Hatchery recommendations

cindyloowhoo

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
I know that I asked this previously and cannot find the thread! Would like recommendations on hatcheries for ordering chicks to be shipped to me.

Also, I'll be getting 4 new babies tomorrow or Thursday, if I order other ones and receive them a few days to a week after my newest ones, will there be a problem putting them all in together?

Thanks so much,

I've been very happy with Cackle and MurrayMcMurray, over several orders, over many years. However, your location, and the weather, and your breed choices, all matter.
A decent hatchery within driving distance, with on-site pickup, might be a good place to shop.
Within a week or so should be fine, but do pay attention to the weather forecast!
Mary

I looked into hatcheries near me when I started searching. I have two that are within 3 hours of me. I also looked at shipping prices and breed availability when I was ready for them to be shipped. I ended up picking Mt Healthy. They are 1 1/2 hours from me ( I still had the chicks shipped) and received the chicks within 24 hours of hatching. They had the three breeds I wanted for layers and they also had Freedom Rangers, which I wanted for meat chickens. Everyone arrived healthy and active. I haven’t lost any of them yet (6 weeks). I wish I had ordered a bigger batch of the Freedom Rangers but I wanted to make sure they were what we wanted first. When I order in the future, I may skip shipping and pick them up since the hatchery is so close.

I looked into hatcheries near me when I started searching. I have two that are within 3 hours of me. I also looked at shipping prices and breed availability when I was ready for them to be shipped. I ended up picking Mt Healthy. They are 1 1/2 hours from me ( I still had the chicks shipped) and received the chicks within 24 hours of hatching. They had the three breeds I wanted for layers and they also had Freedom Rangers, which I wanted for meat chickens. Everyone arrived healthy and active. I haven’t lost any of them yet (6 weeks). I wish I had ordered a bigger batch of the Freedom Rangers but I wanted to make sure they were what we wanted first. When I order in the future, I may skip shipping and pick them up since the hatchery is so close.

I live about 2 hours from Mt. Healthy and had looked them to pick up from. Shipping is just a killer for me .I would rather pick up and know they are being watched on their journey. Better a couple hour car ride than 12-24 plus hours in the mail.

I live about 2 hours from Mt. Healthy and had looked them to pick up from. Shipping is just a killer for me .I would rather pick up and know they are being watched on their journey. Better a couple hour car ride than 12-24 plus hours in the mail.
I am very happy with my chickens from them so if you can pick them up I would say order from them! My post office is awesome so I have less worries than I have seen others having. They called me at 6am to let me know my chicks were there and were very helpful and friendly. I am going to put in another order in a couple of months to raise another batch of meat chickens. The down side is they won’t have anymore Freedom Rangers for this hatching season so I will have to go with Cornish Crosses. I have looked at other hatcheries but their shipping is so outrageous and I really don’t want to use another hatchery since Mt Healthy was good to me the first time around. I added a couple of pics of my pullets.

Attachments

• F31732D4-ED3A-46AF-B8F1-3A4E8B2C9C9A.jpeg
    F31732D4-ED3A-46AF-B8F1-3A4E8B2C9C9A.jpeg
    903.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 94446402-8FEC-431C-A8BB-1C597B76B03B.jpeg
    94446402-8FEC-431C-A8BB-1C597B76B03B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom