Has anyone ordered chicks from "My Pet Chicken.com"?

I totally recommend MPC. My experience with them was stellar. Good communication, got exactly what I ordered, and I ordered 20 pullets and GOT 20 pullets. Easter Eggers, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Buff Orpington. What makes that remarkable was that I was stupid, didn't read information carefully, and didn't realize I could pre-order. Consequently my chicks arrived in February, smack in the middle of a 2 week period of temps around 19 below zero. I lost a couple out of that order because the post office held them overnight one more night in Casper, Wyoming, for some reason. MPC gave me a refund on those chicks even though it was not their fault.

I should also mention that I picked up 2 replacement chicks from a local feed store, plus 4 more. Got 3 roosters out of those 6. Yep, I'll stick to the more reliable sexing of MPC! Every single one of the live chicks I got from them are still thriving, giving me eggs, and I'm very happy.

Here to also add to the praise for MPC and recommend if there is something particular you want, and you want a variety, order soon! Their chick pre-orders for spring have been up for a couple weeks now and the most in-demand breeds start dwindling to later and later shipping dates or selling out pretty quickly. Especially if you want bantams! I ordered 3 weeks ago and got a white silkie, speckled sussex, buff laced polish, columbian wynadotte, easter egger, black jersey giant, buff orpington, and three plymouth rock varieties: barred, white and partridge. All sorts of colors and breeds, all hens.. they're hard to beat if you want variety without ordering multiples of any given color/breed.

My first order with them was great. I have not had to contact their customer support for any reason, but when I placed my second order of spring chicks and mentioned in the customer comment's section that I was pleased to be ordering a second time and loved my first chickens, they went out of their way to send an email letting me know they were happy to hear it. I appreciate little detail stuff like that a lot.

I just ordered what will be my first round of 8 chicks from MPC a couple weeks ago, so I'm glad to read people have had good experiences with them. I started with a Sebright rooster of undetermined age (he and I kinda found each other and stuck together) and a month later added 4 Golden Laced Polish hens that are about 7-9 months now. Didn't take long for what I believe is called "chicken math" to hit me. Can't wait to get the chicks in May!

Last edited:
When I first got chicks I started with them thinking there were better places out there... But had such good experience I've gone back to them every year. One year I had several losses just after arrival (but I think it was because tehre was an unfortunate extreme heat wave literally the day the poor things were probably in a truck somewhere on their way). I never reported it because I just felt like these things happen. One year one was dead on arrival. Last year I had 3 accidental roos.. They said they would replace upon next order.
Now - these sound like bad things but mind you I've ordered at least once a year the past 5 years or so... and each order has been at least 6... The past 2 years I got their brown layer assortment. Except for ending up with some breeds that irk me... It was really fun discovering new breeds that I might not have tried otherwise.

I just ordered next spring's chicks this morning. They have the exact combinations that I wanted... so I ended up going back with them. I order game fowl somewhere else... but the choice and convenience of MPC is too appealing to me. I got some absolutely gorgeous barnevelder's from them once... and I've always been pleased with the quality of what I've gotten.

I ordered the assorted brown egg layers which shipped Dec. 1. They arrived at our local post office on the 4:30 a.m. truck. The great USPS crew put the box where it could keep warm and called me at 6:30 a.m. to say they are ready to pick up -- didn't want to risk calling any earlier and invoking customer wrath.

Kudos to our USPS workers for their care and concern. They complimented My Pet Chicken.com for the shipping care (chicks have a heating pad, generous amount of excelsior in a perforated shipping carton. All 15 arrived safely and are growing like crazy. I highly recommend My Pet Chicken.com.

One note of caution: The website is so wonderfully detailed about caring for the new arrivals and puts quite a bit of stress on the importance of treating any pasty vent the chicks might have. Two of the 15 had upon arrival. By the next day, after the first full day on chick starter feed, half had developed pasty vent. Sure enough, dipping their little behinds into a bowl of warm water to soften the crust calmed them down to the point of being funny to watch. After that little health hiccup — natural to newborns adjusting to a new diet, I'm thinking — the little stinkers are stretching their little wings by day and sleeping together like a pile of puppies at night.

Enjoy your new little ones!!

Does anyone know how what they sell and ship differs from Meyers? Since Meyers basically drop ships for them? Does Meyer do a more thorough job of sexing the birds for MPC orders? Is the packaging better? Do they guarantee the sexing? After perusing this site for advice a reviews, I placed an order with Meyer vs MPC b/c they actually had better availability for 2015 and lower prices. But I really don't want to end up with a bunch of roos to re-home.

Back
Top Bottom