ointment would affect that.

Another great home remedy for wounds is manuka honey from New Zealand. It's pretty expensive, but it's done wonders for my family and I'd bet it'd work on chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom