Hatch-A-Long: Two Colours In Each Eye? What Will Her Babies Be....?

Pics

-Flash-

Free Ranging
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
On the 1st of December I'm going to put some eggs in the incubator. (So they hatch on Summer Solstice! ☀️ )
I know it's early to be posting this but I have to do some preparations. *Rubs hands together gleefully*
This is an.... experimental hatch. I have a weird hen, who has two different colours in each eye. *Photo inserted below* Her name is.... Jenkins. (:gig) I'm going to breed her with my rooster Yavian (Pronounced: A vain) *Photo inserted below* I am hoping that the chicks that will hatch, will hatch with their mothers eyes. :fl
The experimental part is what I have dubbed the Refrigerator Test. (Dun, dun, dun, dun!!!) I'm going to refrigerate a bunch of eggs (Collected over a period of 1 week.) and then after they have been refrigerated (for 4 days) I'll put them in the incubator. The whole point of this experiment is to see if less roosters hatch from refrigerated eggs.

I'll start collecting the eggs on the 20th of November, put them in the fridge on the 27th of November, put them in the incubator on the 1th and (Hopefully :fl) hatch some on the 21st.

Yavian is half Pekin, half Aracuna. (If the hen we think is an Aracuna is an Aracuna) Jenkins is 3/4 Belgium Bearded D'uccle, and 1/4 Aracuna.
What colour will the chicks be? Will the chicks have the strange eyes? -We'll shall have to wait a while :mad:

*Photos*
Photo #1: Buddy, Aracuna?
Photo #2: Wings, Jenkins' Mum,
Photo #3: Jenkins,
Photo #4: Yavian,

Attachments

• IMG_7299.JPG
    IMG_7299.JPG
    561.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7297.JPG
    478.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7296.JPG
    IMG_7296.JPG
    642.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7301.JPG
    IMG_7301.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 19
Do you have a close-up of the strange eyes? I'm curious to see them. I have a hen with strange eyes, too (though she won't get to breed, so I can't say if the strange eyes are passed down or not).

Do you mean Araucana? ("Aracuna" doesn't mean anything). Araucanas are rumpless and have no tails. None of yours are Araucana. And better for them - Araucanas carry a lethal mutation, the one that causes them to not have a tail, and IMO should not be bred. That's how Ameraucanas came to be - they are an improvement on the Araucana, one that eliminates the lethal gene (hence why Ameraucanas do have tails).

Oooh, I love hatching experiments! :pop I'd also love to see these eyes a little closer! A lot of my Black Copper / Birchen Marans have had splotchy eyes with both brown and orange in them, so I'm wondering if maybe that's what you mean?

As far as Araucanas go, OP is in Australia, where Araucanas are tailed, have a small crest, and are bearded rather than tufted. It's the tufted gene that is lethal with two copies to my knowledge, not the rumpless gene. Rumpless can cause some fertility issues because it's harder for a rumpless male to properly mate, but it should not cause any lethality in embryos like two copies of the tufted gene does.

Oooh, I love hatching experiments! :pop I'd also love to see these eyes a little closer! A lot of my Black Copper / Birchen Marans have had splotchy eyes with both brown and orange in them, so I'm wondering if maybe that's what you mean?

As far as Araucanas go, OP is in Australia, where Araucanas are tailed, have a small crest, and are bearded rather than tufted. It's the tufted gene that is lethal with two copies to my knowledge, not the rumpless gene. Rumpless can cause some fertility issues because it's harder for a rumpless male to properly mate, but it should not cause any lethality in embryos like two copies of the tufted gene does.
This is the closest photo I can get of her, she HATES me. The grey hen is the one I'm talking about being a ARAUCANA. Look up: Australian Araucanas.

Do you have a close-up of the strange eyes? I'm curious to see them. I have a hen with strange eyes, too (though she won't get to breed, so I can't say if the strange eyes are passed down or not).

Do you mean Araucana? ("Aracuna" doesn't mean anything). Araucanas are rumpless and have no tails. None of yours are Araucana. And better for them - Araucanas carry a lethal mutation, the one that causes them to not have a tail, and IMO should not be bred. That's how Ameraucanas came to be - they are an improvement on the Araucana, one that eliminates the lethal gene (hence why Ameraucanas do have tails).
Oop! Yeah I meant Araucana!

Attachments

• IMG_2858.JPG
    IMG_2858.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom