Hatcheries that vaccinate for coccidiosis

Pampered chicken girl

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
I am going to get some chicks in a month or two and really want them vaccinated for mareks and coccidiosis (especially coccidiosis) but am having trouble finding hatcheries that do this. Do you know of any places that will do this.

**** yes I am sure I want them vaccinated. I have a flock of unvaccinated birds and have lost 2 birds to coccidiosis also I would like to be able to start them on organic food but also like knowing they're protected against coccidiosis.****
Thanks for the help,
Me and future flock members

This caught my eye. Totally random, but how could organic feed be an issue for chickens?

Inadequate nutrition. You've seen the labels, most Organic feeds are low on the amino acids hatchling chickens most need, two of which are significant in the development of the digestive tract (a key component of a chicken's resistance to many "bugs", such as the various coccidia strains) and its immune system, overall.

...and as we all know, weak and inferior birds are more prone to various stressors, all of which result in higher incidence of disease, and less satisfactory outcomes.

Inadequate nutrition. You've seen the labels, most Organic feeds are low on the amino acids hatchling chickens most need, two of which are significant in the development of the digestive tract (a key component of a chicken's resistance to many "bugs", such as the various coccidia strains) and its immune system, overall.
Okay thank you I will do more research on this too although I still want them vaccinated I have nothing against medicated feed just like vaccinated

If organic is your thing - and I'm not opposed to Organic *in theory*, its the reality of the practice I object to - many BYCers successfully "vaccinate" their birds against the local strains of coccidia by ensuring tiny exposures when they are very young - bringing a very small amount of local sand/dirt into the brooder box after 5-7 days or so, ensuring they get time to play on the local dirt (NOT in the adult chicken run) after about 10 days, before sharing space with the adult birds some time later (mine, between 7-10 weeks, they are seperated by a fence from the adults from three weeks till integration day).

The concept is the same as a "measles party", though the exposure is more controlled.
No guarantees, of course - in Life there never are - except that no one gets out of this alive.

I know Murray McMurray vaccinates. All of my birds are vaccinated, but a cople I hatched lost one to coccidiosis :( I feel your pain.
Yes I am so saddened and they were my favorite colors and 2 out of my four nicest. That's why I want vaccinated so I don't have to go through that again

...and as we all know, weak and inferior birds are more prone to various stressors, all of which result in higher incidence of disease, and less satisfactory outcomes.
Interesting. I had no idea. With that in mind, what should the amino acid level be? Assuming I could look at this on the complete nutrition analysis.

Back
Top Bottom