Hatchery sending extras?

I will only get my chicks from hatcheries from here on out. I started by ordering 25 pullets online at about $3 each. Then when they were about 3-4 weeks old I picked out my half and listed the other half on Craigslist at $6 each and they sold the same day! I should have listed them for more, seriously. I kept contact with the person and it turned out we had 100% pullets, so that worked out well. We didn't lose any in shipping, so the experience was wonderful.

Just a few month ago I decided to add 6 new pullets and a cockerel to my flock and got them from a breeder... never again! I realized within a few days the birds were in poor shape. Luckily I had put them in their own run, but they shared a fence. Then started realizing one had a bacterial infection in her eye so bad her eye had an ulcer behind it. I had taken her to the vet because I feared for my entire flock now. $200 later she's my favorite lol. I also discovered they had a horrible case of lice... again, they shared air space with my prior flock so I had to treat all 20 birds for lice, no fun. Then I caught one sneezing and feared the dreaded incurable respiratory thing (can't remember the name) that causes you to have a closed flock forever and they will always be carriers. Rushed her to the vet only to find out she was perfectly healthy and now I was jumping at every little sound. Point is, I had 12 beautiful healthy girls and I risked them all with what I did.

I'm happy to say I have 20 healthy birds finally (despite one being blind in an eye) but I will never ever again buy birds from anywhere but a hatchery. As a matter of fact I have 6 new pullets on order for May... but they'll be raised in their brooder beyond the quarantine period. Since my order is smaller this time, if I get any "packing peanuts" I'll just list them for free on Craigslist once I determine they are cockerels. But now that I'm typing this... you have me wondering if I should just order large again and sell half... hmmmmm.... it worked very well last time....

I always order from My Pet Chicken and have always gotten just what I ordered. When ordering smaller orders it's best for the chicks if you wait until it's warmer out in your area, as well as the hatchery area, so they don't suffer and potentially die. I get mine at the end of May just for that reason.

I have bought birds from swap meets, it is always risky as far as diseases they could be carrying. Most hatchery chicks are less likely to have stuff that you don't want to bring on your premises.

Got the breed chart in my bookmarks... It isn't complete, but it's pretty good. Those are good breeds. A lot of them will be available at the LFS. I have 2 LFS and they get different breeds from each other, though the recommendation to get from one source is good. I see Wyandottes, but they are usually gold or silver laced. They get shipments every two weeks. If you talk to them ahead of time you may be able to find out what breeds they have planned for delivery on what dates and plan accordingly.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
Love the info but you have to speak Newbie please. What is LFS? And how do I find your bookmarks? Thanks :) Im sure this is yet another dumb question by me, I hope Im entertaining you all with my ignorance.

I ordered mine from a Hatchery for June arrival - the arrival date was determined by when they would have all of them available at the same time.
I ordered 8.....
Plymouth Barred Rock
Buff Orpington
Lavender Orpington
Wellsumer
Easter Egger
Rhode Island Red
2 - Silkies

They all arrived in good condition from OH to GA with No extras. They all turned out to be the correct sex - 8 eggs today!
The other cool thing - knock on wood - there has been no pecking order drama at all. The only time I ever see any issues at all is when I throw treats into the run, if the Silkies get under another bird, they are quickly corrected.
Enjoy your adventure!

A lot of hatcheries have minimum orders, though some use other means. Some hatcheries vary that minimum order by the calendar. The idea is that they want enough chicks in the box to keep each other warm during shipping.

Hatcheries hatch a lot more boys than they need, that’s because they can’t control sex and most people want pullets. Often, especially if the weather forecast calls for cold weather, they give you for free some of those extra boys to help keep the others warm. Each hatchery is different but a lot of them might do this, usually with no advanced warning. I suggest you call the hatchery and discuss this. Some will not send packing peanuts if you ask them not to. Or if they do send them, if you ask them to they will usually mark them, usually with a drop of food coloring.

So what can you do if you get some? Advertise them for free on Craigslist. They didn’t cost you anything so get someone to take them off your hands.

Before you order, find someone to split the order with you. If you order enough together you may not get any. Or maybe your partner will take them off your hands. Just discuss it ahead of time.

If it were me I’d be happy to get them. I raise mine mostly for meat anyway and that’s a bunch of cockerels that will make a good meal. But you may not want to go that route.
Hmm too bad you dont live closer. Id happily give them to you. Its not that Im dead set against roosters its just I dont want to annoy my neighbors. Funny about getting someone to split them with me, all my friends and relatives think Im crazy. Oh well, could hopefully find someone if that should happen. Thanks

Yes, the planning is lots of fun. The possibilities seem endless as chicken math creeps in, but space is ultimately the limiting factor. (Chicken math: a highly contagious virus affecting chicken-keepers and prospective chicken-keepers. The virus is characterized by euphoric emotional states, especially when the following stimuli are present: poultry catalogs, chick-days at the feed store, pictures of baby chicks, and contact with BYC posters. There is currently no known cure. Temporary symptom relief is obtained via the procurement of chickens, especially baby chicks.)

For starting out, you're wise to begin with a small number of female chicks (pullets). I've had very good luck with Meyer Hatchery (Ohio). Their minimum order is 3 chicks, beginning in April, and you would be wise to order now for spring delivery when it's safer to ship. Alternatively, sometimes a feed store will have a batch of all pullets, but you probably won't get the nice variety you're looking for. Your breed list is very nice. I've had most of these breeds, but can tell you that hatchery-stock barred rocks have been a mixed bag. About half have been great members of the flock, while the other half did not play nice with others. Dominiques are similar in color to barred rocks, but a bit smaller, and they tend to be very friendly.
I love the chicken math disclaimer:) Sent it to my family because I am surely infected. Im going to go check out Dominiques. I know nothing about those. Thanks for the laugh and help.

Hmm too bad you dont live closer. Id happily give them to you. Its not that Im dead set against roosters its just I dont want to annoy my neighbors. Funny about getting someone to split them with me, all my friends and relatives think Im crazy. Oh well, could hopefully find someone if that should happen. Thanks

Time to make new friends
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom