Hatchery Policies. Acceptable or Not Acceptable?

Phantomrider

In the Brooder
May 4, 2024
Hello everyone. I've been a BY Chicken, Turkey, and Guinea owner for over the last 15 years and I am quite fond of being their shepherd.

A couple of months ago, I decided to take chicken ownership/breeding up a notch. I looked into rare/uncommon breeds for my area. I specifically looked into breeds that were "auto sex" and colored egg producers.

I recently purchased an upgraded incubator/hatcher, brooders, and grow out pens from one company. I also ordered construction materials for large coops and runs from another. Last week I finally placed an order with a well known hatchery for 3 new flocks of rare breed auto sex chicks. I invested $853.00 for day old chicks to be shipped to me (the shipping rate alone was $100.00). The chicks were scheduled to ship
07/08/2024. My overall experience working with all 3 companies has been pleasant.

UNFORTUNATELY, due to an unforseen medical emergency, my world and plans have changed. Because of this event, I had to call and arrange cancelations for everything ordered and received to date. The only problem I have run into is with the Hatchery. I will remind you that the chicks were ordered in well over 2 months in advance, prior of hatch date. The chickens haven't even layed the future prospective eggs for the chicks for my order, and they are not expected to even ship for another 2 months and 3 days.

BUYER BEWARE. The Hatchery policy states you will forfeit 50% of your purchase price for any cancelation on your part. WHAT?!
How can any business justify pocketing 50% cost for a product that HASN'T BEEN PRODUCED YET?

Can someone please explain how this is even remotely possible or legal? How does the Hatchery justify any cost for any type of loss (inconvenience, shelf restock fee or used product)? Maybe I'm being hypersensitive because of the sudden trauma I've had to endure and I'm under a lot of stress, but this seems a bit extreme.

Wow! I'm sorry about this. They should have such a policy but narrow that timeframe down to perhaps 30 days prior. That seems more reasonable as I'm sure they have to arrange for the breeding and nests for the hens to produce what's ordered and the orders give them a guideline of what to expect. If it was an onslaught of orders, they may even be purchasing more breed stock to fulfill those. That said, a month should be sufficient though.

Is there a way perhaps you could still accept the chicks and then resell them in a Facebook poultry group for your area of your state, assuming you're in the U.S. You could ask what you paid to only those that can pick them up or meet you halfway.

Wow! I'm sorry about this. They should have such a policy but narrow that timeframe down to perhaps 30 days prior. That seems more reasonable as I'm sure they have to arrange for the breeding and nests for the hens to produce what's ordered and the orders give them a guideline of what to expect. If it was an onslaught of orders, they may even be purchasing more breed stock to fulfill those. That said, a month should be sufficient though.

Is there a way perhaps you could still accept the chicks and then resell them in a Facebook poultry group for your area of your state, assuming you're in the U.S. You could ask what you paid to only those that can pick them up or meet you halfway.
Hi, thank you for the response. I can understand a small admin fee, $20.00 - $25.00.
I don't have any way of housing the chicks. I have returned all equipment involved, and canceled future delivery of materials.
The chicks would be coming from another state. I'm south central U.S. and they are on the east coast.
With everything that's going on, advertising, selling, making picknup schedules, and being available for pick up is out of the equation.

How far up the chain did you escalate this?

I used to work in customer service and thanks to a few knowledgeable folks as well I learned what to do as a customer when there's an issue that must be resolved.

Don't do the acceptance thing.
Representative: "Our policy requires ..."
Customer: "Oh, dang, okay."
Nooo! It's not okay, don't give up at the first roadblock.

They cannot hang up on you. You don't have to be mean, or harsh, just outlast them. Very politely just stay on the line. Repeat yourself "No, this is not acceptable." "Please understand, I know this is not your fault, and I know you don't want to deal with this, so please escalate the matter to your boss, I will stay on the line." (have your phone charged to 100%)

They will try to get you off the line for some excuse or another, don't make it easy for them.
When one of them says they are the supervisor, ask for the person above them. Eventually you find a person who isn't claiming they don't have any power because of a policy.
Then, in simple terms, explain yourself again. It really takes a lot of patience. Tell them of the sudden health issue. Someone, somewhere in that company has the power to intervene on your behalf. Stay nice so they actually want to help when you finally get ahold of them, but be a dog with a bone. There is only one acceptable outcome. You need a full refund. There's plenty of time for them to adjust. There's no logical rationale for charging you anything.
Sorry for the book.

I used to work in customer service and thanks to a few knowledgeable folks as well I learned what to do as a customer when there's an issue that must be resolved.

They cannot hang up on you. You don't have to be mean, or harsh, just outlast them. Very politely just stay on the line. Repeat yourself "No, this is not acceptable." "Please understand, I know this is not your fault, and I know you don't want to deal with this, so please escalate the matter to your boss, I will stay on the line." (have your phone charged to 100%)

They will try to get you off the line for some excuse or another, don't make it easy for them.
When one of them says they are the supervisor, ask for the person above them. Eventually you find a person who isn't claiming they don't have any power because of a policy.
Then, in simple terms, explain yourself again. It really takes a lot of patience. Tell them of the sudden health issue. Someone, somewhere in that company has the power to intervene on your behalf. Stay nice so they actually want to help when you finally get ahold of them, but be a dog with a bone. There is only one acceptable outcome. You need a full refund. There's plenty of time for them to adjust. There's no logical rationale for charging you anything.
Sorry for the book.

Sorry for the book.
All communications have been through email. They don't answer the phone.
The Hatchery is Greenfire Farms.
I have learned a little about them in the last 24 hours. It seems there are 50/50 reviews on their customer service. I have yet to come across anything regarding this policy, though.
I have been polite in my emails and have yet to reach anyone by phone.

Hello everyone. I've been a BY Chicken, Turkey, and Guinea owner for over the last 15 years and I am quite fond of being their shepherd.

A couple of months ago, I decided to take chicken ownership/breeding up a notch. I looked into rare/uncommon breeds for my area. I specifically looked into breeds that were "auto sex" and colored egg producers.

I recently purchased an upgraded incubator/hatcher, brooders, and grow out pens from one company. I also ordered construction materials for large coops and runs from another. Last week I finally placed an order with a well known hatchery for 3 new flocks of rare breed auto sex chicks. I invested $853.00 for day old chicks to be shipped to me (the shipping rate alone was $100.00). The chicks were scheduled to ship
07/08/2024. My overall experience working with all 3 companies has been pleasant.

UNFORTUNATELY, due to an unforseen medical emergency, my world and plans have changed. Because of this event, I had to call and arrange cancelations for everything ordered and received to date. The only problem I have run into is with the Hatchery. I will remind you that the chicks were ordered in well over 2 months in advance, prior of hatch date. The chickens haven't even layed the future prospective eggs for the chicks for my order, and they are not expected to even ship for another 2 months and 3 days.

BUYER BEWARE. The Hatchery policy states you will forfeit 50% of your purchase price for any cancelation on your part. WHAT?!
How can any business justify pocketing 50% cost for a product that HASN'T BEEN PRODUCED YET?

Can someone please explain how this is even remotely possible or legal? How does the Hatchery justify any cost for any type of loss (inconvenience, shelf restock fee or used product)? Maybe I'm being hypersensitive because of the sudden trauma I've had to endure and I'm under a lot of stress, but this seems a bit extreme.
Sorry this happened to you. I can imagine how excited you were to start your chicken adventure only to have it take a back seat because of a health emergency.
I couldn’t believe that you are being charged 50% even with 2 months to go!! I went on Green Fire’s website and I DID in fact find where it states you will be charged 50%
If you go the FAQ drop down and scroll down to “Can I adjust my order after it has been placed”
Where it says “Removing chicks” it states you will forfeit 50% of the cost of the chicks you’re removing from your order.

I can’t believe that!!! I think that’s terrible business practice! Things happen and orders have to change but they shouldn’t get to keep 50% of something that doesn’t even exist yet!!
I think since you’re gonna be $400 in it for the chicks anyway, just like the other poster mentioned, I think you should get them and use the next 2 months to make arrangements for them to have new homes. You can keep them in a tote box with paper towels and a heat source for a while. You could have a chance to make your money back.
I don’t think I’ll ever be ordering from Green Fire.

Sorry but I just thought of something else you could do….
Maybe you can find someone to buy you out. Pay you what you paid or close to it, and just change the shipping address on your GF order.
I hope you can figure something out and not be out that much money.

All communications have been through email. They don't answer the phone.
The Hatchery is Greenfire Farms.
I have learned a little about them in the last 24 hours. It seems there are 50/50 reviews on their customer service. I have yet to come across anything regarding this policy, though.
I have been polite in my emails and have yet to reach anyone by phone.
Have never used or heard of them, or if they are a respectable hatchery or not. But looking at their site they have one of the most complete lists of their policies that I have seen from hatteries. We always need to read policies before entering into agreements. Their ordering policy. CHICK ORDER CANCELLATION. If we do not ship the chicks by the estimated ship date, you may cancel your order and immediately receive a full refund. If you cancel or remove chicks from your order for any reason other than our inability to timely ship then you will forfeit 50% of the cost of birds removed from your order. This cancellation/change fee applies as soon as you complete your purchase so please be confident with your order before you place it. Cancellation requests must be made by the Thursday before your scheduled ship date to allow time for us to find a home for the chicks that were reserved for you. Cancellations made after the Thursday before your scheduled ship date forfeit 100% of the cost of the order. There are no exceptions to this policy.

You've educated us of the importance of knowing their cancellation policies before placing an order ! I've been to their website many times and looked at all the breeds but I've never placed an order there. I'm happy with my hatchery quality auto-sexed breeds in spite of them not meeting the standard .Mine came from Murray McMurray

Back
Top Bottom